Sign in to follow this  
Steku

We will wait a year for multiple screen functionality :(

Asobo definitely learned the lesson of releasing unsucicciently tested patches and they will slow the pace, they are going to release (according to 19/11 development update) "Sim updates" every 2-3 months. In Q1-Q2 2021 they plan to introduce beta approach which should improve the quality, assuming they will listen to beta testers. This will however, slow their pace even more. 

For those of us waiting for multiple screen functionality there is a bad news - they foresee it in 2021-2022 😞

So the MSF2020 is not going to be the sim of choice for cockpit builders. Seems like MS is going to target more the market of casual players using consoles and they will apply their development resources there. 

Seems like a big change in the approach, looks to me like somebody got fired and new management taking over, but this is just a guess.

Edited by Steku

10 minutes ago, Steku said:

Asobo definitely learned the lesson of releasing unsucicciently tested patches and they will slow the pace, they are going to release (according to 19/11 development update) "Sim updates" every 2-3 months.

Where did they said the frequency of patches will be a lot less frequent? Patches and content updates are not the same thing. "Sim updates" mean content updates, like the Japan update in September, and the US update in November, two months apart. Patches mean bugfixes, and I don't see any mention in the development update that patches will now only come every two or three months.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

As my post title suggests, the main issue impacting my setup is the decision to release multiple display support "2021-2022", definitely not a priority. 

But I understand this from the business point of view, they will probably have more customers eager to play with VR googles vs. the hard core simmers with multiple displays and home ckockpits.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

Where did they said the frequency of patches will be a lot less frequent? Patches and content updates are not the same thing. "Sim updates" mean content updates, like the Japan update in September, and the US update in November, two months apart. Patches mean bugfixes, and I don't see any mention in the development update that patches will now only come every two or three months.

They have previously said that going forward World Updates (Patches) are every 2-3 months, and Sim Updates (Patches) will be every 2-3 months, roughly interleaved inbetween the World Updates, such that every 1-1.5 months we get a bunch of "new stuff".  There may be smaller bugfix patches inbetween those, but that's what they have said about the big patches.

I believe Patch 5 was the first official Sim Update, based on some prior comments in the Q&As.  So we're a ways out from Sim Update 2 (end of January) and Sim Update 3 (end of April).

It would be nice if they extended out the roadmap portion (which now ends next week) to go with the updated language in the feedback snapshots. 

Disappointed to see the official G1000/G3000 updates continue to slide to the right from February to April as well.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

I was just looking forward to the performance update they announced, but I don't know how to interpret the new schedule now or when to expect it.

I was still hoping for next Tuesday but it isn't clear now.

As for multiscreen versus VR, although I am not a VR fan (yet 😁), it maybe makes more sense to develop whatever is the cheapest, more accessible, and more functional and flexible first. 

Although there are some cockpit building enthusiasts out there, I thing VR will be more popular than having multiple screens.  I will probably give it a go at some point.

Another thing I dont understand though is they said they already used multiscreen in their own DR400 cock-up of a mock-pit 🙂, so surely most of the code is already there.

I am beginning to think they are using the Star Trek Scotty principle of quoting over long completion times to ensure they don't disappoint.  I dare say a lot of us have done that!   

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Is there written evidence somewhere regarding the delay of multi-monitor support?

That’s one huge let-down for me, as it is pretty much all I was waiting for to get back into flying : (

• Like 1

16 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

It would be nice if they extended out the roadmap portion (which now ends next week) to go with the updated language in the feedback snapshots. 

From this week's update:

Sim Updates are core updates that will be coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator. There will be a major Sim Update every two to three months. Stay tuned for next week’s Dev Update for a rough schedule of our future releases now through February.

Give people power to really test their personality.

2 hours ago, Lurk said:

Is there written evidence somewhere regarding the delay of multi-monitor support?

That’s one huge let-down for me, as it is pretty much all I was waiting for to get back into flying : (

yes go see the blog post/notes

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:32 PM, Steku said:

For those of us waiting for multiple screen functionality there is a bad news - they foresee it in 2021-2022 😞

Thanks for the heads up Steku. Wow that's bad news.  This was promised in the Episode 4 video on cockpits.  They even showed a video of a hardware cockpit in use with MSFS.  This rules out MSFS for me until multi monitor support becomes available. 

Rich Cooke 

There is a video of a well known flight simmer who did manage to use multi screen setups, he also mentions the software he is using:

YouTube

Anyway he was moderate frustrated about the installation of MSFS.

1 year is nothing compared to half a century, simmers have to wait for a serious GA. Luckely I`m not waiting.

I use multi screens pretty much the same way I duo in X-plane right now.

In X-plane to use the "real" multi screen features is too hard on FPS so I do the same as I do in the photo below of my 4 screen setup.

126991275_5233920713300386_2649646138003

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

I think we are looking to mid to late 2022 until MSFS starts to become the proper and mature airliner sim:

-DX12 implementation and engine is optimized (ie stutters are resolved completely)
-VR has been fleshed out and better hardware exists (wider FOV etc)
-Support for multiple PC's / screens.
-PMDG and other airliners to fly
-flight models have improved.
-Clouds 2.0

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

soo ... 2021

is that not just 5 weeks away ?

In the November 19th development update they annouced 2021-2022. I would say this is more than a year away. I believe they decided to put their assets solely into VR, as Reverb G2 they promote utilizes MS "Windows Mixed Reality". G2 sales will probably mean licence fees to MS, while MS has no financial interest in selling more displays or GPUs required to drive them.

They are developing MFS2020 to earn money, not from the pure love of flight simming.

Edited by Steku

You can still span the image over three monitors with Nvidia Surround. You just can't assign different views to different monitors. Right?

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s