Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

World Update II: United States (Update #7) is now live!

The fact that Stewart International airport is one of the airports updated is pretty funny.  I’ve flown there many times in a 172 and, while it’s fun because it has such a long runway, it could be the most inconsequential airport of any of the local NY regional airports.  It’s served by maybe 3 airlines and has a relatively small military area.  It’s actually mind boggling that anyone not from around New York would even know this airport existed—let alone divert resources to improving it.  

KHPN( Westchester) literally 50 or so miles away would have been a much better option as the amount of biz jet travel, airline travel and GA traffic is far more. 

• Upvote 1

Ooooh Ooooh, Ooh Ooh. Horshack Dam is in the updates!

1sb8bZ2.jpg

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I'll give it a shot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dworshak_Dam?

And to think, that show only lasted 4 years, and Saved by the Bell is coming back (oh brother), I guess that pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with this world?

OK - let's not go too off topic...

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, JughedJones said:

Anybody flown over Portland Oregon?

Has there been an improvement?

I just did a quick test flight in Portland...

• Bridges: Still BLEEEGGHHH. I know what bridges they are, but they're still wrong, and solid—it looks like you can't fly under them. This is affecting both those bridges over the Willamette and the Columbia. Although, the I-205 bridge over the Columbia looks like it is "fly-underable," but I haven't tried. Sellwood, Glenn Jackson (I-205 at Oregon City), and old Oregon City Bridges are also affected.
  • Oregon Convention Center: The green glass spires seem better rendered?
  • Satellite photos on the central eastside: At launch there was a weird color issue where colors would randomly shift in the imagery and they weren't matched together. This seems to have been corrected.
  • Mt. Hood: At least from flying in Portland, it seems like Mt. Hood should be "pointier?" It seems a bit too rounded.

Edit: Also, I got a "SINK ALERT" warning for the first time ever...

Edit 2: I-205 over the Columbia is "fly-underable," BUT! The bridge isn't quite properly modeled, showing the small median center gap separating directions of traffic, and most importantly, traffic on I-205 doesn't actually go on the bridge. It comes up to the bridge and disappears.

Edited by samcan
  • Upvote 1

PC Specs: Intel i5-7500, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB GPU, 1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2, 1TB spinning rust HD (via SATA), 3TB spinning rust HD (via USB), Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

FSX: SE | MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Hyperfocal said:

KOMA is my local airport, so yes, that is most unfortunate. I was hoping this update would correct the elevation issue.

Same here obviously. And I'm particularly disappointed as an alpha tester when everything was fine in one build and not subsequently.

2 hours ago, JughedJones said:

Anybody flown over Portland Oregon? 

Has there been an improvement? 

Working now and don't have a chance to look for myself.  

Thanks!

I have not, but I would be surprised if it was upgraded.  This is because the 'image' and 'terrain' items are not shown as areas upgraded.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

SoCal desert looks better

unknown.png?width=2205&height=1240

• Like 8

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

The AI doesn't do natural formations. It's only for buildings.

Maybe it’s extraterrestrial?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

4 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

SoCal desert looks better

Cool I'm going to fly from Palm Springs to Twentynine Palms next!

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

What difference does it make? It's the same way they did Japan. I swear some of you guys just complain about anything. Who knows why Asobo did it that way. Has to be a reason, geez

I swear, some of you guys just complain about others posts for any reason. Geez.  😉

If it will help you relax, note that until I read some of the posts in this thread, I did not realize you had to do a separate Market Place download to complete the World Update, and so I asked why it worked that way, and unlike your response, ChaoticBeauty provided a good reason. And I had to go 'back' and do the same thing for the Japan World Update since I never realized it had to be done. As you can see from other posts in this thread, others also didn't realize they had to do this, or had forgotten to do it. So I'd argue the process is a bit un-intuitive until you understand it.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ark said:

I did this, but don't understand why it should be necessary. Seems to me the whole point of the large download/update from the MS Store today was the USA World Update. So after downloading from the MS store, why should an additional update from the Market Place be needed -- why isn't that 'built in' to the first update? Seems like a strange way to do things.

The microsoft store controls the 900MB launcher file or the "client".  So you need that up to date.  Once the 900MB stub is updated, then the rest of the files get patched.  through the updater within the product.

Since the World Updates are technically free market place purchases, they are "bought" and downloaded like any other marketplace item.  

It is confusing, but it kind of makes sense 

3 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

The microsoft store controls the 900MB launcher file or the "client".  So you need that up to date.  Once the 900MB stub is updated, then the rest of the files get patched.  through the updater within the product.

Since the World Updates are technically free market place purchases, they are "bought" and downloaded like any other marketplace item.  

It is confusing, but it kind of makes sense 

OK, thanks for the explanation. It took a couple of World Updates, but I think I finally understand now!  🙂

Al

Asobo must have worked on the logbook. I was able to have properly* logged two flights in a row! I don't recall when this happened the last time. This alone was worth the update for me.

*Not quite properly. They both where noted with 0 departures despite I started C&D from a ramp. But anyway - imagine two flights in a row logged!😄

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 4

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11