Sign in to follow this  
captain420

This is why I can't go back to P3D

45 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

Pretty sure I've never seen anyone in here say they are willing to "forego" high-fidelity simulation, and more that people are willing to be patient and wait for that end of things to be ironed out more, because of the things it DOES do well NOW - such as the visual immersion, which is a not-insignificant part of the experience of flying. Particularly if you're not in an airliner.

Saying it's "as far away from simulation as it could be" is just hyperbole, and not really worth responding to.

We are three months into what Asobo is planning to be a years long journey, and some people like the glimpse of the future enough to go along for the ride instead of going back to what they used to use.

The OP said he/she cant go back and posted screenshots. So yes they are willing to forgo the depth etc until such time as ASOBO get it right. Weather is good cant disagree, except when you fly in to a cloud you dont immediately turn into an ice cube. However before you get to the weather you need to be able to get there. 

Saying it's "as far away from simulation as it could be" is just hyperbole, and not really worth responding to.

Because I am right, at the moment it is not a good simulator of flight, tell me what it simulates correctly or better than the others? Binning a simulator based on graphics is also hyperbole! 

The wait will be a long for it to get anywhere, in 10 years as they have stated.. I am not waiting that long that for fidelity that other sims offer right now and they will also get better. If you want graphics then fine, but if you want to simulate flying then sorry MSFS is not there yet! even in VFR except for looking out the window.

Edited by a321
  • Like 1

There's so much wrong with MSFS 2020 that it's a joke that I'm still supporting it daily. Why? What is does well, it does it better than every other sim I have. Having said that ASOBO is getting on my nerves with every release update that breaks something very important to this sim. This time the terrain/mesh update has completely ruined the visuals of my Caribbean islands. This one is unforgivable & unacceptable, Their ineptitude is really starting to get to me. With any other company I could simply send them a letter or call them to let them know how I feel, but they hide from people like me. I'm going to start posting on FB because nothing is being done.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

6 hours ago, DJJose said:

There's so much wrong with MSFS 2020 that it's a joke that I'm still supporting it daily.

The glass-half-full view of this is that there is an awful lot right with MSFS and IMHO it is absolutely worth supporting..

This may sound trite, but try to focus on what it does well and enjoy that to the fullest!  My prediction is that there will be more and more to enjoy over time 😉

I am also disappointed that the coast lines got screwed up in the latest update.. it stares me in the face when I go flying in my part of the world..  But I have other favorite flights that are way better in MSFS than they were in P3D... Like Van Nuys R16R via KLAX to KONT and beyond.. Even with all the (payware) Orbx scenery additions, it did not look as good, and did not perform as well...

I find the C172 and Rob Young's Bonanza very flyable, and the Savage Cub a ton of fun for challenging bush trips!  The other airplanes, I do not even start up..

The G1000 mods are great and the Fall textures add a lot to the overall feel.

The autopilot is actually better now than it was, and is likely going to get even better when tuned correctly..

See... no joke 🙂

And did I mention that the multiplayer function is very smooth and a lot of fun!

Maybe we can can go flying sometime 😉

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Bert

20 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

"But its only the visuals, everything else is better in P3D bla bla bla bla bla blaaaaaaaaaa...."

Yes I like the P3D pics quite better than FS2020. FS2020 is looking way too blueish.

Unmodded P3D looks of course worse than FS2020, but these P3D pictures are very beautiful. Thanks for posting them.

Not to forget you get a simulation with P3D.

Edit: This would be a better comparison for the topic:

P3D lacks of good lighting and cities look flat. But still it has evolved quite good from FSX.

Edited by BigDee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The glass-half-full view of this is that there is an awful lot right with MSFS and IMHO it is absolutely worth supporting..

Absolutely. Do I want MSFS to improve? Yeah. A lot. But I also recognize that MSFS singlehandedly made it almost impossible to get a joystick for a few months, and spiked the price on those joysticks to ridiculous levels. That shows that MSFS is bringing in a fresh infusion of people interested in taking up flight simulation, which in turn will encourage more development of flight simulation hardware and addons. P3d never did that, in 5 versions. 

I love the fact that you can now get a twin throttle that's of better quality than the Saitek quadrant for $100. Not very long ago you either had to get garbage build quality for a dual throttle (lookin' at you, Saitek), or pay through the nose for one that might actually last. 

And when you think about it, FSX had a lot of limitations and was nowhere near the sim that P3d is today. MSFS blows FSX out of the water in almost every way. That means that, worst case scenario, in 10 years the current state of MSFS will be the baseline for a large library of high quality addons just like P3d is today. And also to our advantage, we won't have to technically violate a license agreement to run whatever MSFS looks like in 10 years, which a lot of people here did with P3d whether they admit it or not.

As such, even if we prefer P3d right now, we should absolutely be supporting MSFS and not taking every opportunity to tear it down in forums (and thereby potentially drive customers away). Unless we want to end up in another state of flight sim doldrums, then we need to support this effort to breathe life into the genre.

That doesn't mean we don't acknowledge the problems with it, but it does mean that the constant barrage of "p3d is better / MSFS sucks / Asobo is full of charlatans" posts that have been going up here need to stop, for our own good.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DJJose said:

There's so much wrong with MSFS 2020 that it's a joke that I'm still supporting it daily. Why? What is does well, it does it better than every other sim I have. Having said that ASOBO is getting on my nerves with every release update that breaks something very important to this sim. This time the terrain/mesh update has completely ruined the visuals of my Caribbean islands. This one is unforgivable & unacceptable, Their ineptitude is really starting to get to me. With any other company I could simply send them a letter or call them to let them know how I feel, but they hide from people like me. I'm going to start posting on FB because nothing is being done.

Maybe take a break as you seem to chime in with negativity on almost every thread. P3D or XP 11 might help you pass the time. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

4 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Maybe take a break as you seem to chime in with negativity on almost every thread. P3D or XP 11 might help you pass the time. 

It's not negativity. It's pointing out what's wrong and not digging my head in the sand. I will still enjoy MSFS and continue to buy airports and download mods. This is what is fun! ASOBO just needs to fix the AP, terrain, and "live weather" feature, and I'll be happy customer.

I'm not even asking them to fix their pathetic ATC.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

This may sound trite, but try to focus on what it does well and enjoy that to the fullest!  My prediction is that there will be more and more to enjoy over time 😉

Exactly!  When MSFS "fires on all cylinders", NOTHING compares to it IMO.  When I get an itch to go back to my beloved FSX:SE hanger, as soon as I get off the ground in a far superior AC, everything else about it makes me want to quit the flight right away.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

21 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm in the flightsim doldrums these days.

I am totally with you Ryan. I love MSFS so much. I am flying real VFR using landmarks, highways, malls... SO amazing. Then I click in the wrong spot on the Mooney and BOOM. CTD. 

It's cool. I'll set up a nice IFR flight with Pilot2ATC (who needs the crappy default ATC!) I am headed to an airport with a 300 foot ceiling and 1/2 mile visibility. This should be great! I get on 5 mile final and the airport is clear. With winds from the wrong direction. Ugh. 

I've had it. I'm going back to X-Plane! So I blow the dust off, load it up, and eww. The graphics look so cartoony. Those grey "smoke" clouds. The drunken AI. No thanks. 

So, I turn off the computer and go play Far Cry 5 on the PS4. 

I am so hopeful for MSFS. For now I will poke around in the 152 (feels so real to me) looking at scenery, on the Clear Skies setting, enjoying life. That's what it does really well right now. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eddie
KABQ

29 minutes ago, haskell said:

So, I turn off the computer and go play Far Cry 5 on the PS4

I couldn't agree more with your observations.  I have reinstalled P3D and X-Plane 11 both TWICE, only to uninstall them quickly after.  The graphics look so dated now.  Once Cyperpunk comes out, I'll be going off the flightsim radar for many, many weeks.  Hopefully Asobo will get it sorted out by then. 🙂

• Like 1

I don't believe that you'll find too many who would disagree that MSFS's graphics/scenery is better than P3D's.

I've little doubt that MSFS is the sim of the future.  It just needs time to mature IMO.

We're really lucky that Asobo came along and worked with MS to develop a next generation flight simulator.  Up until the surprising announcement about the new sim, I was certain that P3D was as good as it would ever get.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

It's not negativity. It's pointing out what's wrong and not digging my head in the sand. I will still enjoy MSFS and continue to buy airports and download mods. This is what is fun! ASOBO just needs to fix the AP, terrain, and "live weather" feature, and I'll be happy customer.

I'm not even asking them to fix their pathetic ATC.

Idk, you just seem really negative all the time. Not criticizing you. I just think this sim is causing you enough grief that it might make sense to give something else a go for a while. I've been there! 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

12 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Idk, you just seem really negative all the time. Not criticizing you. I just think this sim is causing you enough grief that it might make sense to give something else a go for a while. I've been there! 

The trouble is Rob, and I can't speak for Jose, but there is nowhere else to go for me.  I only want MSFS, but I get really down when things keep getting broken at every update.

So yes, I have moaned and 'whinged', and I have seen it upsets some people, as they seem to think it may affect the developers or put them off, but after a number poor updates, I am starting to get frustrated. 

If they could just tidy it up a bit, maybe even put us back to where we were before the last update, I could get back to enjoying it again.  Still, I hold out hope for the update on the 23rd.  Seems a long way away at the moment! 

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

35 minutes ago, RobJC said:

I'm going to sound like a famous president.

"I'm the least negative person on earth." 😀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

The trouble is Rob, and I can't speak for Jose, but there is nowhere else to go for me.  I only want MSFS, but I get really down when things keep getting broken at every update.

So yes, I have moaned and 'whinged', and I have seen it upsets some people, as they seem to think it may affect the developers or put them off, but after a number poor updates, I am starting to get frustrated. 

If they could just tidy it up a bit, maybe even put us back to where we were before the last update, I could get back to enjoying it again.  Still, I hold out hope for the update on the 23rd.  Seems a long way away at the moment! 

I find it laughable that some people don't take the time to the member's profile. I'm all about having fun!

• Like 1