Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

If you don't mind CTDs, this is a nice sim

I have flown about 10 flights so far since installing MS 2020, and have completed about 60% of them. The rest have been lock ups and CTDs and this is with a brand new PC. Just now on a 120 mile flight, half way, I changed the aitmeter setting in the C 172, and a CTD was the result. It looks good, but is totally unreliable. Very disappointed and I am feeling like I wasted $120. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Very disappointed and I am feeling like I wasted $120. 

Give it a bit of time, Bob.  It will grow on you 🙂

The avionics are not very solid as you have found out, and changing settings is a risky business (right now)..

Do not push too many buttons and enjoy the sim as a VFR simulator, that is what I do.

I still have P3D installed as a "cockpit simulator" where every button and knob works correctly.

• Like 1

Bert

Sorry for your loss but you got something configured wrong. I've done just under 200 Hours and have locked up 3 times since August 21st last year.

That's flying everything from the Airbus A320NX down.

Review settings. Start here;

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-1-08-2021/132407

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Sorry for your loss but you got something configured wrong. I've done just under 200 Hours and have locked up 3 times since August 21st last year.

That's flying everything from the Airbus A320NX down.

Review settings. Start here;

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-1-08-2021/132407

Vanilla MSFS install, almost nothing else on PC except Email and a browser. I just installed Avliasoft EFB, but crashes were happening before that. Seems like any flight over about 60 miles is a gamble. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Give it a bit of time, Bob.  It will grow on you 🙂

The avionics are not very solid as you have found out, and changing settings is a risky business (right now)..

Do not push too many buttons and enjoy the sim as a VFR simulator, that is what I do.

I still have P3D installed as a "cockpit simulator" where every button and knob works correctly.

You may be right. I think I will practice " no Touchies" for awhile and see what happens. 

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You may be right. I think I will practice " no Touchies" for awhile and see what happens. 

We all wish for this to settle down, and I am sure that it will..

In the meantime, there are some very nice avionics enhancements for the CJ4 and the G1000 / G3000 / GNS530 from various Community developers.. trick with them is that they may not work correctly after the next scheduled MSFS update which you are going to encounter in a week's time..

Welcome to the show!!

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I've been feeling the exact opposite lately- the lack of CTDs is almost unbelievable. I can fly the FBW A320 for 5-6 hours and never worry about the sim crashing. Hope those with issues can figure it out!

• Like 4

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

We all wish for this to settle down, and I am sure that it will..

In the meantime, there are some very nice avionics enhancements for the CJ4 and the G1000 / G3000 / GNS530 from various Community developers.. trick with them is that they may not work correctly after the next scheduled MSFS update which you are going to encounter in a week's time..

Welcome to the show!!

I think for the time being, I am going to limit my flights to 50 miles and VFR. If problem reoccurs, then I have to decide  PD3 or X Plane. 

I've only ever had one CTD, and that was only when closing the sim after a flight. Done several flights now of well over 2 hours. Maybe I'm just lucky.

You watch I'll get one now..

• Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think for the time being, I am going to limit my flights to 50 miles and VFR. If problem reoccurs, then I have to decide  PD3 or X Plane. 

I fly for hours with my Avsim buddies with a loaded flightplan and many landings.. no CTD..

However, there are buttons in the panel that will crash or freeze the sim.. you learn to avoid them..

BTW.. have you tried multiplayer?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I was just going to say I've made tons of flights without too many CTDs.  Just as I clicked in this windows, MSFS crashed.

*Sigh*

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

There is a multitude of PC configurations. That's the good and bad thing about PCs. 🙂

Luckily, I'm with the guys who don't experience a lot of CTDs since beginning. Maybe had 3 or 4 in total in 100hours. One of them being the nav map CTD bug. Not bad for a brand new sim.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Just tried a 60 mile flight. Made it for 40 miles and CTD..Wasn't touching anything  I think I have had it. 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

and this is with a brand new PC

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER