Sign in to follow this  
Ixoye

Tree distance fix is no longer compatible.

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

After a few flights with the sim in this condition I find it unusable.  I could just imagine what this looks like now with a VR headset.  What’s interesting is most seem to not be bothered by this.  You would think the community as a whole would be up in arms about this as it really affects how the sim looks especially at 3-7,000ft.  With this being a low and slow VFR simulator  as of now as the airliner environment isn’t fully realized it’s totally ruined in the slow and low VFR regard.  

This is why I had a problem with the cloud solution for FS and monthly hacking by programmers who clearly aren’t aviation enthusiasts.  Anybody with half a brain casually interested in flying or heck been on a small plane looking out the window would know not to do this with the sim.  Add insult to injury Asobo might let this ride until the next update and even then who knows just like many other items broke and never fixed.  What gets me is breaking stuff that wasn’t on the list to be modified.  We’re finding stuff broke so far away from the goal of the patch.  I could accept this hacking in the beginning but ongoing destruction of working features in the sim with a slow boat to fix attitude is getting old.  The community never knows what their going to loose with each new update.

As one suggested jokingly I’ll try island hopping in the Bahamas today.  If approaching islands looks like word not allowed much the same as inland flying I’m tabling this until this issue is resolved.  This type of development style can’t continue.  Give people the option to update, have a staggered release in the community to catch things.  I hope competition (X-Plane, P3D, etc) can get competitive again with some agreements with Google Earth for global scenery.  As of now they are so far behind sadly even in FS’s current state their behind.  This just pushes people out the hobby because the platform your using doesn’t improve just a new set of problematic circumstances you have to deal with every month, twice a month.  

So for me this thing is hosed.  I wish we had more pushback in the community about this and this whole model of development.  This platform can’t grow being knocked two steps back in various unforeseen ways every month.

" After a few flights with the sim in this condition I find it unusable "

Fully agree with your comment I have never seen worse than that in this "area". Flying with a radius of trees of 3 km around the plane. 

I'm trying to be as honest as possible, but how can they distribute the update and not realize this visual aberration? I lose confidence in their seriousness.

• Like 3

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

11 minutes ago, filou said:

" After a few flights with the sim in this condition I find it unusable "

Fully agree with your comment I have never seen worse than that in this "area". Flying with a radius of trees of 3 km around the plane. 

I'm trying to be as honest as possible, but how can they distribute the update and not realize this visual aberration? I lose confidence in their seriousness.

I lose confidence in their seriousness "

You're not alone

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

1 hour ago, crimplene said:

Actually yes, you are overly dramatic. 🙂 The performance got better with every update (much better, I think) until they managed to screw it with Sim Update 3 and those terrible frame drops. But you seem to think (at least your words imply that) that it got worse with every update since August. They added lots of stuff in the last few months, they didn't "take it away bit by bit". They obviously took away the possibility to tweak the tree LOD - which is sad, I don't like that either. Lets hope (and apply forum pressure) that they change it back.

When you ask "why break a decent product?" you imply that they should not alter the status quo if you deem it good enough. That's not how it works, luckily. So far they always (!) corrected errors and fixed newly introduced bugs. Sometimes that needed more time than we liked and sometimes we wondered how those bugs could happen, but still.

The amount of hyperbole not only in this thread is sometimes very annoying. They introduce a bug and there always are people who not only report the bug (and complain a bit) but cry that "all is ruined", "the game is broken", "I don't want to live anymore" like professional drama queens. This is not the kind of behaviour that motivates a company to take people seriously. This is not constructive critisism.

Sorry if that comes across as not very empathic. 🙂

First off you are correct that since August there's allot of things that were improved upon.  Just the same things that were working shouldn't have gotten broken, that's not how it usually goes.  I look at Windows for instance.  Since FS95 Microsoft didn't go back and break the 'Recycle Bin' while fixing CTD issues, they didn't break the Remote Desktop feature while improving 'System Restore'.  What we have here is pound for pound one thing is fixed while something that wasn't broken get's ruin.  Let's go back down memory lane:

1. Night Lighting - this got totally screwed up in Asobo's effort to fix the issues a few were complaining about

2. Tree size/Building Height - This got screwed up in Asobo's effort to appease a few users. It took modders to resolve this before Asobo address it

3. Aircraft Dolphin Dance - this rendered certain aircraft unusable for over a month until 3rd party mods came out.  The default Longitude is still screwed up

3. Wing rock - Again certain aircraft started wing rocking at higher altitudes leaving a problem until modders like WT addressed in with certain aircraft

4. Garmin Tracking - Many haven't reported on this but after the last couple of patches with a route plotted through the default flight planner, once in route when you enter your STAR for arrival the tracking line goes straight to the airport and no longer shows the STAR.  The autopilot still follows the STAR but you can't see it in the Garmin.  Mods have not been able to resolve this since it started

These are to name a few.  This is what people are talking about and getting sick of.   Now the sim has a visible detail ring around the aircraft that wasn't there before and obvious to see. At this point people are tired of looking the other way and the sentiment is growing.  I for one went to slow and low when the Longitude was screwed up.  I went to the Longitude when the TBM was screwed.  Modders came in and fixed what Asobo never addressed.  Now Asobo is taking away the modders ability to fix what they mess up.  That by very definition is 'ruin' to me.  It's bad enough you mess something up but killing the ability to correct it until you decide to fix it two months from now is unreasonable. 

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 5

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'm passionate like many of you but it's starting to be too much for me. It will be very difficult for them to keep up with this "low-end" pace the rest of the year.

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

I have always looked at MSFS from a positive stand point. But the performance problems and the Tree LOD from the last update is so bad. I just hope we get a HF. Way to many people with the same problems.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/suffering-with-poor-fps-after-todays-update-please-submit-a-ticket/376100

I was looking forward to the CRJ but are we all going to buy that as MSFS stands at the moment? I am not.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I have always looked at MSFS from a positive stand point. But the performance problems and the Tree LOD from the last update is so bad. I just hope we get a HF.

I feel the same way as you. And that makes me sad. (Not feeling the same as you, I am sure you're wonderful. No, the degradation in the sim 😁)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Langeveldt said:

Totally agreed..  I sunk loads of money into a graphics card and shipped a PC halfway across the world so I could enjoy what was a fantastic product during lockdown.

I feel they are slowly taking it away bit by bit..  Perhaps I'm being overly dramatic, but why break a decent product?  (Not acknowledging why or that they even have these LOD restrictions in place is the same to me as wilfully breaking it)

Me too bud. 

I've had serious health issues the last few years, and with Covid in 2020 - what kept me upbeat and positive during the lockdown was the prospect of Flight Simulator 2020. I spent an unreasonable amount of money on hardware because of MSFS, knowing it would be absolutely fantastic and a great way of traveling and experience the world even during these troubling times. And the first few months after release were great. The sim looked awesome, I went flying several times a day experiencing the world.

Then Asobo started breaking the sim. The LOD was narrowed down. Game breaking bugs were introduced. Then fixed by modders. Then broken again. And fixed again. And now we have FPS drops every few minutes so bad it's impossible to fly. And a LOD radius so small you can see a ring around your airplane, no matter what settings or how good your hardware is. And the worst thing is that Asobo doesn't even seem interested in fixing it. 

At this point Flight Simulator just makes me annoyed and upset. It's not usable any longer. That longing to go fly is still there, but it's not possible to do. And now the lockdowns are back, at least where I live. 

I just want to fly!

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 3

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

5 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Me too bud. 

I've had serious health issues the last few years, and with Covid in 2020 - what kept me upbeat and positive during the lockdown was the prospect of Flight Simulator 2020. I spent an unreasonable amount of money on hardware because of MSFS, knowing it would be absolutely fantastic and a great way of traveling and experience the world even during these troubling times. And the first few months after release were great. The sim looked awesome, I went flying several times a day experiencing the world.

Then Asobo started breaking the sim. The LOD was narrowed down. Game breaking bugs were introduced. Then fixed by modders. Then broken again. And fixed again. And now we have FPS drops every few minutes so bad it's impossible to fly. And a LOD radius so small you can see a ring around your airplane, no matter what settings or how good your hardware is. And the worst thing is that Asobo doesn't even seem interested in fixing it. 

At this point Flight Simulator just makes me annoyed and upset. It's not usable any longer. That longing to go fly is still there, but it's not possible to do. And now the lockdowns are back, at least where I live. 

The best message we can send to Asobo is stop using it until they fix it (not only fix it but have a proper patch rollout that doesn't affect everyone until it is right).  This is getting unreasonable.🙁

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I have been itching to press the buy button on the JF Arrow, the Goshawk, and the Spitfire, and was really looking forward to having a great weekend simming with these. 
But the LOD issues and the constant pausing in the sim have made me reconsider - I just don't want to while the sim is in this state. 
I am going to leave it now.  A shame.  It's not the aircraft developers fault (or mine), but I won't be pumping any more money into the sim while it is like this.

There is nothing more I can do.  I have tried so many variables and wasted hours and hours going in and out of the sim and the config file, and we get the usual worthless advice - clear you community folder, reinstall graphics drivers, clear your caches (never used them), reduce your settings, and even the dreaded reinstall the whole sim - for heavens sake - No! It is so obvious what has happened.  IT IS THE SIM THAT NEEDS FIXING.

The worst part for me is the (very few) people who come on and insult people who are already having a hard time of it.  Calling them whingers and drama queens.  Why are they even here?  Any criticism or complaint is met with vitriol as if they made the sim themselves, and it is their company.  What are they so insecure about that they can't stand people complaining about the bugs?  I can only think they are the paranoid ones.  Some people are having a rough time with the sim, and they dive in and insult them and try to close them down  They are just bully's.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 5

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

16 minutes ago, Dillon said:

The best message we can send to Asobo is stop using it until they fix it (not only fix it but have a proper patch rollout that doesn't affect everyone until it is right).  This is getting unreasonable.🙁

Much as I would like to think an individual protest by me refusing to use the sim (or for that matter the entire readership of Avsim abandoning the sim) in the big picture with a user base in the hundreds of thousands it would make no difference.

Possibly a protest by well known YouTube streamers and reviewers might get there attention, or then again maybe not.  It is Microsoft after all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dillon said:

After a few flights with the sim in this condition I find it unusable. 

Yeah, I came to this conclusion last night. Going back to another civil sim puts me in the same place bcuz I still won't get the visual VFR experience I am used to with MSFS pre SU3.

May just wait this issue out over the next month or so doing some combat flying in DCS or switch to Train Sim World 2.

32 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I have always looked at MSFS from a positive stand point. But the performance problems and the Tree LOD from the last update is so bad. I just hope we get a HF. Way to many people with the same problems.

Me too, big fan of MSFS. I hope they are researching (on it) and the silence is just due to the fact they have't come up with an answer to give. But they really dropped the ball with taking away somwthing that made the sim great.

18 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I agree...hopefully they are getting the msg. They seem genuinely concerned about feedback and resolving issue with their consumer driven decision model.

But this LOD issue has been on table from the start...

I am not a proponent of big time conspiracy theories, but I am at a loss to explain why a decision was made at a high level to tank the tree lod workaround that has allowed everyone who wanted it to enjoy it's immersive benefits and what it brings to the table. It costs Asobo nothing for this mod to be used. As you have seen, they have been silent on this issue ( or at least I haven't seen a response on it), as if to say we have no idea how this got into the code and disabled your ability to use this enhancement to tree lod distance. 

My point: is it possible some rogue programmer sitting at his/her workstation decided to drop a few lines of code into a module they were working on to screw this up just for the fun of it? I know, this conjecture is way out there but the way some of these issues keep popping up in the new updates every time one comes out has to make you think about it. Somehow with quality control being shall we say, a little lax, some head scratching bug finds it's way into each and every update that comes out. Makes you wonder, and makes it all that more imperative that the team implement a beta release version for testing before releasing new updates to a select few beta testers group.

I don't really want to think that such a scenario is actually happening here, but it does make one wonder about it...

Ken

I am doing some workaround to see how I can get the best of current tree LOD situation until it gets fixed.

Of course this may not be or work for everyone. You can try this with the free tree lod most of you have to see if it works for you.

So far here is my results:

• LOD set to 600 (you can lower this if your fps goes below 30.) I tried 700 but it a bit too much.
  • Tree and clouds are set to ultra.
  • All traffic off
  • Using converted FSX airplane to gain additional 10 to 15 FPS.

Result:

Pros: Flying over Los Angeles with over 30 FPS, smooth, no pop up, no stutter, sharp terrains, trees can be seen as far as 30 miles ( I did the calculation).

Cons:  No cockpit panel, no traffic.
I can live without these until it gets fixed.

Screenshots:

G7kl5Ql.png

cMvHzxt.png

GmnBoiN.png

Edited by BijanStudio

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

With what is going to happen in MSFS this year, you will quickly change your mind. I say that, I say nothing. 

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

1 minute ago, BijanStudio said:

LOD set to 600

Seeing as to how you have to reduce this setting to under 100 (mine had to be at 80) to resolve the horrendous stuttering issues in the latest SimUpdate....I am going to guess this will not work for most!!

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11