Sign in to follow this  
Ixoye

Tree distance fix is no longer compatible.

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

ASOBO did it again.

Even worse, they did break a nicely working mod. Without need and urge. What I really do not get here: according to some statements from Asobo they seem to have no clue at all why the tree LOD distance is so bad (otherwise they would have fixed it). But instead of doing at least "nothing" to fuzz around this issue, they still modify stuff to break the mods. Unbelievable...

• Like 6

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hey all,

As a modder, I get the frustration of stuff breaking. But these are totally unpublished and unsupported methods we're all using. As a software developer, it would be insane of me to be expected not to change my APIs because someone found an undocumented hack (even if it is a helpful one). If I publish and document the methods by which the simulator officially supports various hooks and APIs, then those should be revisioned in a sane way. But undocumented workarounds can't be expected to be supported for the rest of time by freezing the code. That's just not how software development works.

Again, I truly do understand the frustration. But I certainly don't blame Asobo when our Garmin or CJ4 stuff breaks, because we're using internals they themselves haven't yet said are ready for primetime and are officially supported.

-Matt

• Like 7
  • Upvote 8

Can it realistically be expected that Asobo, given the dozens if not hundreds of mods out there, spend time testing their updates so that they don't upset mods made to their program? The way I see it, Asobo update their own work, modders should live with it. Which I expect they mostly do. It's the users of the mods that make all the noise.

EDIT: While I was getting my thoughts together on this, look who snuck in before me! One of a top modders no less.

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

The more I think about it and have to look at the bare patches in the sim again, the angrier I get. I can see myself getting kicked off the MSFS official forums this week, and not being too bothered about it.

We can now only ask questions from a list of subjects they agree to, or the likelihood is they will just be ignored, and if you ask valid questions they don't like the look of, you get shut down.

While I will be watching the next twitch, I will take it with a pinch of salt, as  I have lost confidence listening to the smarmy, smiley, weasel words.  It is beginning to wear very thin. They must know what they have done to the tree mods with this undocumented change,  otherwise they really have got their heads in the sand.

As a start, there will be no more MSFS store for me, which probably means no more Carenado, but no great loss.

The JF Arrow, Flying Iron Spitfire, and IA Goshawk will now be bought direct.  They will get updated quicker that way anyway, as the marketplace is still a joke after months of them talking about it.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

Again, I truly do understand the frustration. But I certainly don't blame Asobo when our Garmin or CJ4 stuff breaks, because we're using internals they themselves haven't yet said are ready for primetime and are officially supported.

I agree, if we talk about things Asobo is truly working on and improving with the update, such as the Garmin or the basics the CJ4 uses. No issues with those, but as they did NOTHING about the LOD distance of trees yet breaking the mod, I have no understanding. They could have just let it untouched if they are obviously unable to resolve the issue themselves...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

They changed something that was incompatible with the tree mods. What's the big deal. They changed something that was incompatible with the GPS mods and I'm sure they did the same with many other mods. It's up to the modders to verify if the update breaks their mods and then patch them. This is especially true of fix-it mods (mods that fix a problem in the sim).

• Like 2

James

2 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

What's the big deal.

The fact that they, Asobo, said they can’t see that the LOD has degraded, hence the need for mods in the first place? And the fact they’re fiddling with it behind the scenes. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The fact that they, Asobo, said they can’t see that the LOD has degraded, hence the need for mods in the first place? And the fact they’re fiddling with it behind the scenes. 

But what are they fiddling with? Are you implying that they are doing it solely to mess up the tree fix?

My guess is they are fixing something else that has a unintended byproduct of messing up the tree fixes.

• Like 1

James

12 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

But what are they fiddling with? Are you implying that they are doing it solely to mess up the tree fix?

That’s the million dollar question isn’t it? 
And the answer to your other question is no. 

PS it’s not just about the trees, it’s the whole LOD. It’s awful. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

My guess is they are fixing something else that has a unintended byproduct of messing up the tree fixes.

There's more to it than that.

When MSFS released, the tree distance was much greater.

Then Asobo nerfed it, without letting anyone know.

Then the community fixed it with their mods.

Then Asobo nerfed it again. Without letting anyone know.

Now community is fixing it again.

In my opinion the tree draw distance was decreased to make the sim run better on lower end systems as well as a preperation for XBox.

• Like 4

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

The LOD issue has been there from the jump. THEY CLAIMED nothing was wrong with it like we have no word not allowed eyes. Finally someone fixed it and they broke it. Whether inadvertently or not it doesn't matter. The sim at a distance looks trash (even though some of us clearly have the headroom to run the sim at a higher draw distance) and the LOD issue is now back at the forefront. They could have spent the time fixing it instead of giving us freaking aircraft repaints.

******* when is the next Forza coming out? I need to go back to something that isn't so aggravating. 

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

I hope they go under.

What a horribly unpleasant thing to hope for. Try applying some perspective.

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

I agree, if we talk about things Asobo is truly working on and improving with the update, such as the Garmin or the basics the CJ4 uses. No issues with those, but as they did NOTHING about the LOD distance of trees yet breaking the mod, I have no understanding. They could have just let it untouched if they are obviously unable to resolve the issue themselves...

They did not break the mod, they changed undocumented code. You are not realistic.

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

Hi Ed,

Which folder are you using?

I'm currently checking out Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(100-150)

Update: I just tested this mod and with the blog mod I could see trees way out there. This one doesn't work for me.

ASOBO did it again. They manage to ruin a nice looking sim. Are they ever going to learn. I'm getting sick and tired of their excuses. I hope they go under.

This didn't work for me either, it's actually destroying tree texture in places like the southern US.  Taxi around any Atlanta area airport like KFFC and you see the textures around the top of the trees cut off and fragmented.  I had to remove it:

https://flightsim.to/file/5318/vegetation-draw-distance-fix

Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(40-55)

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2