Sign in to follow this  
Ixoye

Tree distance fix is no longer compatible.

Hello Dillon and DJJose,  the 50-75 and 100-150 packages will not give good results so they are not supposed to be used in the sim.

I would suggest running tests with the 35-50, 40-55 and 40-60 packages and choose the one that works the best for you.

35-50 will have no pop-ups, but the vegetation will be thinner in the distance where the trees start being rendered.

40-55 has denser trees in the distance, but some vegetation pop-ups might be visible

40-60 has even better tree density in the distance, but there are pop ups.

The draw distance is significantly lower in 1.14.5.0 than it was before, and as of now there is no workaround about this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, crimplene said:

They did not break the mod, they changed undocumented code. You are not realistic.

It doesn't matter about the semantics, the end result was the same.  We had something good, and now it is trashed. Undocumented change, and no explanation. We arent important though obviouisly.  We have already paid so it's a case of 'Ha!   What they gonna do!' Nice!

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

This mod changes the LOD but there are more Mod to change the size of the trees? that of Fsblog in fact no longer works trees much too high

31 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

There's more to it than that.

When MSFS released, the tree distance was much greater.

Then Asobo nerfed it, without letting anyone know.

Then the community fixed it with their mods.

Then Asobo nerfed it again. Without letting anyone know.

Now community is fixing it again.

In my opinion the tree draw distance was decreased to make the sim run better on lower end systems as well as a preperation for XBox.

Exactly. It's just very weird that the sim was released with better LOD, and then somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd big patch, it was very obviously degraded. What's even weirder is that the Alpha version, way back when, looked so much better! I've never before seen a "game" that was better in the first Alpha test than in the final release after multiple post-release patches.

At this point I think we have to assume they're futzing around with LOD to improve performance in some way, although I'm not seeing any FPS impact from the changes. I was getting great frame rates in the Alpha test with much better scenery and less pop-in. Maybe it's better on Xbox, maybe it's for VR, and in some way the performance isn't improved on a standard 2D monitor? Who knows? Only Asobo knows. 

• Like 4

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I laughed at people spouting conspiracy theories about having to nerf the sim to get it to run on the Xbox eventually. I'm not laughing now. :mellow:

Judging by the content and quality of the larest update, they are just throwing PC users a fish once in a while (in this case a contrail and some old FSX liveries), because if they do have 200 employees on this (as some people say), they are not working on these PC updates for sure.

For Microsoft (and I am not a hater that uses the $ sign in their name), the Xbox has always been important to them. It is a business at the end of the day and has to make money, no matter how much they talk about having a passion or 'the community'.

I hoped they could have two different branches (PC and Xbox) with some common content shared between the two. It seems fairly obvious now that they don't want the extra overhead this will bring.  It's just a cold business decision - happens every day. 

By way of compensation and to calm us PC users worries down at the mention of the Xbox,  they say 'yes, but it will bring DX12 to you too!'.  The more I read about it, I realise DX12 will be no saviour or bring the performance gains people expect, so I hope people won't be dissappinted.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Especially because DX12 is a must for the Xbox, so even this goodie is just because of the console...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

41 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

It doesn't matter about the semantics, the end result was the same.  We had something good, and now it is trashed. Undocumented change, and no explanation. We arent important though obviouisly.  We have already paid so it's a case of 'Ha!   What they gonna do!' Nice!

This is called unreasonable entitlement and whining. I refrain from further commenting because I always try to stay friendly. 🙂

Can someone explain to me how to block people? I didn't find out myself.

Edited by crimplene
added question
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

maybe it's for VR,

It looks awful in VR, because you can see more of the distance (if that makes sense) so it’s like you’re inside this circle of detail, and then immediately outside of it is just this blur. Evident from around 1000ft to around 4000ft. Ideal GA height. 

33 minutes ago, crimplene said:

This is called unreasonable entitlement and whining. I refrain from further commenting because I always try to stay friendly. 🙂

Go ask a mod... and you can block me to boot. People are frustrated that every update something breaks or gets degraded (while at the same time some of us are literally spending thousands of dollars chasing performance and visual fidelity only for it to be further degraded!!). Its not unreasonable to expect meaningful progress after all this time on this specific issue.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

This didn't work for me either, it's actually destroying tree texture in places like the southern US.  Taxi around any Atlanta area airport like KFFC and you see the textures around the top of the trees cut off and fragmented.  I had to remove it:

https://flightsim.to/file/5318/vegetation-draw-distance-fix

Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(40-55)

IMO it works. I found my sweet spot with "90-120 - smaller trees"

• Like 4

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

Noted .. will try it out when i get home.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

44 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

so I hope people won't be disappointed.

Oh they WILL be. It's in the simmer's DNA. 😀

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

43 minutes ago, crimplene said:

:biggrin: It's OK crimplene, I posted how to block me below!..

I have never blocked anyone and never will, as I like to hear different peoples opinions, even when they differ a lot, and I am grown up enough to tolerate them, especially in a forum that was designed for it.

I notice though, that your post was a little personal ('unreasonable entitlement and whining'), while mine was aimed at an organisation while having a valid concern.

No matter - Peace! :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999

8 minutes ago, Nemo said:

The latest version doesn't include 90-120.

It has 35-50, 40-55, 40-60, 50-75 and 100-150.

Edited by Phantoms
Linked latest version
  • Like 1

James

1 minute ago, Phantoms said:

The latest version doesn't include 90-120.

It has 35-50, 40-55, 40-60, 50-75 and 100-150.

Brilliant!  I must try a few versions of this and see which one I like - It might even be able to stop my unreasonable entitlement and whining!   :biggrin:

• Like 1