Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Let's not accept the fact that FS is just a videogame now

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

The Truth : MS Flight simulator is sold under Video Games  / Simulator category on Steam. So basically it's a game that simulate stuff.

Which is what every other commercial flight simulator is. X-Plane on steam is under the same category.

3 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

I'm still seriously considering buying an Xbox Series X so I can play MSFS in the living room,

I do this by using the "stream" feature on steam.  No performance loss by using this feature.  I use a xbox controller when simming on the couch and use my saitek input controls when simming downstairs.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

This "is it a game or sim" argument is laughable. Somewhere around 50 people out of about 7billion on the planet actually care about the answer to this. I am in the 7billion.

On a more serious note. I have used the sim just once since SU3 and had to turn it off because I entered a permanent 5fps stutter show just before arrival in Sri Lanka. Can't be bothered to fly now since this bug is like a CTD and off putting. Waiting for a patch. I hope there is one coming.

Edited by sanh
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bhx22 said:

I think its the best thing we have ever had but you have too invest in decent hardware if you can simple.

I agree, but I have the best video card on the market and at the moment that doesnt get past the problem of the limited by main thread performance bug going on.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

May be that is what is happening they are optimizing it for Xbox and the problems with frames, stutters and slowdowns are a pc based issue and not Xbox thus they don't really care about it right now.

• Like 2

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

46 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I see the trend in the forum. When people upset MSFS become video game, when they excited MSFS is best sim ever. LOL

I will repeat it again for everyone P3D, XP11, MSFS, DCS, IL2 are video games marketed as simulators! Surprised? Let me explain you why! There are no recreational simulators in existence where you can buy it for $50-100, fly it then come to  you CFI and say: look I have 500 hours in such and such simulator will you sign my logbook for solo? Hello no, he will not!

But don't be discouraged as student pilot you can use any training aid that can help you!  You can sit in chair and pretend it's cockpit, run checklists and procedures. You can put your hand up and visualize maneuvers! So video games can be your training aid as well as long as you know how to use it and it helps you to learn/polish something

Just remember that sometime Asobo will fix this fps drop. You will get tons of quality add ons and this thread rant will be only remembered as a good laugh! 

Yep, I absolutely agree with that. So people now upset about the performance bug and start labeling it as game. Fun fact, MSFS is actually based on FSX which is in the game category and same goes for P3D based on FSX 😄.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

It's a real pity that Microsoft have "dumbed down" this brand into what is essentially just a flying game with pretty pictures (albeit at 5-10fps..).

R.I.P the Microsoft Flight Simulator brand. The bean counters win again.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Flight sim : we are drama.

That should be our motto. Seriously.

Edited by fogboundturtle
  • Like 7

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 minute ago, TrafficPilot said:

It's a real pity that Microsoft have "dumbed down" this brand into what is essentially just a flying game with pretty pictures

They haven't dumbed down anything. MSFS is more realistic than FSX was when it came out.

Base FSX with the Expansion is 'dumber' than this sim.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

this thread rant will be only remembered as a good laugh! 

SD your own post fits very well in this thread.  Such threads have always a contrarian post like yours 🤣. No offence intended, just a friendly  teasing.  

Do not discard that a lot of us may not be a pilot but have been in flight simulation for a long time. We know all what you said.  We know that simming will never be real flying.  

I do not see this thread as the perennial "game vs sim" (I tend to avoid then now).

It is more about the worry we have to see the franchise going the wrong way. The dumb way.  There is a gap between what MS says and the reality of the product and its evolution since August last.

A flight simulator is a special kind of game. To be up to snuff it has to be a bit demanding on the user, it has to have some standards of complexity and quality. 

The  so-called "next gen" simulator is a bit lacking right now knowing that the development priority given to a console port and the update mess (update after update) are  not reassuring.

We may be very well wrong. I hope so. But, well, to show that we care (loudly) cannot do harm, right ?  

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

16 minutes ago, sanh said:

This "is it a game or sim" argument is laughable. Somewhere around 50 people out of about 7billion on the planet actually care about the answer to this. I am in the 7billion.

And I am one of the 50. It's a simulator. I may change my mind if someone can explain how winners and losers are determined in MSFS --- a fundamental characteristic of games that is nonexistent in MSFS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

if you consider only the AAA titles there are at least 3 and the development of a completely new release usually does not take more than 3 years.

Well, tell that to all the folks who are waiting for Half Life 3. 

52 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

that's just BS. It still a simulator in every aspect.

...it is, in the way that Train Sim World, OMSI, and Eurotruck-Simulator are simulators. 

I find it comical these posts always seem to pop up after there has been a spell of good news for the sim.. lol

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

1 minute ago, Car147 said:

I find it comical these posts always seem to pop up after there has been a spell of good news for the sim.. lol

This is because they think Asobo is splitting their resources for the Xbox version. So now all simmers are angry at Asobo for the last SIm Update 3.Screw the xbox kiddies, I want my frame back.  If you give people back their frames, the complaining will stop. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

24 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

If you give people back their frames, the complaining will stop. 

No. 🙂

• Like 1