Sign in to follow this  
Guest vonVeezelsnider

FSX Patch?

There seems to be 2 updates coming in the future. One is a performance update and the other a vista/dx10 update. No details available as of this time concerning either content or availability.Ian.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was also wondering about this too, Phil wrote that it would come (or we'd hear about it) after the 1st of this month..and it's half way through Jan...I hope they have something special planned ;)

COME ON ACES - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE US ALL AN UPDATE ON PROGRESS !!!!!!!!!CHEERS,STUART

>I was also wondering about this too, Phil wrote that it would>come (or we'd hear about it) after the 1st of this month..and>it's half way through Jan...>>I hope they have something special planned ;)He actually says "..sometime after the 1st of the year, and by that I mean after January." ;-)

I really hope they can address most issues with this. I wish they would update fsinsider.com with patch details.Nels

>ah darnit he did say AFTER Jan!! crap!>>Darn it !!This can very well mean March...al

Because then they wouldn't be able to get feedback like what you just gave.As an addition, after having the beta from FilePlanet and seeing the release version firsthand, I did not nor will not purchase for the 1st time in franchise history until performance can be better on my state of the art PC.

>Look at your system specs!! What are you getting from FSX?Frustration, what else? Coming to the patch what will it address? Those gigabyte of files which clogs up everything on its way? or better support for multi core? Both of these look major rework. My guess is, they'll iron out the mem leak issue and tone it down to fs9 level.8gb of bmp files fighting for your monitor space with one CPU as the sole arbitrar just does not fly anymore!

I understand the desire for information, so let me give out a little bit.We are working thru the set of tasks we identified for SP1, are getting closer to closure and a final test pass, and should have more to say as far as details in the next couple of weeks. The only things I can say is:a)we are not toning down the experience and b)we are aiming at a targetted set of perf and content fixes. In terms of DX10, we have continued to make progress albeit slow. So DX10 will be after SP1. How far after SP1 remains to be seen, but its not a matter of weeks after since we still have serious feature work to do. Once SP1 ships and we get fully into DX10 development and a sense of velocity then I can start to talk to DX10 timeframes. One thing I will commit to doing soon after SP1 ships is walking the community thru the FSX "magic screenies" for DX10 and explaing what features Aces sees in those. Fair enough?

Thanks for the update Phil. I for one really appreciate it.I am a little apprehensive about the 'magic screenies'. ;) You graphic designers get a little carried away at times. Are we talking 'Zanzarah'here? :D Just kidding!Gary

Thanks for the update Phil,I look forward to hearing more about the details in SP1. I understand the hush hush leading up to a product launch, just never really understood why a patch requires the same level of secrecy. This isn't a patch to offer new features, but provides a better ability to enjoy the existing ones on current platforms. Regardless, sure curious to know what the teams "identified tasks" have been (we all understand you can only address so much in a time contraint), and what optimizations have helped with performance (and what that resulted in). Look forward to hearing more from you and sounds like we're still a month (or so) away for the actual release. (My words not yours ..)Down the road when you guys get knee deep in the DX10 one, sure be nice to see the frame counter up in the corner (and system specs) when you go through those "magic screenies" with us.Again, thanks for dropping us a line. Never in my years of business have I seen keeping a customer informed - turn out be a bad thing or hurt sales.Best Regards'Garett

<>Mainly because until we've implemented everything and ran it through some test passes, we won't know for sure which modifications will be in the final patch release (we may determine that a fix that helps out 30% of users winds up making life worse for the other 70% or something :-> )

Makes sense. I am on a beta team for a racing sim, and know that process well. And reading your blog, it's nice to see some improvements to multiplayer, which in my experience suffers from a lot of connectivity issues (people not seeing other people, loss of connections, etc). Any chance of a dedicated server being released? It would be nice to run out of one of my servers in a data center.Thanks,Sammie

Well now I'm smarter (well at least more knowledgable) than I was an hour ago... Thanks Tim.I'm just sure all sides will be happy to get this SP1 out (and installed), more so the sooner the better. I have no doubt there's plenty of other stuff to be working on. Thanks for the info, and I think this would be a great weekend to do some more of those test passes... ;)BTW - Off topic, but if you got any pull tell the team to make sure they add damage modeling in that new Train Sim. Not to the train, but the AI stuff that gets smoked for being on the tracks ... he he ;)Best Regards'Garett

Personally I REALLY hope one of those identified issues is the shaky multiplayer lobby / connection thing. I've tasted FSX's shared cockpit a couple of times and it's a sweet, sweet experience in the right company, but unfortunately it's hard to get it going when the lobby and connection system works against you, not for you:1) The list of servers updates itself all the time, never "getting it over with". It makes the list appear chaotic, when stuff is constantly shifting this way and that. This would be so much better with manual "Refresh list" and "Refresh selected server" buttons.2) Staying connected to the lobby is an excercise in futility. It's alright as long as you don't do anything except watch the list update itself, but when you try to connect to a server it becomes a gamble. More often than not, the attempt ends in an error message saying something like "You've lost your connection because the host has ended the session" which, of course, is absolutely not true and the server is still very much there. And as if that wasn't enough, when this happens, there is also a very high chance of further mishap - more often than not you not only get thrown back into the server list, BUT might in fact end up getting disconnected from the master server altogether. "Your connection has been lost because you've connected from another computer" or some such nonsense.3) Although less likely than in the lobby, the above disconnection issues still pop up every now and then while you're actually connected to the server. Ending a flight, which should take you to the briefing room, sometimes brings up the "Your connection has been lost..." error and you have to log back into the lobby and try and try and try to get back onto the server - just because you wanted to change planes or join someone else's plane or do anything else in the briefing room.The multiplayer experience itself is much improved over FS9, but unfortunately it's a rare treat due to a shoddy lobby and connection system :(

>I'm just sure all sides will be happy to get this SP1 out (and>installed), more so the sooner the better. >No no. Let them take their time and get it right. They can now do the things they couldn't do 6 months ago.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Thanks Phil,Good to see see that FSX is still in the picture.I'd rather wait a month extra for a SP1 that adresses all issues than getting a half finished one quicker because you guys feel pushed.I still enjoy Fs9 and also bit by bit I am trying to expand my FSX horizon.We will get there eventually.

Hey Phil:Is there any chance you guys are looking at improving the texture filtering performance, or doing something to make them filter better, as I see this as the Weakest point of FSX.Chris

Hello PhilThanks, for responding! I know for myself (probably others) that hearing news once in a while really helps. Even if there is little to report. THANKS!Matthew