Sign in to follow this  
Brad27

A rant from the heart

Agree with the original poster and others.  I find traffic for airliners using AIG really a game changer; really helps with PBR etc as they taxi and move.  What a great program.   I have been using the 717 and Maddog and really, really enjoying P3D v5.  I like it with HDR off via the .cfg and EA on.  Fsdreamteam DFW and IAH work well for me in v5.

I hope the 3rd party development continues in this platform.  Orbx works well for airliner ops and helps the sim a great deall compensate for the changes in EA. Have seen some really great looking stuff if you set it up right.

Edited by simon747
  • Like 2

Simon

54 minutes ago, kaha said:

The shift to MSFS happened because sales for P3D stopped.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Not quite sure how true or accurate that is to be fair, I think the actual slow down of sceneries across the board is based on the devs 'prematurely' moving over to MSFS leaving those that didnt jump in at the blow of the whistle in the dark, now youve got many coming back to P3D because of all the kinks and potholes currently causing MSFS's bad press.

Brad - P3Dv4.5

AIG Moderator | Afcad Editor | FAIB Beta | FSPX Beta

7 minutes ago, Brad27 said:

... I think the actual slow down of sceneries across the board is based on the devs 'prematurely' moving over to MSFS leaving those that didnt jump in at the blow of the whistle in the dark...

Brad, do you think vendors would have stopped development for P3D if sales hadn't changed?

Karl

• Like 1

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

7 hours ago, Brad27 said:

Sceneries is whats really gotten me frustrated, we have all seen the masses of airport and 'cityscene' upgrades being lobbed at this half baked simulator and for what!?

Exactly what I thought. I expected much more from MSFS but was always sceptical and when I see all these addons, which I thought weren't needed, I ask myself, what is good about this new sim? 

Thanks for your remarks about the AI traffic, wrong airlines in wrong aircraft at airports. Something really important to me and I admit I played with the thought to buy MSFS soon, since after Update 4 it must be almost finished, I thought ;-)))))).

I have to say here, I always found new products for P3D to buy after the release of MSFS. There were new developers coming into the gap others left behind. I have the impression more and more developers come back with new products to P3D. Maybe one day even Aerosoft will come back. 

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

29 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

Exactly what I thought. I expected much more from MSFS but was always sceptical and when I see all these addons, which I thought weren't needed, I ask myself, what is good about this new sim?

Thing is there is alot thats great about it and today especially i have spent alot of my Sunday watching YouTube videos of MSFS in action via user uploads and it has alot of great things to rave about but i also look at the list of areas that the devs there have listed that need fixing, addresssing or even implementing...It deserved a much longer and extensive beta run but hey that bus has long gone now.

I share your statement about buying P3D products post MSFS, im eyeing up MK Studios Palma de Mallorca and ORBX OpenLC Asia when it comes.

Brad - P3Dv4.5

And I will definitely get TreuEarth Alps.

Karl

• Like 3

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

Brad27,

You have touched on the part of MSFS2020 that irks me considerably.  I have to wholeheartedly agree with you that the scenery in MSFS2020 is absolutely incredible.  It is also incredibly inaccurate specifically in relation to Australia.  This is mainly because satellites apparently only visit overhead Australia every 30 or forty years. (yes I know that is inaccurate) but satellite imagery is not current in any part of Australia that I am aware of,

The really frustrating thing about that is that it is verrrrry pretty, but along with the automatic injection of bugs and problems with every update, patch or hotfix, it has severely curtailed my MSFS activities in the recent past.  I have to acknowledge, that up until the last World update, I have had relatively few problems but the last update broke the camels back for me.

I have gone back to XPlane 11 as a preference but I still visit P3Dv4.5 and MSFS regularly.  I think the incredible publicity hype generated by MS before release was the main cause for pause with all the other sims, I think all the Developers were scratching their heads and saying or thinking how on Earth they were going to compete with this newbie. A lot of the established platform consumers were uttering things like. Thats it for me. I am uninstalling etc etc and simply stopped buying for the other sims, which I guess, was a fair, but unrealistic concept particularly before release of MSFS.  I was one of the "lucky" ones who sailed through the release with basically no problems except working out how to map controls etc, and had no problems with the download or installation.  I was a very hearty supporter at release and had many bug free flights without visiting the other two sims. I have to admit too, that I had stopped buying for P3D and XPlane, but was seriously wondering where this whole thing was going with all the reported bugs and problems.  So, contrary to popular opinion at the time, I then bought P3Dv5 (after they had sorted out most of the problems with DX12) I found out that I quite loved this one too, and subsequently went deeper into XPlane as well.

When I started to experience performance problems in the last MSFS update, where I was averaging 10-15FPS after 50 -55FPS, which made the sim temporarily unplayable for me, I then ultimately selected XPlane 11 as my "Go To" platform.  

To this day, I  still have my MSFS2020 problems but I revisit regularly to see if it has improved ... even done a couple of uninstalls and reinstalls, spent hours mucking around with the Community folder but all to no avail.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it fails ... it is just incredible, and to me, personifies the diversity of problems suffered by so many people in different ways.   

I have NOT bought a single add-on for MSFS and neither have I bought any P3D add-ons, other than P3Dv5.  I have spent a fair amount of my pension money with XPlane11 though, and I can see that this situation will remain (for me) until MSFS is ultimately stable, or at least usable again.

Perseverance, I believe, is the key here, simply because of two things. 1. The potential of MSFS is enormous, and 2, Most of us who did not uninstall the other two platforms, have these to fall back on. 

Finally. The mental image of a previously loved platform suddenly becoming unusable because of MSFS, really does not sit comfortably with me, and the OPs comments hit home for me at least.  It was a great observation.

Regards to all

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I suspect that there are a lot of folks that share the pain that is expressed here by the OP as well as others. As much as I like flight siming I do thank my lucky stars that I am not a developer for sure.  Personally, I am a GA kind of guy and and as of late I have been getting deep into A2A and more to the point the wonderful Comanche. I get it that there are a ton of folks who love the tube liners and they tend to be the most vocal but I suspect there also is a fair amount of GA guys who make up a sort of silent majority. Having said that, I often wonder why more dev's don't cater to the GA market especially now that we know it is going to take quite some years to get all the stuff sorted out on the FS2020 side of things.

I just happen to think that the best product that ORBX ever had was the Freeware airport products and for the life of me I can not figure out why more developers don't tap that market. I would gladly pay for airport packages for say (Since I live here LOL) Florida, Alabama, Mississippi as examples. They don't even need the silly people walking around in circles. I would think that guys who can crank out the mega airports would have no problems putting together a package with correct runways, taxiways, and terminals and parking ramps. Throw in decent looking accurate buildings and static aircraft to add a little life and you have a whole new market. 

This is only one idea and not the answer to all our problems but is an area that just never get and attention.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Personally, I am a GA kind of guy

I would say MSFS is ideal for the GA pilot especially VFR flying...I mean its pretty ideal for sim to real referencing (maybe not if your in Oz)

• Like 2

Brad - P3Dv4.5

If I may add one comment here,  It is that MSFS has singlehandedly converted me from a tubeliner guy to VFR (despite OZ shortcomings)

I have just bought the Quest 2 and whilst struggling to come to grips with that, I feel that this may push me further away from the Tubes.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

18 minutes ago, Brad27 said:

I would say MSFS is ideal for the GA pilot especially VFR flying...I mean its pretty ideal for sim to real referencing (maybe not if your in Oz)

Yep I have read that but MSFS is just not ready for prime time and maybe 5 years for now it might work correctly. I don't even visit the front page of AVSIM anymore because of all the MSFS noise. LOL!

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

3 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Yep I have read that but MSFS is just not ready for prime time and maybe 5 years for now it might work correctly. I don't even visit the front page of AVSIM anymore because of all the MSFS noise. LOL!

A sad comment this is, but I think I know where you are coming from. I would dispute your comment though, because you have just commented on a topic here on the front page. LOL

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

2 hours ago, simon747 said:

Agree with the original poster and others.  I find traffic for airliners using AIG really a game changer; really helps with PBR etc as they taxi and move.  What a great program.   I have been using the 717 and Maddog and really, really enjoying P3D v5.  I like it with HDR off via the .cfg and EA on. 

Is there anything special to modifying the cfg instead of turning it off in UI?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Is there anything special to modifying the cfg instead of turning it off in UI?

Thanks.

Don't believe you can turn off HDR in the UI with EA activated.  I had to deactivate it in the cfg file.  Works great

Edited by pads103
  • Like 1

I wanted to be all in for msfs. But it let me down. 
-weird super clean and cgi look of all the planes. Can’t explain it. But the planes just look off to me. 
-ground textures at airports also looks very weird to me. 
-incorrect model matching and bizarre looking ai traffic

-some clouds look very low resolution. Especially the storm clouds that look like a volcano. 

-nav and weather firms they partnered with. The wrong ones. 
-upgrades that cause major problems and the fact they can’t be delayed. 
-still not a mature catalog of higher quality payware planes I’ve become accustomed to. 
-still no gsx 

I still see the things it’s good at it however 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next