Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Why Did MS2020 Disappear?

I made an account.

I bought and downloaded the base program files and and installed properly (at least I thought) MS2020.  I created a new folder as was recommended in one tutorial.  Named it "MS2020" (simple). It took several hours to download, I'm sure folks are familiar with this.  I could see that it was installed the folders expected were there.

I can't recall now how I launched it.  Went for two flights not having a bloody clue what I was doing.

Left my PC running, the next day I did a short flight. Shut down the sim, had other things to do.

Once I shut down the sim proceeded to disappear off my HD.

Where did it go?  Why did it disappear?  Did I press something wrong to fly and launch? 

Now do I have to reinstall the sim again?  How do you get it to stay on my PC?

I'm feeling like a complete moron here.  Any help is most welcome.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

It depends if you bought and installed via MS Store or Steam.

I guess the first one. In this case open the MS store (it's one of the tiles on the start menu) and check the state. You can also start if from there.

If you're with Steam, open Steam, MyLibrary and there should be a menu entry to start the sim.

These are the starters only. In both cases the main mass of data should be in one folder with two subfolders /Official and /Community which you should be able to find on your disk. However, you can't start the sim from there.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

36 minutes ago, pmb said:

It depends if you bought and installed via MS Store or Steam.

I guess the first one. In this case open the MS store (it's one of the tiles on the start menu) and check the state. You can also start if from there.

If you're with Steam, open Steam, MyLibrary and there should be a menu entry to start the sim.

These are the starters only. In both cases the main mass of data should be in one folder with two subfolders /Official and /Community which you should be able to find on your disk. However, you can't start the sim from there.

Kind regards, Michael

I bought it via MS Store. I don't know anything about Steam and don't want to either.

"check the state", what does that mean, sir?

When there is says I have the "digital license" installed, but it appears now I have to click install again. Which is what I did in the first place.  Yes, I did originally have those two sub-folders.

This is way too complicated, gees.

So I have no launch button or menu to launch which suggests I have to reinstall. I just don't want to have to do this again, hours of download and loose it again.

Near CAM3

I have on the store page:

Check mark, you own the game.

Large button, "Install on my devices".

The listed product is

XBOX LIVE

Microsoft Flight Simulator: Standard

Near CAM3

I don't have the MS Store version, thus I can't check directly. However I think you should be able to start MSFS directly from the MS Store. Go to MyLibraray (3 dots at the upper right) showing all installed apps. If it's installed there is a blue button "Start" at the r.h.s.

If it's not installed (a blue button "Install" instead) I think you have to reinstall, but be careful. The store only installs a minimum 4 GB, the rest (> 100 GB) will be installed upon startup of the program. In this case you can point to the folder you made yesterday where it will be recognized. That folder should be still on your disk, just make a search.

Personally, I had nothing but trouble with installation of the MS Store version though (short story is somwhere here on AVSIM), returned it, bought the Steam version and I'm a happy camper since.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

What happens if you open your start menu, then type 'Microsoft Flight Simulator'?

Edited by wims80
  • Like 1

vatsim s3

1133704.png

As wims80 has said, it is in your start menu and you can start it from there. Just scroll down to the "M's and it will be there if it is still installed and it should be.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

This has to be a troll post. The sim doesnt just disappear after a day of flying and shutting the computer down.

Go to start menu, Microsoft Store. Click on three dots on upper right of your screen, then select My Library. You should see Microsoft Flight sim, select Launch. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, devgrp said:

This has to be a troll post. The sim doesnt just disappear after a day of flying and shutting the computer down.

If everyone who asks a question on a forum about a new system they are unfamiliar with is considered a troll, we may as well not bother and close the whole thing down...

• Like 4

Ian S

38.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ian S said:

If everyone who asks a question on a forum about a new system they are unfamiliar with is considered a troll, we may as well not bother and close the whole thing down...

No!!!

Its just starting to get somewhat positive and optimistic around here! 

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Go to start menu, Microsoft Store. Click on three dots on upper right of your screen, then select My Library. You should see Microsoft Flight sim, select Launch. 

That's exactly what I suggested a few contributions earlier. Unfortunately, there is a (faint) possibility it's no longer marked as installed (i.e. with a "Start" button). I find, that MS Store behaves a bit irrationally, at times. In this case he will have to reinstall it, but hopefully only the ~4 GB base set.

And, btw. I know 1st fltsimguy for so long that I don't find it appropriate to call him a troll. Even more, shouldn't we be glad someone entering the MSFS community, and give him a friendly hand? 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pmb said:

That's exactly what I suggested a few contributions earlier. Unfortunately, there is a (faint) possibility it's no longer marked as installed (i.e. with a "Start" button). I find, that MS Store behaves a bit irrationally, at times. In this case he will have to reinstall it, but hopefully only the ~4 GB base set.

Kind regards, Michael

The reason I posted what I did, was because I looked at it two minutes before I posted it, to make sure it was what the OP would see. There is no "Start button", just  "Launch" as I stated. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I had the same problem and solved it by going in to the registry deleting the following directories and restarting the computer.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GamingRuntime

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GamingOverlay

Make sure you back up the registry before you  make any changes. You ill need to create a new shortcut.

If you can walk away it's a good landing

This is why MS/A are excited to deploy to Xbox, where the incessant need to change everything from install folders to 'mods' is largely eliminated.  I'm one who went full on default everything and I fly daily w/o problems and have all along.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X