Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

SU 5: The best and worst version so far

3 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

It was the best of time, it was the worst of times

Ah yes, just like this thread, A Tale of Two Simmers.😊

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

There is no doubt they improved the performance, but it came at a cost. The main graphical hit is the grass rendering and the clouds, and also the autogen appears to be less sharp. There is some type of interpolated blur going on now and it appears to be forcing a lower lod . The grass looks a lot different than before as far as sharpness goes, at least from the cockpit or rear camera view, maybe not close up.

I do not like the gamma changes they made with the clouds either, it makes things look more washed out.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I"ll put my two cents in here.  I didn't try to update yesterday. I knew better. I didn't have to be the first to get it.  I updated today: from start of update to fly now (includes content manager update also) 3 hours on a max 100 mbit/sec. Got nearly that speed.  No glitch with update (never have been).  Did a quick 32 minute VFR from KIPT Williamsport PA to KAVP Wilkes-Barre Scranton in Beech Bonanza no traffic live weather. I have done this many times. No CTD, no stutters , no pause no popping in.  I did notice the following three things overall brightness increase, some slight shimmering in a few buildings and decreased sharpness of clouds.

I have an Intel cpu ay 3.7G, 32 G memory at 2900 Mh and a 1080Ti.  My settings are almost all ultra.  I don't watch mu FPS, as long as it is smooth I don't care what the frames are. I also don't heavily mod anything.

The takeaway:  I see no difference in my machine's performance between last update and yesterdays except for the three things I mentioned.  I am pleased.

Perhaps I am a fortunate son.

Joe

Edited by jmfabio
to copy

Get used to disappointment - The Dread Pirate Roberts

I imagine on a regular sized monitor, the changes they made aren't as noticeable. However, using it on a projector on a 100"+ screen, some of the ground textures look pretty bad now, they even modded the way the asphalt blends into the ground. A lot of the roads look too plain white now.

I will have to mess around with my graphics settings some.

The only way to describe it would be "more cartoony" I suppose, it has lost some of the realism it had.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

17 hours ago, SlowFlyer said:

The Xbox specs will be the same next month as it will be in two years. PC parts will be FASTER and BETTER next year. MSFS probably can not get "visually" better, because the sim has to run on the components the Xbox has spec-ed.  So when the 3090 or 3080ti next years get cheaper, will these cards be worth buying to get a better experience in two years?  Will the pop up, side refreshing every be removed? I doubt it. It's an immersion killer for me. Looks less perfect - yes, this past weekend, it look perfect to me. Even just on "high" setting.

Plenty of games available on both consoles and PCs allow for better graphics on the PC side, so it is very much possible for Asobo to do it with MSFS. I would not be surprised at all if they continue to improve the optimizations between console and PC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

Ah yes, just like this thread, A Tale of Two Simmers.😊

At least someone love good literature. that was quite funny. thanks for the laugh.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

35 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

At least someone love good literature. that was quite funny. thanks for the laugh.

Well, I knew if you didn't like the joke at least you wouldn't hold a Burnaby Grudge about it.🙂

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

4 hours ago, Slides said:

There might be a classist element to it by looking down on others on consoles and less powerful PCs.

There has always been a certain element in this community who would get upset if you dared to call Flight Simulator a “game” instead of a simulator.

They never got the point that Microsoft cares about the commercial success of the product, and that means making it a commercial success with retail customers, many of whom just want to fly around pretending to be a pilot. Bringing the title to XBOX means they are trying to expand that consumer appeal.

The success of the title will be more about how many teenage girls get a kick out of flying over their boyfriend’s house, rather than whether or not some 60 year old wannabe airline pilot is able to set the FMC of an airliner with absolute fidelity.

Yes…things need to work, but the focus is on mass market and always has been. The hardcore “simmer” is a very small % of their target consumer (and always has been).

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I had a wonderful smooth flight between ESSA and ENGM tonight with the Longitude, all at max ultra with live traffic, the pop ins was hardly noticeable and no stuttering at all, I average 50 fps at both airports with lot of traffic, fantastic.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

4 hours ago, wim123 said:

yes, isnt it funny..the richer the more spoilt they seem.

i find this a good update , yes some issues, but i can run again with photogrammtry on and its smooth, treelod fixed too.

i am happy, i dont see the popup some people complain about probably only visible on highest settings.

I think you have something there...I agree with you, better to be word not allowed and poor.

(wow, we live in a world where women can kill their unborn children at will, you can change your gender at will, but you can't use the word ign#$%ant on avsim.)

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

19 hours ago, devgrp said:

XP and p3d is still available. Maybe one of those will be better for you 

Nope, he would like to have exactly what he had three days ago. Is he asking too much?

59 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

There has always been a certain element in this community who would get upset if you dared to call Flight Simulator a “game” instead of a simulator.

They never got the point that Microsoft cares about the commercial success of the product, and that means making it a commercial success with retail customers, many of whom just want to fly around pretending to be a pilot. Bringing the title to XBOX means they are trying to expand that consumer appeal.

The success of the title will be more about how many teenage girls get a kick out of flying over their boyfriend’s house, rather than whether or not some 60 year old wannabe airline pilot is able to set the FMC of an airliner with absolute fidelity.

Yes…things need to work, but the focus is on mass market and always has been. The hardcore “simmer” is a very small % of their target consumer (and always has been).

You mean like this?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

10 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

Nope, he would like to have exactly what he had three days ago. Is he asking too much?

no, but thats not possible, and i have seen this with some other online games too, updates are mandatory, if things get less likable for you, its just bad luck.

4 hours ago, Slides said:

There might be a classist element to it by looking down on others on consoles and less powerful PCs.

Simple solution: a slider to allow everyone to personalize settings and manage the fps - eye candy tradeoff as  they want.

It is also classist to dumb down things not allowing those who invested in hardware to fully enjoy the sim.

As if with next update they made the use of 500$ joysticks impossible: all those with el cheapo 4.99$ controllers would be happy, I know. This is the world where we live. When I was young I looked at expensive gear, both hi-end audio and computers, dreaming to be able to afford them, not envying those who could.

A.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ADamiani said:

Simple solution: a slider to allow everyone to personalize settings and manage the fps - eye candy tradeoff as  they want.

That sounds like a great solution, unfortunately history here tell us that we have the same comments only invoked by the user self 🤣

André