Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

How has sim update 5 affected your experience?

How has sim update 5 affected your experience?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How has sim update 5 affected your experience?

• Slightly higher FPS, same or better visuals
    • Much higher FPS, same or better visuals
    • Much higher FPS, but lower visual quality
    • Slightly higher FPS, but lower visual quality
    • No change whatsoever

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

I can't make SU5 work yet. I've CTD'd 8 times all with different variables. (Traffic/MP off, tried the FBW x3, then the PMDG, then the default Beechcraft x3, then the 1st training flight | In FlyTampa Vegas, then KDCA, then the middle of nowhere in the South Atlantic a few times.) Sometimes it crashes the moment I select "fly now", others while initially loading in the cockpit.

Should note prior to this patch I never encountered CTD's so it must be one of the new features or settings or something. I'll sit down and figure out what settings is doing it when I have more time.

I went though a couple of months of CTDs when I first got MSFS. Nothing more discouraging that planing a flight, taking off, and getting close to arrival, and suddenly you are looking at your desktop. After a couple of those, you are on pins and needles on every flight just waiting for the next crash. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Slightly higher FPS, but lower visual quality.Whites seem to bright almost blinding and something weird is happening with clouds.

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

I can't make SU5 work yet. I've CTD'd 8 times all with different variables. (Traffic/MP off, tried the FBW x3, then the PMDG, then the default Beechcraft x3, then the 1st training flight | In FlyTampa Vegas, then KDCA, then the middle of nowhere in the South Atlantic a few times.) Sometimes it crashes the moment I select "fly now", others while initially loading in the cockpit.

Should note prior to this patch I never encountered CTD's so it must be one of the new features or settings or something. I'll sit down and figure out what settings is doing it when I have more time.

That really sucks.

Have you tried emptying the Community folder? 

Or switching the knobs and switches to Legacy mode under Accessability settings? 

And of course update the graphics drivers. 

Maybe update the Working Title addons?

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

4 hours ago, rwy12 said:

Worst experience so far.

Controllers lost all assignments.

Planes do not move .

Could not do a flight.

Doing fresh in stall.

I wish there was an option to upgrade.

Qas

Same here with fresh install - Lost all controllers - left with mouse only. But for a while I manage to fly the C152 by touching the cockpit controls with mouse and was fluid..

Regards,

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

At hour 22 of the update process, downloading at 1.46 mbits/sec (0.1825 MBps). Reminiscent of the days of a dial up connection. So far, a total download of about 72 GB for an "update" and judging by the posts so far, the main achievement will be that many addons are broken and the simulator does not work as well as it did.

A true masterpiece.

Update: now downloading at "please wait", a speed of 0 mbits\sec.☹️

Update 2: completed after 22 hours and 50 minutes.

Update 3: without any addons other than the DC 6, a two hour flight from Bayonne Anglet to La Rochelle was completed without the slightest problem and with an improved frame rate and smooth performance.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

I did three VOR/DME approaches in Mayotte (great watermasks) with the DC-6 , a departure from Miami with the same, one very short try of the XCub with floats.

Where I usually fly (outside large conurbations), it maybe a little smoothier but it was OK before and the gain in a large hub like KMIA with traffic is negligible (25 vs 23 fps). The light tends to bleach out more than before or so it seems. Some panning problems up close with the watermasks in lateral views. It reminded the large squares of water in FSX... The DC-6 cockpit textures lost their sharpness (acknowledged by PMDG). Cosmetic changes in the UI except for the world map background which is a good surprise.

The jury is still out for me so I didn't answer the poll. I need more flights. At this stage, if I had to sum up my feeling it would be why in Heavens do they force me to download 60 GB for that (my cap is 200 so I care).

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

So far, a total download of about 72 GB for an "update"  

The Steam version was 60 GB (40+20). Are you reinstalling ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm very pleased with this latest update with the exception of the overexposed clouds. Bumped most of my settings up to ultra/high and everything is smooth as silk. I may be one of a few that really likes the highlighted dials/button functionality. I find I have much better control using the mouse wheel for spinning the dials and knobs. I also believe my loading times are improved as well. This is by far the best performance I've experienced to date!

Very important to start with an empty Community folder initially then begin adding back updated mods.

• Like 2

System: i7-10700K, Asus Formula XII, 32GB ram, Samsung 2TB NVMe SSD, EVGA FTW 3090, HP Reverb G2 headset

Hardware: VitualFly Yoko yoke, VirtualFly TQ6 throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Simulations: MSFS 2020 (VR), P3Dv5.3 (VR), X-Plane 11.5 (VR), DCS (VR)

The scenery appears to look worse now as its got a grainy, washed out look about it - not realistic colours at all. The default buildings look like they have been melted a bit and there is an abundance of trees now, too many in city centres.

My small plane is now almost impossible to control now, the throttle lever is not working properly even though I have checked it in control settings and the trim is way over sensitive.

Asobo may put a lot of effort into this update, but they sure have a long way to go to get things right, as it does feel a bit like they have focussed on one area but broken a lot of other things. I sure hope they get it fixed as this was looking so realistic and promising until the update- now Im just hoping for a useable product!

6 hours ago, canadiantree said:

Interested in seeing how the latest update has affected simmers vs what Microsoft has advertised.

If you have higher FPS, a rough % would be interesting for others to see

My first impression. No change in fps but somewhat lesser stutters (Flight from KEWR towards Manhattan)
So none of the suggested alternatives apply for me.

• Like 1

First experience is generally positive. Looks like they've done some balancing in HDR because of the overall effect appears to be better now (and it was already great). Clouds appearing as they should while cockpit brightness is now reasonable instead of being overly dark.

A slight amount of pop-in when suddenly looking left or right. Framerate generally up. Tree distance seems slightly better (although nowhere near as good as some were saying during the beta).

has improved A LOT places like NYC flying  low by the hudson was a 15 FPS area on ULTRA is now  low 50s high 70s FPS thats how it has improved , like i said  ALOTTT > 

• Like 3

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Mostly positive.

Love the new high frame rates. Smoother in general, but having at least one 10 second long stutter on each flight so far. The pop in can be noticeable, but not anywhere as bad as I feared reading the forums while waiting for the download to finish. Love the new world map!

Hopefully this is a new base for them to improve on with future updates as there is definitely room for improvement. A few less pop ins for a few less FPS would suit me, but at the same time wouldn't trade SU4 for SU5 which is the important thing.

• Like 2

So, changing the Mouse to 'Legacy' allows me to us the mouse for buttons in the cockpit now (which is nice) but it still has a really annoying habit of disappearing and the only way I've found to get it back is to move it to the other screen, come back to MSFS, press Esc (which inevitably takes you back to the menu) , wiggle it about a bit while frantically pressing mouse buttons and eventually it reappears.  So, trying to change settings is a nightmare as I first of all have to get the mouse cursor to reappear.  Am I missing something here?

Apart from that, another short flight or two showed an improvement in FPS at Orbx EGLC (it was previously virtually unflyable) but no real improvements in FPS elsewhere.  Maybe less stuttering now and hopefully that'll improve when the servers stop being hammered (?).

Not sure if this is a feature of this update or not (but I think it is) is that some amazing water-masks have appeared.  Just did a sort flight around Alderney (EGJB) and the water-masks are excellent.  You can see the rocks under the water along the coast - superb. Not sure they were there before but it's been a while since I flew there last.

Did a little water landing in the C172 too which was good, nice to see some wake although hopefully the graphics of it will be improved over time.  One annoying feature was a constant warning that 'gear up for water landing' long after I'd landed.

Overall initial impression is quite good.  If the mouse problem is solved I'd be happy with it although not sure the changes warranted a 24 download fest!  Very little popping that's been reported elsewhere, only a little along the coast of Alderney.  None seen anywhere else so far.

I"ll put my two cents in here.  I didn't try to update yesterday. I knew better. I didn't have to be the first to get it.  I updated today: from start of update to fly now (includes content manager update also) 3 hours on a max 100 mbit/sec. Got nearly that speed.  No glitch with update (never have been).  Did a quick 32 minute VFR from KIPT Williamsport PA to KAVP Wilkes-Barre Scranton in Beech Bonanza no traffic live weather. I have done this many times. No CTD, no stutters , no pause no popping in.  I did notice the following three things overall brightness increase, some slight shimmering in a few buildings and decreased sharpness of clouds.

I have an Intel cpu ay 3.7G, 32 G memory at 2900 Mh and a 1080Ti.  My settings are almost all ultra.  I don't watch mu FPS, as long as it is smooth I don't care what the frames are. I also don't heavily mod anything.

The takeaway:  I see no difference in my machine's performance between last update and yesterdays except for the three things I mentioned.  I am pleased.

Perhaps I am a fortunate son.

Joe

Get used to disappointment - The Dread Pirate Roberts