Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

The dev team has acknowledged the issues...

48 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

It depends on location and season. In the eastern and southern US in summer, haze is almost always present to a greater or lesser degree. Winter is an entirely different matter. Out west, you can have truly unlimited visibility at any time of year. 

One problem in MSFS is there is no proper way to set visibility in standard aviation units. “Particle Density” alone is not sufficient. Also, MSFS does not simulate the boundary layer. Here in the east, we might have substantial haze in summer in the first few thousand feet of the air mass, but it can become crystal clear at higher altitudes.

My experience as a pilot was in the Northeast and Southeast, but I have flown as a passenger all over the US , Europe, Canada, and Mexico , in all seasons. The haze in MSFS is not the way the sky looks in to me in real life, in different seasons and weather conditions. Many times it is way over done. Just a way to cut down on the load for graphics quality, I suppose. It was not like this prior to SU5.

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

"... Here in the northeastern US in summer, in-flight horizontal visibility is often 6 or 7 miles at best, even on a clear and sunny day...."

Utter nonsense. We're located in New England and we fly out of KDXR regularly. At 3000' we see KOXC (20 miles), if heading south, parallel to Interstate 684, we see the M. Cuomo Bridge over the Hudson (previously, Tappan Zee Bridge) (~ 20 miles), and when heading west over the Hudson, in the vicinity of the Newburgh-Beacon bridge, we very, very often see the NYC skyline ~50 miles south. Once we reach typical flying altitude *for us* (5000' & 5500' or 4000' & 4500', depending on IFR/VFR and direction of travel) for one of our jaunts, visibility is *often* significantly greater than "6 or 7 miles at best". In fact, when we scoot over to Block Island (KBID) for our "$100 steamers" (our variation on the "$100 hamburger"), we often see the northern Long Island coast & selected, tall buildings thereon (13 - 32 miles from aircraft depending on route & location of aircraft), and we *often* see Mt. Greylock (elev. approx. 3500') approx. 85 miles away in Massachusetts.

PPL, VFR/IFR

Edited by RustyFlyer

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

20 hours ago, Aristoteles said:

Let´s just hope everything gets fixed soon. Good news.

Yeah my Nordon bombsite is way off now!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RustyFlyer said:

Nonsense. We're located in New England and fly we out of KDXR regularly. Once we reach typical flying altitude *for us* (5000' & 5500' depending on IFR/VFR, or 4000' & 4500'), visibility is *often* significantly greater than "6 or 7 miles at best". In fact, when we scoot over to Block Island for our "$100 steamers" (our variation on the "$100 hamburger"), we often see the northern Long Island coast & selected, tall buildings thereon (13 - 32 miles from aircraft depending on route & location of aircraft), and we *often* see Mt. Greylock (elev. approx. 3500') in Massachusetts approx. 85 miles away.

PPL, VFR/IFR

I would love to be able to go somewhere and have some good "steamers' Here in land locked Atlanta, impossible to find. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I would love to be able to go somewhere and have some good "steamers' Here in land locked Atlanta, impossible to find. 

Had to read this a few times before I realized you were talking about seafood & not a really humid day! 🙂

• Like 1

The biggest issue for me is the weather being bugged out. It's of course not an SU5 issue, it just happened to pop up right before its release. I remember back on FSX there was also a high altitude temperature bug that happened every now and then, very similar to what we're experiencing now in FS11. IIRC it was said to be caused by the way simconnect injects the weather back then, not sure if what we're seeing now is related

vatsim s3

1133704.png

6 hours ago, Aristoteles said:

I havent got Xplane installed since...years, but what I mean, is that in SU5 building sides, roofs, and overall appearance looks way duller. Evrything seems covered with a a yellowish tint. Chrimatic richness and vibrance is gone.

SU4 (this is what I loved about the sim, that chromatic richness, shadows, illumination....)

Su4.jpg?width=1202&height=676

SU5 (way blurrier, homogeneous, less vibrant and hazy. It looks like a cheap photographic filter was applied on top and reflection/illumination richness was taken back to Xplane 11 vanilla times)

Su5.jpg?width=1202&height=676

By the way, SU4 pic was taken with LOD 100 , SU5 with lod 300, and still....

Below pic is what I would consider an upgrade...can you get those Blackshark generated building towns to look like that now? 

Quesada.jpg?width=1202&height=676

Exactly the degradation in visual quality I see. MSFS now is nothing like the visually stunning sim we had a launch.  Even the bottom picture looks horrid against the launch graphics.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
Addition
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Exactly the degradation in visual quality I see. MSFS now is nothing like the visually stunning sim we had a launch.  Even the bottom picture looks horrid against the launch graphics.

That is exactly what I have been seeing since SU5, and frankly, it sucks, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayharris108 said:

Hi 

thanks that is an excellent point

after setting colour grading and sharpening = 0, I set the cfg file to read only.

Doh!

let’s see if it works now?

Setting he cfg file to read only seems to work, I just try it 👍

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

11 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

So what happens when they fix the visibility issue in live weather? Low visibility due to humidity and haze will give a more washed out look. People will whine about that too.

Can't speak for others, but I can distinguish between bug and feature.

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

8 hours ago, Aristoteles said:

Blackshark buildings now look so Xplane-ish

They look identical to pre SU5 to me.

Edited by Tuskin38

8 hours ago, Aristoteles said:

can you get those Blackshark generated building towns to look like that now? 

Tell me where the image was taken and I'll show you.