Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

The dev team has acknowledged the issues...

1 minute ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Somewhat anecdotal I suppose, but to me Medium now looks like Low used to look, Ultra look like Medium (at best), even when I know (well we think) that I am really in Ultra.

Makes sense as the Xbox probably runs at medium settings to maintain 30fps…

5 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Again my eyes might not be as sharp but here i took 2 from my seat . Is it the same ?

https://ibb.co/vZFkBmH

Michael Moe

It's pretty close, yours looks a bit sharper though, but I don't consider either one that great.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I take it no one has found a way to make these setting stick yet Noel?

If you're of those where the settings are not "sticking" and you have to use the LOW+SAVE then ULTRA+SAVE trick, can you check your UserCfg.opt file for the following:

{Graphics
	Version 1.1.0
	Preset Custom

Change whatever Preset value you have to Custom, then start the game and see whether you still have to use the trick.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 3

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

My biggest problem now, besides I don't believe transition altitude (US 18000) is appreciated because the dang ATC keeps telling me to expedidite my climb/descent to X when I'm already at X, and this is new in SU, is cloud density/quality.  This is in Ultra mode, non-HDR.  I do have a monitor w/ Dynamic Contrast which is similar to HDR kind of a basic HDR.  But as I say clouds not are not nearly as dense/complex as in SU4 on back and let's face it half of the world we fly in is in the atmosphere.  Here's a shot of a squall near my home and I haven't seen anything this dramatic w/ SU5 it's very much reduced in depth and quality.  I'm not surprised because clouds can kill GPU utlization but I have a bunch of GPU processing power now sitting on the sidelines:

KBJC-Squalls.png

Lausanne, Switzerland where we saw Marion Jones run many years ago:

fullsizeoutput-223f.jpg

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The clouds are just too anecdotal to analyze IMO, the clouds were always all over the place in this game. I do think the lighting has messed with them, but it's pretty hard to be sure just how much as any comparisons are not simple. Could come up with a decent comparison maybe, but really need access to a PC running SU-4. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

My suggestion would be not to fly too high or too low, fly around the hills or even fly more in dusk with not a lot of dense buildings, the degradation is less noticeable in those conditions.

Well, the two screenshots above are from pre-SU5.  Please post anything that looks like this if you happen to fly thru them.  I did have one flight I must say that looked better than all other flights done in SU5, but then I also seem some really weird layered clouds I never saw before that do not look like anything in the real world.  Also as I've mentioned there as always been a relative lack of definition even in pre-SU5 clouds that I hope some day is improved upon.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The moment I have seen those pics I knew it was pre SU5, Noel. That feeling is what , to me is so sadly missing now.  

Edited by Aristoteles
  • Like 2

Iñigo Bildarratz

21 minutes ago, RXP said:

If you're of those where the settings are not "sticking" and you have to use the LOW+SAVE then ULTRA+SAVE trick, can you check your UserCfg.opt file for the following:

{Graphics
	Version 1.1.0
	Preset Custom

Change whatever Preset value you have to Custom, then start the game and see whether you still have to use the trick.

My Setting dont stick since SU5

I changed to LOD 3.0/3.0 but setting look OK in here but in the Sim setting are not right

Screenshot-1420.png

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

23 minutes ago, Noel said:

My biggest problem now, besides I don't believe transition altitude (US 18000) is appreciated because the dang ATC keeps telling me to expedidite my climb/descent to X when I'm already at X, and this is new in SU, is cloud density/quality.  This is in Ultra mode, non-HDR.  I do have a monitor w/ Dynamic Contrast which is similar to HDR kind of a basic HDR.  But as I say clouds not are not nearly as dense/complex as in SU4 on back and let's face it half of the world we fly in is in the atmosphere.  Here's a shot of a squall near my home and I haven't seen anything this dramatic w/ SU5 it's very much reduced in depth and quality.  I'm not surprised because clouds can kill GPU utlization but I have a bunch of GPU processing power now sitting on the sidelines:

KBJC-Squalls.png

Lausanne, Switzerland where we saw Marion Jones run many years ago:

fullsizeoutput-223f.jpg

Those shots look exciting, just like they did at release.  Those showers look dense, these days it's like a mist dropping from the cloud.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

12 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

My Setting dont stick since SU5

I changed to LOD 3.0/3.0 but setting look OK in here but in the Sim setting are not right

There are a few things not right, and possibly causing FS2020 to chock when reading the settings and inducing errors when rendering.

The one I can spot immediately is OmniContributionCullingThreshold which has never been 0 since day 1.

For what it's worth, here is my entire file:

1. Backup your file then copy/paste mine.
  2. Copy/paste the Adapter setting from your backup file.
  3. Copy/paste the InstalledPackagesPath setting (last line of the file) from your backup file.
  4. Just in case, when you change a 2D setting, try using the same in VR too (like in my file)

NB: OmniContributionCullingThreshold has different values between 2D and VR by default. I don't know whether this is bug, or whether it is intentional (culling out some computing in VR).

PS: I don't seem to have any problem with "non sticking settings" however this doesn't change the fact visuals are really different for me too with SU5. My settings below are not meant to be a "reference" everyone should use, just a sane base to start with given at least on my system, they stick between sessions (so it seems to me).

-

Version 66
{Video
	Adapter "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER"
	Monitor 0
	Windowed 1
	FullscreenBorderless 0
	Resolution 2555 1440
	FullScreenResolution 2555 1440
	PrimaryScaling 1.000000
	SecondaryScaling 1.000000
	PrimaryScalingVR 1.000000
	SecondaryScalingVR 1.000000
	VSync 0
	HDR10 0
	Raytracing 0
	PosX 795
	PosY 273
}
{Graphics
	Version 1.1.0
	Preset Custom
	{Texture
		MaxAnisotropy 16
		Quality 1
	}
	{SuperSampling
		SuperSampling 1
	}
	{Terrain
		LoDFactor 2.000000
	}
	{ObjectsLoD
		LoDFactor 2.000000
	}
	{Shadows
		MaxSliceCount 4
		Size 768
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS0 0.100000
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS1 0.100000
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS2 0.100000
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS3 0.100000
		OmniContributionCullingThreshold 0.020000
	}
	{HeightFieldShadows
		Enabled 1
		Size 512
	}
	{SSRaytracedShadows
		Enabled 0
		Quality 3
	}
	{Water
		FFTSize 512
	}
	{VolumetricClouds
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{VolumetricLights
		Enabled 0
		Quality 3
	}
	{SSR
		Enabled 1
		HalfRes 0
		Quality 2
	}
	{WindShield
		Quality 2
	}
	{SSAO
		Enabled 0
		Quality 3
	}
	{AA
		Enabled 1
		Type 2
	}
	{Bloom
		Enabled 1
	}
	{DOF
		Enabled 0
		Quality 3
	}
	{MotionBlur
		Enabled 0
		Quality 3
	}
	{Buildings
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{VegetationLarge
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{VegetationSmall
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{TextureSynthesis
		Quality 2
	}
	{PostProcess
		Enabled 1
		EyeAdaptation 1
		ColorGrading 1
		Sharpen 1
		Fringe 1
		LensDistortion 0
		Dirt 1
		LensFlare 0
		FilmGrain 1
		Vignette 1
		LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
		FringeMultiplier 1.000000
	}
	{VectorDataTessellation
		Enabled 0
		Quality 3
	}
}
{GraphicsVR
	Version 1.1.0
	Preset Custom
	{Texture
		MaxAnisotropy 16
		Quality 1
	}
	{SuperSampling
		SuperSampling 1
	}
	{Terrain
		LoDFactor 2.000000
	}
	{ObjectsLoD
		LoDFactor 2.000000
	}
	{Shadows
		MaxSliceCount 4
		Size 768
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS0 0.100000
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS1 0.100000
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS2 0.100000
		DLightContributionCullingThresholdS3 0.100000
		OmniContributionCullingThreshold 0.050000
	}
	{HeightFieldShadows
		Enabled 1
		Size 512
	}
	{SSRaytracedShadows
		Enabled 0
		Quality 0
	}
	{Water
		FFTSize 512
	}
	{VolumetricClouds
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{VolumetricLights
		Enabled 0
		Quality 0
	}
	{SSR
		Enabled 1
		HalfRes 0
		Quality 2
	}
	{WindShield
		Quality 2
	}
	{SSAO
		Enabled 0
		Quality 0
	}
	{AA
		Enabled 1
		Type 2
	}
	{Bloom
		Enabled 1
	}
	{DOF
		Enabled 0
		Quality 0
	}
	{MotionBlur
		Enabled 0
		Quality 0
	}
	{Buildings
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{VegetationLarge
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{VegetationSmall
		Enabled 1
		Quality 2
	}
	{TextureSynthesis
		Quality 2
	}
	{PostProcess
		Enabled 1
		EyeAdaptation 1
		ColorGrading 1
		Sharpen 1
		Fringe 0
		LensDistortion 0
		Dirt 0
		LensFlare 0
		FilmGrain 0
		Vignette 0
		LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
		FringeMultiplier 1.000000
	}
	{VectorDataTessellation
		Enabled 0
		Quality 3
	}
}
InstalledPackagesPath "S:\Fs2020"
Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Lausanne, Switzerland  , SU5  - Default config file - 4k Res/4K Render

GClPJA6.jpg

L7VvkvV.jpg

RcMr8M2.jpg

• Like 2

Semper Fi 

FWIW, I just decided to increase Render Scaling as my 2070 Super was sitting at around 62% utilization at this airport, PHLI.  Went to 120 from 100 and it's a little cleaner for sure, so this is a way of course to sharpen things.  I was not able to do this previously as I would have already been in the high 80's here.

Also, I did do Nyxx's trick in flight, changed render scaling as well, then went to UserOptions.cfg or whatever it's called and see LOD is actually at 2.0 FWIW.  I toggled to Low-End and applied, and that value went to 0.25.  So toggled back to Ultra, applied, and it did go back to LOD 2.0 but here's the catch and I assume you folks already know this by I didn't:  I then changed the .cfg to Read Only, went out of the flight to the Main Screen, then started a new flight and the values are retained in .cfg, and it looks like it is from this screenshot.  It is very sharp on screen versus this compressed shot:

PHLI-Saved-Render-Scale-LOD.png

• Like 1

Noel

@joec63 Yes, no need to say, that´s SU5. definitely, where autogen looks like yellowish cardboard boxes.

Edited by Aristoteles
  • Like 1

Iñigo Bildarratz