Sign in to follow this  
Tuskin38

Gamescom 2021 Teasers

On 8/25/2021 at 11:41 AM, steve310002 said:

Indeed. I lived in Montreux for a few years where this castle is located, and the mountain down the valley 'Les Dents Du Midi' looks nothing like that.

Maybe it's the LODS and the mesh is not fully loaded. I doubt the mesh resolution would be that bad up close. But it raises the point that the mesh and satelite imagery LOD has been considerably downgraded in SU5. Now we get a blurry undefined mesh for distant mountains, even those not so far away.

Yes, the mountains are too rounded and blurry. This is what the Dents Du Midi should look like.

xGF1G80.jpg

qTO8Ou8.jpg

This is what it looks like in Bing Maps from up close, so the source data is actually quite good.

25y23ZN.jpg

The poor quality of lower LODs and shape retention is also evident in the other screenshots.

m89GFzz.jpg

While the distance from Chillon Castle to the Dents Du Midi is about 27km, here it is only 5.5km and the result is just as bad.

Same here:

gbDSY3h.jpg

The distance to these cliffs is only about 3km.

I understand that we can’t expect super crisp mountains in the far distance but they should at least retain their shape. Part of the blurriness could also be the result of zooming in, but still, I would expect scenery as close as the cliffs above not to look that blurry.

Another issue is colours. There’s just too much bloom. In the Matterhorn screenshot it’s really hard to tell the difference between rocks/scree slopes and snow.  

1YkLAbU.jpg

I'm still very excited about this update (they even have my hometown in photogrammetry – I never would've thought I'd see this in MSFS). It will certainly be a huge improvement over what we have now, but from the trailer and screenshots it doesn’t look like we can expect too much in terms of blurriness and terrain LOD. It’s pre-release material of course so there’s still a slight chance that in the release version everything’s better but I somehow doubt it. I just hope that they put some energy in solving these issues so that the new data's full potential can be exploited and the alps look as stunning as they do IRL.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

19 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

understand that we can’t expect super crisp mountains in the far distance but they should at least retain their shape.

Vote it up please

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/when-will-the-terrain-shifting-and-morphing-be-investigated-or-fixed/444784/16

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Already done. This is my main gripe with this sim when it comes to scenery

• Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Already done. This is my main gripe with this sim when it comes to scenery

well, its a draw with overexposure and the sometimes overbearing blue haze

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

well, its a draw with overexposure

That‘s pretty annoying as well but at least that shouldn‘t be too difficult to change. 

3 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Yes, the mountains are too rounded and blurry. This is what the Dents Du Midi should look like.

Thanks for making these comparisons. I dread seeing those areas when they morph from that awful LOD to their proper shape. And if it's a similar situation to the Bing Maps app, the morphing will also get really intense when the camera is close, just like other areas with very high mesh resolution, like Mont Blanc, Mount Rainier and others.

At least it is a little encouraging that the thread about the terrain morphing has been tagged as "ado", which according to a moderator means it's on the developers' radar. Same for the coastline glitch, which could indicate that investigation into these issues related to shape retention is finally being escalated.

For anyone that has not done so yet, please upvote this topic in the official forums as well: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mountains-coastlines-constantly-morphing-since-the-usa-uk-nordics-world-updates/339453 The sooner they start doing something about it, the better. They're not going to do World Updates forever.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, VFXSimmer said:

Why does it have to be a zero sum game?  Doing one does not stop the other.

Looking at the XBox implementation and the massive downgrade in PC visuals, that is clearly not a true statement. Nothing g happens in a vacuum. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:39 PM, andyjohnston.net said:

I'll believe it when I see it, and even then I'll have trouble believing it.

Yeah, I believe absolutely nothing Asobo and MS say at this point. Not a single word. 

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

Looking at the XBox implementation and the massive downgrade in PC visuals, that is clearly not a true statement. Nothing g happens in a vacuum. 

And yet ironically, even those “downgraded” visuals on the XBox look better than the other sims.  Must be frustrating.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

And yet ironically, even those “downgraded” visuals on the XBox look better than the other sims.  Must be frustrating.

We shouldn't have to put up with downgrading visuals to the point where it will end up looking like the old simulators. The terrain morphing, coastline glitch, and other pop-in/draw distance problems are legacy issues that have been allowed to return. If there was no push for better graphics, we'd have stayed at the level of FS95 or something.

The regressions that came with Sim Update 5 were probably unintended of course and it is good to see they are being resolved in a timely manner, but some others have been going on for very long without proper acknowledgement.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VFXSimmer said:

Irrelevant. If you removed half of the pistons from my Ferrari I wouldn’t be excited that it was still better than a Yaris. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Irrelevant. If you removed half of the pistons from my Ferrari I wouldn’t be excited that it was still better than a Yaris. 

Hyperbole.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

32 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Hyperbole.

… now a man who drives a minivan is pretending he owns a Ferrari and getting mad when that make believe Ferrari is missing some imagined pistons.

Can’t fault a guy for dreaming I guess.

Edited by VFXSimmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The terrain morphing, coastline glitch, and other pop-in/draw distance problems are legacy issues that have been allowed to return. If there was no push for better graphics, we'd have stayed at the level of FS95 or something.

The regressions that came with Sim Update 5 were probably unintended of course and it is good to see they are being resolved in a timely manner, but some others have been going on for very long without proper acknowledgement.

And that's a big source of the frustration - many issues didn't exist initially (so we know what the engine is capable of delivering) but were introduced in subsequent builds and updates. Really does cry for better release management and QA, and hopefully we'll get it now that the xbox release is complete. 

Edited by DylanM
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

… now a man who drives a minivan is pretending he owns a Ferrari and getting mad when that make believe Ferrari is missing some imagined pistons.

Can’t fault a guy for dreaming I guess.

You mean that your copy of MSFS was faulty since the beginning and didn't look better than now?

Mine looked MUCH better. It was also more memory hungry (both MB RAM and VRAM), and less fluid.

So it was totally different. And the devs know that because they are going to restore those pistons ... sorry, that graphics quality.

Or at least that's what they promised. For the moment they have only acknowledged the regression.

We will see.

A.