Sign in to follow this  
Agrajag

Navigraph Charts or Simbrief?

I just looked into Efb in YouTube as I’m not a fan of monthly subscriptions. I did have navigraph a while back and it was pretty good, but as mentioned the monthly recurring bill isn’t my thing so I canceled it. What I did notice from the few videos on YouTube is that efb doesn’t look too UI friendly, almost looks messy and unorganized. I’ll have to try the demo. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

31 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

Still looking for where that is. I did like how EFB showed the sid/stars as I find the presentation in nav charts to be an overload of intersecting lines and colors.

Airport elevations are found in the headers of nearly all charts.  It sounds like you may just be using the overview function of Navigraph Charts.  Are you viewing and/or using the overlays of the actual charts in the application?  Froogle provides a pretty good 15 minute overview of the application here:

7 hours ago, Agrajag said:

Looking at it now. It seems to require running both a server and a client and their trial is annoyingly trying to get to a time server that it can't reach (researching now) so I can't get into it to try it.

The server and client are both parts of the program. One click to start the server, one click for the client. Takes a total of 5 seconds to get them both running. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I just looked into Efb in YouTube as I’m not a fan of monthly subscriptions. I did have navigraph a while back and it was pretty good, but as mentioned the monthly recurring bill isn’t my thing so I canceled it. What I did notice from the few videos on YouTube is that efb doesn’t look too UI friendly, almost looks messy and unorganized. I’ll have to try the demo. 

If you can run an aircraft in a sim, you can run EFB. My 6 year old great grandaughter can set up a flight with it. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, JRBarrett said:

The Aivlasoft EFB “constructs” charts by using the information contained in the nav database. The resulting charts will only be as accurate as the nav data, and may be missing a lot of information that would be found on an actual chart because the nav data will not contain “everything” needed to re-create the corresponding “real” chart - especially with procedures that may have multiple entry transitions, or multiple minimum descent altitudes for different categories of aircraft.

However, in general, the EFB charts are probably adequate for the great majority of procedures in a flight sim environment.

It uses what is actually in the sim. If it doesn't exist in the sim, how would you run it anyway?????

1 hour ago, MadDog said:

Airport elevations are found in the headers of nearly all charts.  It sounds like you may just be using the overview function of Navigraph Charts.  Are you viewing and/or using the overlays of the actual charts in the application?  Froogle provides a pretty good 15 minute overview of the application here:

When he says navigraph is not feature rich, then its best to end the convesation there.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 hours ago, Agrajag said:

It's nice that it's in-sim but I don't find it to be feature-rich enough on its own. 

Maybe it's just my system, but I find the In-Game Panel to be clumsy by comparison to its regular app.  If I'm flying an aircraft that doesn't have the advanced nav systems that can incorporate the charts, I simply start the regular Navigraph App with the flight and charts loaded and minimize it.  Whenever I need it, it's an Alt-Tab away, remembers exactly where I was last time, and is easy to navigate and runs smoothly.

Randall Rocke

8 hours ago, RJC68 said:

I do the exact same thing and run Navigraph charts on my other PC. Sometimes I find getting the Star/Approach can be a little confusing so I have LittleNavMap as a backup. I would prefer if when you viewed the Stars/approaches you could view one at a time so the display was a little less cluttered.

Exactly, LittleNavMap is an amazing resource for marketing sense of some of those more complicated SID/STARS.

• Like 1

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

LOL! Learning something new all the time.

In-game ATC just told me to do a side-step when I requested a different runway.

Sure thing!! (hastily jumps online to figure out what a side-step is....)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm using the Navigraph in-game panel. They have steadily improved it. I'd say: revisit it if you haven't tried it in awhile. 

I generally make the route outside of the sim using Charts and when I start the sim and open the in-game panel, the flight plan is there.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I use Navigraph and for me it has become indispensable, I really like the option to be able to upload charts directly in GTN-750.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

8 hours ago, Nyxx said:

When he says navigraph is not feature rich, then its best to end the convesation there.

Then why didn't you? Gotta love trolls. Nearly everyone here said they use it in conjunction with another tool (mainly SimBrief) so apparently you're not going to be communicating with much of anyone anytime soon.

Edited by Agrajag

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

I usually just use Skyvector for mapping and Windy for weather/wind direction.

Skyvector isn't the easiest to use, still can't figure out the whole dragging the line bit so I'm just busy typing in my VOR's, fixes, and/or airways.

Windy has a slider for surface level through various altitudes, so you can get an idea of what's happening at the surface as well as various cruising altitudes. You can even type in your airport's code, so typing BOS or KBOS pops you right over to Boston Logan. Most of the minor airports and other weather stations also work too. You can zoom in pretty close, close enough to discern even <2000 ft runways and get a good guess as to the wind there.

EFB2 Aivlasoft - manual:

Navigational Data

• Aerosoft NavDataPro (Lufthansa/LIDO)

• Navigraph FMS Data (Jeppesen)

Whenever a new add-on scenery is added to the Simulator or whenever a new AIRAC Cycle is added, the Database of EFBv2 must be updated to reflect the latest changes. These updates are performed with the program "Database Builder".

EFB is an UI. Limitations for MSFS are listed on their webpage .....

If you want to use or you need actual navdata (recommended for online flying with VATSIM/IVAO or Pilot Edge), you have to have navigraph anyways.   

For IFR Flight planning I use Simbrief - esp. for such things like weather, fuel, alternate, TOD.and so on; and Navigraph Charts. Charts are importend for taxiing too, to follow instructions from online ATC (MSFS fails here).

For VFR Flight planning and monitoring - PlanG.

Best regards

Detlef

5 hours ago, Agrajag said:

Then why didn't you? Gotta love trolls. Nearly everyone here said they use it in conjunction with another tool (mainly SimBrief) so apparently you're not going to be communicating with much of anyone anytime soon.

I used Navigraph and simbrief all the time it was YOU that said navigraph is not feature rich,🙄 that says all we need to know...🤣 I would say more but frankly you have again shown your not worth the time of day. Now calling me a troll,🙄 🤣 "bless"

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip