Sign in to follow this  
Agrajag

Navigraph Charts or Simbrief?

I've been wanting to consider making a switch to simply the already-complex process of preparing for a flight. I end up having to use several tools for different things.

I use Simbrief to build my routes (for use in the CRJ FMS) and then a sight like AirNav to get my elevation data and such (which I still can't seem to find in SimBrief) and I also pay for Navigraph Charts so I often will use that as my moving map.

Am I over-complicating things here? Can I get all of what I need in just one of them?

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

Aivlasoft EFB

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

3 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Aivlasoft EFB

Nice looking software....

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

Avliasoft EFB, it has everything you need. and you can use Simbrief with it.  

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Looking at it now. It seems to require running both a server and a client and their trial is annoyingly trying to get to a time server that it can't reach (researching now) so I can't get into it to try it.

Edited by Agrajag

I create my flights in Simbrief, and use Navigraph Charts on a separate pc - similar to what you do, It works for me.

• Like 2

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

55 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Aivlasoft EFB

That looks interesting. What exactly is the difference to Navigraph charts apart from the design? No subscription, just 59.- once? Is is usable in VR?

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I use navigraph as I like to use it for MSFS nav data, I also love having Navigraph on my iPad for charts and it followes your flight. I have tried others but the navigraph app is the best imho.

Navigraph is also built into simbrief as its own by Navigraph.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

24 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

That looks interesting. What exactly is the difference to Navigraph charts apart from the design? No subscription, just 59.- once? Is is usable in VR?

Never used Navigraph Charts so can't help you there. Also don't use VR at all.Strike two!

Sorry I'm no help.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Just now, Nyxx said:

I use navigraph as I like to use it for MSFS nav data, I also love having Navigraph on my iPad for charts and it followes your flight. I have tried other but the navigraph app is the best imho.

I'm always impressed with Navigraph's software, but will give the demo period a try for EFB2. So far it's been VERY similar.

1 hour ago, duckbilled said:

I create my flights in Simbrief, and use Navigraph Charts on a separate pc - similar to what you do, It works for me.

I do the exact same thing and run Navigraph charts on my other PC. Sometimes I find getting the Star/Approach can be a little confusing so I have LittleNavMap as a backup. I would prefer if when you viewed the Stars/approaches you could view one at a time so the display was a little less cluttered.

I still have EFB from my FSX days but haven't used it for years. There is also SimToolKitPro which is free.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I used to run Navigraph Charts on my iPad but I am now using the In-Game Panel instead. It works just fine and is just a mouse click away in your virtual cockpit

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

Eh..... The complexity was diverting for a while, but now its kind of a chore.

But.... I paid for navigraph as an experiment, and while I have it, I just create my flight plane there and hit the export button to load it into the plane. This even works on the default plane.

Alternately, I create a plan with the sims built-in planner, then open the navigraph panel.

It detects the default flight plan and loads it, and then "smooths" it.

When I export it back into the sim its as smooth and curvy a plan as the Flybywire experimental could do, and it works on all planes, so....

Smooooooth curves on the default A320, and it follows the plan perfectly.

Jmhti0.png

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

39 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

I do the exact same thing and run Navigraph charts on my other PC. Sometimes I find getting the Star/Approach can be a little confusing so I have LittleNavMap as a backup. I would prefer if when you viewed the Stars/approaches you could view one at a time so the display was a little less cluttered.

I still have EFB from my FSX days but haven't used it for years. There is also SimToolKitPro which is free.

I find this confusing sometimes as well. Sometimes I have issues, and other times I don't. I'm sure it has something to do with my workflow or my lack of experience with real-world navigation. I typically fly the FBW A320.

I create the flight in Simbrief and usually use the runways and route selected my Simbrief,

When I import the route into Navigraph charts, it does include the SID and the STAR, but the approach isn't defined. This is where I can run into issues when the STAR doesn't connect to the approach This wasn't a big deal in P3D for me with the NGX, because I could easily select the next waypoint or delete the extraneous waypoints. Not sue if it is Simbrief, the aircraft, or user error, but I find this incredibly frustrating, and I just gave up trying to clean this up in the MCDU on my last flight. 

If anyone know of a video that shows you how to delete waypoints contained in a STAR or Approach, let me know. All of the ones I have found seem to gloss over the specific steps for modify lightplanes imported from Simbrief when things don't import cleanly.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

If you are referring to airport elevation, that information is available in Navigraph charts.

Usually in planning a flight I’ll use FlightAware to find a current airline flight to mimic, then use Simbrief on one screen and Navigraph charts on the other to set up the flight…the charts are just for reference / airport familiarity, I could get by without them largely in the planning of the flight.

Once I’m flying I leave Navigraph Charts on my second screen so I have all of that information at my finger tips.  I used to use my ipad for charts which worked as well but the second screen really is great.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU