Sign in to follow this  
ark

What Airport is This?

Does anyone happen to recognize this airport? I would like to know the name and location if possible. Thanks.

spacer.png

Wild guess, Innsbruck?

Edit: Upon further examination that was a wrong wild guess.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I don’t have the answer, but must say there is incredible detail in that shot. The runway looks short (maybe because of the perspective). Also a displaced threshold at each end because of the trees. First time I’ve seen a displaced threshold at both ends of the runway. Definitely a very cool GA airport!

Edited by Doering

15 minutes ago, Doering said:

I don’t have the answer, but must say there is incredible detail in that shot. The runway looks short (maybe because of the perspective). Also a displaced threshold at each end because of the trees. First time I’ve seen a displaced threshold at both ends of the runway. Definitely a very cool GA airport!

I've read runway center line markings are supposed to be 180ft long, and the gaps between the lines 80ft, so 200ft for a center line+gap. I don't know if that is the case here, but assuming it is, then the runway exclusive of the displaced thresholds is about 2600ft + piano key markings long. So maybe 2800ft or so. With one displaced threshold available at the 'end', the landing distance looks to be over 3000ft.

Sure is a pretty looking airport!

Al

9 minutes ago, ark said:

Sure is a pretty looking airport!

Absolutely!

51 minutes ago, ark said:

Does anyone happen to recognize this airport?

LGSK, Saanen Airport. Locate in the heart of the Swiss Alps.

25 minutes ago, ark said:

I've read runway center line markings are supposed to be 180ft long, and the gaps between the lines 80ft, so 200ft for a center line+gap. I don't know if that is the case here, but assuming it is, then the runway exclusive of the displaced thresholds is about 2600ft + piano key markings long. So maybe 2800ft or so. With one displaced threshold available at the 'end', the landing distance looks to be over 3000ft.

Need to always carry one of these in the cockpit!

https://www.amazon.com/Gogogo-Sport-Rangefinder-Magnification-Correction/dp/B07PV5QRLD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&keywords=Golf+Rangefinders&qid=1640405878&s=golf&sr=1-1-spons&ts_id=3411111&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFCU0EwM1pSNjY5RlMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NTMwODYzNTdXS0dTNzdVM1k3JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MjE4NTMzQjFCQlJRVVVJSjA1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

29 minutes ago, polosim said:

LGSK, Saanen Airport. Locate in the heart of the Swiss Alps.

Thanks! BTW, typo above, the airport code is LSGK.  Here's a shot looking the 'other' way.  Interesting approaches from either direction!

spacer.png

Withdrawn - ark beat me to it.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 minutes ago, ark said:

BTW, typo above, the airport code is LSGK.

1 minute ago, somiller said:

LSGK, not LGSK.

Both of you are correct. Typo error, my mistake. 🤗 

• Like 1

Here's some info on LSGK. Apparently the runway is a lot longer than it looks.

Lat/Long N46-29.2/E007-15.0 

Elevation (ft) 3287 

Fuel Available AVGAS, JET 

Longest Hard Surface Runway (ft)  4593 x 131, 08/26 

Runway Surface Asphalt 

Now the question is, what does LSGK look like in MSFS?   Looks like a good destination for that recently released Kodiak 100 turboprop I've been reading about in threads here.  😉

EDIT:  https://www.gstaad-airport.ch/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/180923_pilots_briefing_v4.pdf

Edited by ark

1 hour ago, ark said:

Thanks! BTW, typo above, the airport code is LSGK.  Here's a shot looking the 'other' way.  Interesting approaches from either direction!

spacer.png

Looks perfect, for say a Kodiak 100....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ark said:

spacer.png

That's just a mirror of the first one...the approach is from the same direction.

• Like 4

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Here‘s a pretty cool video of a test flight on the Pilatus PC-24 over the Swiss Alps. It also shows the approach into Saanen (end of the video). Not the worst job this guy has.

• Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I did a video in P3D from Saanen to Aosta 🙃. Saanen has an Orbx great freeware scenery by Sylvain  Delepierre. The old sim is not bad with some care to the scenery.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam