Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Moving to Arkansas!

Put out enough RF energy when transmitting, you may boil the mash!

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

7 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

From this time on I have been one of the rare French who knows how to pronounce the word  Arkansas !

Arkin'saw!

And extend out the "w" a bit.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Arkensawer

P.S.  Bill, did you know it's illegal to mispronounce Arkansas in Arkansas?

The actual law looks like this:

2019 Arkansas Code :: Title 1 - General Provisions :: Chapter 4 - State Symbols, Motto, Etc. :: § 1-4-105. Pronunciation of State Name

Universal Citation: AR Code § 1-4-105 (2019)

• Whereas, confusion of practice has arisen in the pronunciation of the name of our state and it is deemed important that the true pronunciation should be determined for use in oral official proceedings.
  • And, whereas, the matter has been thoroughly investigated by the Historical Society of the State of Arkansas and the Eclectic Society of Little Rock, which have agreed upon the correct pronunciation as derived from history and the early usage of the American immigrants.
  • Be it therefore resolved by both houses of the General Assembly, that the only true pronunciation of the name of the state, in the opinion of this body, is that received by the French from the native Indians and committed to writing in the French word representing the sound. It should be pronounced in three (3) syllables, with the final “s” silent, the “a” in each syllable with the Italian sound, and the accent on the first and last syllables. The pronunciation with the accent on the second syllable with the sound of “a” in “man” and the sounding of the terminal “s” is an innovation to be discouraged.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

9 hours ago, n4gix said:

No, at least not yet... 😂

My mother’s family made a lot of really good ‘shine over in Polk county back in the 1920’s. Some of the great grandkids are still around (and still producing - pardon the pun). If you have problems with the setup let me know and I’ll see if I can get one of them to help….Doug

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Sooeeeee! Pig! Here comes big Tusk! I don't trust that smile.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Granny's  spirit [Beverly  Hillbillies] will be giving the padre tips  for her famous tonic with the still.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 8:45 AM, Dominique_K said:

From this time on I have been one of the rare French who knows how to pronounce the word  Arkansas

When I lived in Pueblo Colorado the Arkansas River went through town.  The locals pronounced it Ar - Kansas.

Noel 

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

20 hours ago, charliearon said:

Arkensawer

P.S.  Bill, did you know it's illegal to mispronounce Arkansas in Arkansas?

Good grief! 😆 It's good thing I do pronounce it correctly so I won't have to get someone to come bail me out of the hoosegow!!!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Americans have hybrid pronunciations developed over time, yes Kansas and Arkansas don't match also Louisiana and Louisville are correct pronunciation but for some reason people say St Louis as in Saint Loo-is instead of Saint Loo-ee. All three are named after former French Kings but St Louis gets the mid west accent instead, it was originally pronounced Saint Loo-Ee but changed over time and for whatever reasons people still say Loo-ee with Louisiana and Louisville. Their are plenty more of these as well

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

Good luck with the move Bill. Hope all goes as smooth as possible. Yup, I know what 32 years can do for the amount of accumulated stuff. I went 36 years in the same house before moving in 2017! Hope the weather cooperates!

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

Good point Matt.  In the state of West Virginia, there is a county called Kanawha  pronounced can aw. I almost slipped one day by calling it Kanawha around a West Virginian.. Just like the  ship Andrea Doria that sank in 1956.I told one person that the ship was named after a man , not a woman  only to be corrected as a woman. @$*&##++$. Andrea Andreea  is a dual gender name in Italian, and Portuguese. .Andrea is Andrew, pronounced  Ondreaa.

Edited by Paul Deluca
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just don't ever call it Frisco!  San Francisco is my city of birth and where I was raised.  I cringe when I hear it called 'Frisco'.

Noel 

• Like 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

9 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Just don't ever call it Frisco!  San Francisco is my city of birth and where I was raised.  I cringe when I hear it called 'Frisco'.

Noel 

It's "THE CITY"!  😀

images.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

It's "THE CITY"!

Or 'Baghdad by the Bay'.

Noel

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:47 AM, n4gix said:

Arkansas is unique as it is the only state in the U.S. that is mentioned in the Bible...

Admit it, this whole move is just for you to have a legitimate excuse to post that joke.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea