Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Track IR

1 minute ago, CombatCustard said:

I have watched dozens of videos about Horses and their ability to count with their hooves, have yet to see one where they claimed to be able to use Track IR with a flight simulator.... almost as relevant as your comparison I suppose, but more comedic.

Ridiculous comment, not funny, but if that is the best you could come up with......

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

56 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

It ain't broke, so there's nothing to fix. You forgot to mention the Tobii costs 50% more than TrackIR, has a 25% narrower FoV and its 6DOF software is still experimental. And if you want eye tracking you're limited to a 27" screen.

Oh dear, that's not very accurate is it... In the UK Track IR is.... unavailable for purchase apart from knock off versions and it was only £30 more expensive than the other thing you can't buy. Also, Tobii is Swedish so they are much nicer people and they have mighty fine beards to go with their niceness. As for the experimental part, works super well for an experiment and I do not have to wear a funny hat to use it, even though i like funny hats as we all should. Also, Also, I use it on a 34 inch Ultra Wide with nary a hitch so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by CombatCustard
  • Upvote 1

Strange, when there is a thread about Simple Traffic, immediately the AIG folks descend on the thread.. Start one about Track IR, and the Tobii people pop up. Things never change. 😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 3/24/2022 at 1:58 AM, Bobsk8 said:

Strange, when there is a thread about Simple Traffic, immediately the AIG folks descend on the thread.. Start one about Track IR, and the Tobii people pop up. Things never change. 😉

Look on thr bright side, at least no one has mentioned Cymouse!

1 hour ago, AOB said:

Look on thr bright side, at least no one has mentioned Cymouse!

or the fact that if you go for VR you do not need after market head tracking

On 3/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, CombatCustard said:

Also, Also, I use it on a 34 inch Ultra Wide with nary a hitch so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can confirm Tobii works fine on my 49" super ultra wide, too, and plays nicely with glasses when I wear them.

TrackIR's good, too. But I don't miss having to wear a hat when I fancy flying (or driving, or anything else that uses head tracking!).

• Like 1

The only thing that keeps me with TrackIR and prevents me buying Tobii is the somehow high number of users that report recognizing the IR light in longer sessions resulting in tired eyes. I have no idea about whether or not this is really an issue, as it is too expensive for me to just go and buy a Tobii set and see for my own. All I know is that I do not have any issue with the IR from TrackIR...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Like most things when there are options, each option has advantages and disadvantages. When someone is made aware of or is looking for an option they may not be aware of alternatives, so it is good to know what is out there. Celebrate diversity in all aspects of life!

On 3/22/2022 at 5:01 PM, Flic1 said:

I got Track IR several months ago but gave up while trying to set it up.  I really had a difficult time in getting it set properly (user error I am sure) and made myself too dizzy a few times when the view whipped around, went upside down and backwards, etc.  I'd like to get it working so maybe I will try the profile that was posted above.  I think that is what I am missing, a baseline that I could work off of...

Go into the TrackIR software and disable everything except pitch and yaw ( i.e.  un-tick roll, x,y, and z so they are all disabled ). From there, adjust the curves  for pitch and yaw as suits you. I've found by only using these two axis ( and they are the ones that you have on your joystick hatswitch ), TrackIR is much more manageable when starting out. You can add the other movement functions later, but just stick with pitch and yaw to begin with.

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

5 hours ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

TrackIR's good, too. But I don't miss having to wear a hat when I fancy flying (or driving, or anything else that uses head tracking!).

I too enjoy a bit of "fancy flying", mostly it involves wearing a Tuxedo and sipping Peach Schnapps during landings.... 

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

The only thing that keeps me with TrackIR and prevents me buying Tobii is the somehow high number of users that report recognizing the IR light in longer sessions resulting in tired eyes

Does not happen, there is no risk or effect on your eyes from near-infrared light from the emitter, the light from your monitor is more likely a source of "tiredness" or discomfort in your eyes.

6 hours ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Can confirm Tobii works fine on my 49" super ultra wide, too, and plays nicely with glasses when I wear them.

What turns me off from even considering the Tobii is that it's long bar must be mounted under the monitor. With controls and panels mounted in fron of my monitor this would prove impossible. There is a comparison video at

James

1 minute ago, Phantoms said:

What turns me off from even considering the Tobii is that it's long bar must be mounted under the monitor. With controls and panels mounted in fron of my monitor this would prove impossible. There is a comparison video at

I agree, I couldn't use one if it was given to me. My joystick sits right where the Tobii would go. No such problem with Track IR. 

Use Tobii with a steering wheel, doesn't get in the way, and who has a stick in the middle of their desk with the monitor so low down that you are looking down at the screen? Even if I put the stick directly in front of me which i don't because why would you, it would still not obstruct the sensor. In that  scenario your joystick would be in front of your screen. Suggested reading "Ergonomics and the Fallacy of Legacy" by Dr. Rufus Raccoon from the University of Common Sense Thinking In a World Devoid of Rational Thinking. It's only one page long and the only content in it is....  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Also, that video is complete nonsense, it's confirmation bias writ large.

Edited by CombatCustard
for the love of the common man