Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

New TrackIR Alternative for MSFS 2020

Grassmonkeysimulations has just released a new version of his head tracking hardware. Instead of a modified PS3 Eye he now uses a custom built sensor with the following specs:

240Hz sensor means tracking speeds up to 230fps
24ms latency = no lag
1.5m/5ft usb cable is 50% more cable than our previous sensor
60 degree field of view is the widest of any IR sensor available
Glass IR pass filter can see your tracker but not you, for privacy

Here is the website

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com

And here is a recent video showing the setup

Roger is a wonderful person to deal with, I have the original IR Puck with the PS3 Eye and have just ordered the new 240Hz system/Puck kit.

Can't wait to try it out

Thought I would share this for those who want to try head tracking at a very reasonable price compared to say TrackIR

Richard

• Like 2

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Is the Puck compatible with the TrackIR sensor? I assume it is. I already have TrackIR but I hate the wire on the ProClip so it would be great to go wireless. 

12 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Is the Puck compatible with the TrackIR sensor? I assume it is. I already have TrackIR but I hate the wire on the ProClip so it would be great to go wireless. 

I am not a 100% sure,

If you can edit the dimensions where the IR's are I would think so but I could be wrong. Maybe drop Roger an email and ask him.

The puck's are solidly made and would be incredibly difficult to break.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I have the original Puck, too. While I mostly fly under VR there are times where I just prefer the vivid and lively colors and minuscule detail on my screen.

I had been experimenting with pseudo-solutions based on visible light and a webcam or mobile phone. Some of them worked - sort of -, but I found none was really fluid in following the motion and some where not doing their job at all. The Puck does it and I'm really content with it.

Only downside are the shipping and customs cost and time span to get the thingy to Germany. To my knowledge there are no resellers so far.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

6 minutes ago, pmb said:

Only downside are the shipping and customs cost and time span to get the thingy to Germany. To my knowledge there are no resellers so far.

Kind regards, Michael

Bought my Puck and camera in December last year and shipped to Denmark. Did not find any re-sellers nearby then, so got it all the way from Roger himself. Still cheaper than many of the alternatives out there... and wireless! 😉

This Puck looks like a good investment for the desktop gamer. Thanks for posting.

Edited by AOB

Am I correct that Grasshopper is like Smoothtrack (i.e. you have nothing on your head related to it) and instead it is a sensor that attaches to your screen, or is placed somewhere other than your head?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5 minutes ago, Mace said:

Am I correct that Grasshopper is like Smoothtrack (i.e. you have nothing on your head related to it) and instead it is a sensor that attaches to your screen, or is placed somewhere other than your head?

No, there is the Puck which you have to attach either to a headband provided or to your headphones (that's what I do). But the Puck is cable-free.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

If one all ready uses trackIR, what advanced does this have over it and good reasons to switch? (Apart from wireless) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

If one all ready uses trackIR, what advanced does this have over it and good reasons to switch? (Apart from wireless) 

You get to spend some money..

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Just Velcro one of these to your headset and no more hanging wires. It holds 1 1860.

51978201469_d7dfc4f842_b.jpg

Edited by remilton

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

16 minutes ago, remilton said:

Just Velcro one of these to your headset and no more hanging wires. It holds 1 1860.

51978201469_d7dfc4f842_b.jpg

Or use the Track Clip that comes with every track IR, it weighs nothing, and it works great, and no wires. https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/accessories/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I believe the new sensor will track way faster and more accurately than TrackIR although I haven't used it so I could be completely wrong. One of the complaints I hear most about TrackIR other than the price is how fragile the hardware you mount on your headset is. These pucks are really solidly made by 3d printing and should last way longer.

If you have TrackIR and look after it there may not be a reason to purchase this.

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

19 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

I believe the new sensor will track way faster and more accurately than TrackIR although I haven't used it so I could be completely wrong. One of the complaints I hear most about TrackIR other than the price is how fragile the hardware you mount on your headset is. These pucks are really solidly made by 3d printing and should last way longer.

If you have TrackIR and look after it there may not be a reason to purchase this.

I use the Track IR Track Clip. You could drop it from a 3 story building, and it wouldn't hurt it at all. My last Track IR lasted around 13 years, and started having trouble with the USB part of it, and replaced it this year. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Or use the Track Clip that comes with every track IR, it weighs nothing, and it works great, and no wires. https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/accessories/

Been there, done that.  This is my current config.

51978725039_9f40e51307_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)