Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Brilliant MSFS performance

All of these tests seems kinda irrelevant until somebody mentions the resolutions used….. 💁‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

All of these tests seems kinda irrelevant until somebody mentions the resolutions used….. 💁‍♂️

I do believe I have stated many times that I am running 2560x1440

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Resolution is irrelevant to CPU performance. Look at differential. 

• Upvote 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, dongdongliushui said:

what’s the bottleneck of VR, CPU or GPU?

spacer.png

clearly GPU bound, you can never have too much GPU power if 4K or VR.

46% - 50 % GPU load, even with an RTX 3090

20% - 25% CPU load (Core i9 9900K, 4.8 GHz)

VR, HP Reverb G2

aircraft on the ground

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

10 minutes ago, turbomax said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

clearly GPU bound, you can never have too much GPU power if 4K or VR.

20% - 25% CPU load (Core i9 9900K, 4.8 GHz)

VR, HP Reverb G2

aircraft on the ground

Thank you. I was thinking the same.

5 hours ago, turbomax said:

In VR my GPU is 99% on the Varro Aero and I max out at 35 FPS usually with some help from open XR toolkit. 

yes, same here, it depends where you are, what airplane, weather and many other factors. this was just a quick example of the much higher GPU vs. CPU load which I think is generally true if running at 4K or in VR, GPU load will almost always be higher than CPU.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

My system is CPU bound
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GTX 1080Ti
HP Reverb G2

Should I update CPU to 5800X3D or is it overkill with my GPU?

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

GPU load will almost always be higher than CPU.

Not necessarily true in 4K, sometimes you become cpu limited on the ground and even in air at photogrammetry cities. I run a 3090 at 4K and I am sometimes cpu limited, hence why I watched this thread. To see if this cpu made any difference in this scenario. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve also just read an answer over at msfs that is what I suspected was happening, regarding this cpu and the game:-

MS store version here. There’s not much in the way of steps to reproduce. Texture quality to High or Ultra, spawn in to an area with photogrammetry, and watch MainThread be your near-perpetual performance limitation for the flight. MainThread is the performance limit on my Ryzen 5800x system running 4k 100% resolution scale on an RX 6900 XT. I should by all counts be GPU limited pretty much constantly, but only find myself GPU limited at cruise altitude sometimes.

Then we compare modern 8c/16t AMD and Intel CPU’s to the Ryzen 5800x3d. I wouldn’t say that the CPU is that much better than the existing CPU’s, but it is wildto see that the giant cache alleviates the MainThread bottleneck as well as it does.

That speaks more of what and how the game is currently asking of DirectX 11 and it’s inherent limitations.

I think my experiment with the 5800x3d is over. I did not see any measurable gains over my 5800x and to get back to same performance the 5800x3d has to be run at speeds and voltage that are taxing my Corsair AIO cooler. I could keep it but that would cause a 200.00 or so cost after selling the older cpu. Or I can sell the newer chip and probably make 100.00 to 200.00 due to the scarcity of the chips ATM. I had high hopes when I ordered the chip but I just don't see me keeping it.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

5 hours ago, Mikeingreen said:

I think my experiment with the 5800x3d is over. I did not see any measurable gains over my 5800x and to get back to same performance the 5800x3d has to be run at speeds and voltage that are taxing my Corsair AIO cooler. I could keep it but that would cause a 200.00 or so cost after selling the older cpu. Or I can sell the newer chip and probably make 100.00 to 200.00 due to the scarcity of the chips ATM. I had high hopes when I ordered the chip but I just don't see me keeping it.

That's just too bad .. But based on Travelrunners results im heading in the other direction. I will be picking this chip up eventually. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

MSFS Specific comparison between the 12900K and 5800X3D - about 10 FPS gain at 4K Ultra settings:

MSFS VR Review. Big performance gain with complex scenery versus the 5800X, especially on the ground where CPU gets hit the hardest:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Avantime said:

Big performance gain with complex scenery versus the 5800X, especially on the ground where CPU gets hit the hardest:

sometimes GPU frame times difference was a "whopping" 2 milliseconds better for the 5800x3D, which is only 0.2% and not noticeable at all, other times frame times were considerably lower = better for the 5800x3D. average fps were pretty much the same for both, with frame times (for smoother experience) often but not always better for the 5800x3D. the fps would be pretty much constant at 42 fps for the 5800x3D. I noticed much higher (60 vs 15, factor 4) dropped frames in the 5800x3D video. he did not explain what those "dropped frames" mean but there were consistently more in the 5800x3D example. 

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax

very nice.