Sign in to follow this  
bendead

[19APR22] PMDG 737 Development Update: Let's talk about Earl

With regards to the WASM vs the FBW approach, could it be that WASM is needed for Xbox compatibility? 

The FBW team have made it clear they're only interested in maximum realism and not Xbox or marketplace sales so it might be the reason why they are innovating the way they are... 

If that is the case then teams that will be focused on PC will have the advantage, like Fenix or the Maddog... 

Edited by Makinen11
  • Upvote 1

My impression when watching top-notch streamers (like Blackbox777 and flightdeck2sim) is they try the route (aircraft and both airports) before streaming live. This has obvious benefits to avoid such things as Fabio (who, I'll be right up front here, I don't care for) did have happen. 

He could have tried things out before live-streaming, is all I'm saying.

• Like 3

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

My impression when watching top-notch streamers (like Blackbox777 and flightdeck2sim) is they try the route (aircraft and both airports) before streaming live. This has obvious benefits to avoid such things as Fabio (who, I'll be right up front here, I don't care for) did have happen. 

He could have tried things out before live-streaming, is all I'm saying.

Hhallelujah, someone is on board with me!

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

5 hours ago, anden145 said:

That is just BY FAR the most negative, dark and pessimistic way of seeing it!! Not hating? Really? Well, it really sounds like, this plane won't be for you on release, then... *SIGH*

It's ludicrious to even entertain the image of PMDG trying to 'trick' someone into getting their addon or comparing this to "Kickstarter" or "Crowdfunding" or similar ventures. The plane is feature finished, with regards to what they intended. They are then - out of courtesy to their customers - adding new features to it along the development and maintenance cycle.

But by all means, since you're clearly so sceptical and know better, just wait to get it until you believe it's finished. Just please contain the negativity to actual facts - and not what you think is facts.

Good luck. 

Where do you see me saying that everything I say is fact? I am simply of the opinion that the early adopter spin that RSR is trying to put on it is not a valid distinction from early access, and I explained why that is my opinion. My only 'hating' on PDMG is on this marketing spin.

But I am sure they also never tried to 'trick' some people into buying the NGXu by offering a discount on an at that time non-existent product. People who would probably otherwise had just continued to fly their NGX instead of shelling out again for the same plane. It is all marketing and I am not a fan of theirs. 

Their products? Very, very nice. My personal favorite is the JS41. But I will definitely wait out those 24 weeks and see if they follow through on what they are promising here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When do guys think it will be available for release? I'm hoping very soon!

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

46 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

With regards to the WASM vs the FBW approach, could it be that WASM is needed for Xbox compatibility? 

The FBW team have made it clear they're only interested in maximum realism and not Xbox or marketplace sales so it might be the reason why they are innovating the way they are... 

If that is the case then teams that will be focused on PC will have the advantage, like Fenix or the Maddog... 

My understanding is, the FBW left the XBox marketplace because they want to use external module, like the way the Fenix team is using ProSim for their Fenix A320.  From my understanding, the XBox is sandboxed and the sandbox doesn't allow the an external module like ProSim to be run on XBox.  The FBW team wants to advance their A320 more so they decided to leave XBox because of the sandbox constraints of XBox.  Some of the FBW folks post here so maybe one of them can clarify this (or correct what I wrote) better than I can.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

46 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

No. Presently the HTML/Javascript/Typescript stack used by FBW is more compatible with XBox, not less. Right now, C++/WASM is not running on XBox due to some XBox platform concerns that are being handled upstream of the MSFS team by the XBox platform team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, captain420 said:

When do guys think it will be available for release? I'm hoping very soon!

I'm guessing around the 1st. SU9 is supposed to come out on the 26th, I think. That'll give them enough time to verify that the plane works with the live update.

• Like 1

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

2 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

The FBW team wants to advance their A320 more so they decided to leave XBox because of the sandbox constraints of XBox.

Holland or other folks can clarify, but I recall it was for two reasons: they wanted to move back to an open source license that was incompatible with a commercial marketplace (even if the download was free), and they didn't want to have to be as beholden to the release cycle of the platform because, being an open source project, resources are not always predictable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skully said:

This photo is just from taxiing by the control tower and shows the graphics anomalies that were seen in the video.

That will happen everywhere in MSFS depending on what Anti-Aliasing mode you're using.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just to add: very happy PMDG customer here.  MD-11, NGX for FSX.  Amazing birds, with top-notch support (to the point that one of their support guys offered to remote onto my PC to help me deal with some issues - solved, in the end, by a re-install).

Never regretted a penny I put into the NGs and whilst I skipped the P3D version, I will be buying this for MSFS with no hesitation.  These things just work.

Anyway.  Enough positivity for tonight ;)

• Like 5

Paul Skol

I am sure it will eventually be among the top birds for MSFS, regardless of a/c type. The question is how long it will take to get there post-release. 

2 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

I'll just tackle those two points:

There is no way possible to implement WX radar right now, that's not about innovating. There is just no technical way to read the weather data from the sim, and how are you going to show precipation when you have no idea where the clouds are? This one is not on PMDG; even Leonardo will not give you WX radar. Why are you blaming PMDG for it?

As for the Simbrief in FBW - another technical issue. There is no way to communicate with the internet right now for any WASM-coded stuff in MSFS - and every payware airliner (yes, also the Maddog, again) is coded in WASM (probably for a reason). The FBW is based on the default A320 and is not coded in WASM, so that's why they are able to do it (and yes, they are doing great).
Anyway it's just a couple more clicks to download the .rte file in the 737, so it's not like it has absolutely no Simbrief integration.

There is a lot you can criticise PMDG for (e.g. why they didn't give Simbrief or GSX integration on the P3D version), but I don't understand how you can blame them for stuff that your favourite dev also can't do right now... I'd rather be angry about Asobo not having given access to weather data in a sim that's almost two years old now.

I've already pointed out that you're trying to teach me things that are literally in the first post of this thread. I hope you can understand that I read RSR's post thoroughly, both the reproduction here and the original on the PMDG forums? You'll also remember that I said I've read literally every MSFS announcement over on the PMDG forums, so I obviously wasn't expecting weather radar and I know why PMDG have not implemented simbrief integration (again, if you haven't read the first post in this thread yourself, go back and read it!)

I'll try and make my point clearer - I'm questioning PMDGs broader ability to innovate and achieve promised goals, based on their performance in the past 5-10 years developing for other platforms. My reference to "other platform" weather radar was to point out that they were slow to implement this much-wanted feature, even when other devs had done so. There were specific reasons why they chose to drag their heels, but the broad point is that they no longer seem particularly agile as a company and don't seem quick to adopt new ideas.

I expect their MSFS 737 will be a decent port of the NGXu and I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun flying it. It's just that after 2 years of waiting, I'm sure I'm not the only one who was waiting to be wowed by something new and innovative.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."