Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

I am really getting tired of all these updates

3 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Not to belabor the point, but here again I will bet that MSFS will fixes the water-realism issue (recall that it wasn't that long ago that wakes and waves appeared in MSFS). Aside from these relatively minor issues, the overriding reality is that MSFS is the future. This is becoming clearer all the time.

Overall, I align with your comment...

20 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Thanks, Ray. Of course, to get to FL 350 you still start at ground level. But the question is, where do we go from here? What is more likely: that P3D / FSX/ X-Plane will ever match MSFS for VFR flying, or that MSFS will improve for high-altitude flying? I put my money on the latter.

The first (and last) few thousand feet in a 737 are labour intensive. Not a lot of time for admiring the view. :wink: And landing at the default Manchester in MSFS looked worse than that by UK2000 in P3D. So addon airports are still required.

There are still red lines for me regarding MSFS. I won't bore you with them. With FS Labs releasing Concorde to beta testing in the next 5-7 weeks that makes keeping P3Dv5 mandatory for me. The DCD Concorde for MSFS lacks features that are important to me.

And having flown in MSFS on Saturday I was quite happy to fly P3D on Sunday. It's not a binary choice for me. In time I could have both and use them as described earlier. Who knows what LM have planned for v6.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

What does MSFS need to improve at FL350?

Are we enjoying the same sim here?

The atmospheric visuals in MSFS are absolutely gorgeous and unmatched even at FL350 especially after SU9.

The cloud, haze, fog, shadow cast on terrain looks even more realistic with 3D depth. 

It makes the prior sim platforms look completely bland and unrealistic in comparison.

All that is very subjective and didn't appeal to me. Much like EA=On in P3Dv5 doesn't appeal. The blue colour cast on the ground looks too false. Similar to when you took film photos years ago and even with a UV filter the colour cast was still there.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

On my ancient system...a modest system by all standards, now...with P3D 5.x...I get no further 'blur' or even terrain graphics 'tightening up' along my flight path. It is the same performance as MSFS is right now...but that only came with P3D 5 (latest incarnation).

Had v5 on my system for about a month.  It was nice to finally have performance so that I could turn all sliders to the right for once.  And then I realized that used up all my vram and crashed the sim, even tho performance was fine.  No thanks.  And then the sheer hell of getting all of my addons to install and play nice with the new v5 changes, and each other… wasn’t worth it any more.  And msfs is better in most ways, including now at FL410.  No regrets, no looking back.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Having said that though...nothing yet, (again, my subjective opinion in play...) beats P3D 5.(x)'s water depiction on 'high' or 'ultra' can't remember right now, how the highest is stated...   Put wind to that P3D water surface...and not ONLY does it looks good, but your plane (floats) or boats react to those waves...and (yes...) I have plowed a number of times, in the past,  burying the pontoons that flipped me over when on 'high/ultra' on a day with winds above 15 knots.   MSFS's water interaction is completely non-existent at this posting...  Non existent.

This is MSFS water in 7 knots winds.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxHnuaTOstc5v4pEkxWIbXsv8qFnBrlgoH

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 5/21/2022 at 11:59 PM, Noel said:

What do you call it when....

• I create a flight plan in the World Map.  I am able to zoom in to a high detail view of any airport I'm in to decide which gate I wish to be at.
  • I launch the flight.   I'm at the gate and some of the most plausibly animated ground crew is milling about.   It's a great start and it will interesting to see what FSDT does w/ GSX for MSFS.  FSCaptain is launching its very beta into MSFS just in the last few days. 
  • In the CRJ700 (and any others so endowed) I do a cold and dark start up, input my flight plan into its FMC, waypoint by waypoint using the NavLog which I enjoy doing, though could use SimBrief.  Turns out this uses the right amount of time to match boarding time brokeredd by 'PACX'.   I open its various doors via its EFB.   I request connection to the jetway, summon baggage and cabin service.  I disconnect from ground power after starting the APU.   BTW, we're at CYYZ now getting ready to fly to KIAH--using a RW route displayed by A Pilot's Life v2's scheduling feature.  It's raining pretty hard outside and looks incredibly plausible and real.  This isn't real rain, it's simulated, as is the weather, winds, planes, etc etc...
  • I request pushback, and back we go.
  • We taxi, in sync with Real Time Online Traffic.  This area continues to improve in terms of coordinating and syncing real traffic w/ user traffic.  All directed by ATC which keeps track of other taxiing aircraft etc.  No other built-in ATC does this that I'm aware of.  It needs tuned significantly but is already showing things that were never the case in P3D/FSX and this is not a simple task.
  • I'm requested to Line up and Wait, and do so.  I'm cleared for TO.
  • All elements of the climb match anything ever done in any plane used in P3D including Maj Q400 and PMDG birds.
  • The descent and approach are exactly as they would have been in the other sims.
  • The flight model has fans and detractors--and many of its fans are RW pilots I gather from reading comments from same.  

All of MSFS is a simulation except arguably for the scenery which is the most realistic by far of any simulation.  

As should be apparent by now I'm a happy camper because already, despite its current shortcomings, I do everything I ever did in that serious, not-for-entertainment professional grade waste of $200 called Prepar3D, v4.x.  It's done w/ maximum graphic detail, and as smooth as a baby's behind, w/ nary a stutter.

We're different and have different needs obviously.  I'm curious--what specifically is leaving you less than satisfied that you make the comment, "the sim hasn't many 'simulation' features"?  What is it you wish MSFS did TODAY, that you're missing?

I don't want a siumlator, in which I can do - simplified said - only a flight under "normal" conditions, like from A to B by typing waypoints into the FMC (or for VFR flights along VFR relevant points), starting and landing and over, but also "pushing it to the limits" - like in a level D simulator, with simulation of (lots of) failures, e.g. malfunction of the VOR receiver or transmitter, defective GPS, damaged rudder, aileron, elevator (like here), loss of control in icing conditions due to iced wings, damaged flaps at overspeed, ...
As I wrote earlier about the comprehensive X-Plane failure system: after I had a closer look myself, now I even understand, why it is FAA certified. You can train things like water in fuel, smoke in cockpit, failure of fuel tank vent block, rudder, aileron, elevator trim, flaps damaged, de-ice pitot heat 1 and 2, de-ice wing heat left/right, brakes, gears, nav, strobe, beacon lights, VOR, ADF 1 and 2, GPS 1 and 2, oil pump 1 and 2, ... it might be around 400. And you can set them to fail at exact altitude, at exact speed, at exact time until failure, at main time until failure, fail at keystroke, failed or always working. Impressive!

On 5/22/2022 at 1:42 AM, cobalt said:

Selectively quoting other threads and posts doesn't add credibility to your statements.

He wrote it exactly this way (balsa gliders).

On 5/22/2022 at 1:42 AM, cobalt said:

And what exactly is a "gatekeeper"?  Would that be someone who happens to disagree with you?

I could have named them also as claqueurs.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:22 AM, The Moose said:

Approx. 3 million CD Roms for the 2 Petabytes of cloud stored data.   Might take a while to install...

Let alone punch tape (with 5 bits per row). That would give a length of 788 million kilometers. With the tapes width of 17.4 mm (6.9 inches), we get a surface of 13,800 square kilometers (5,390 square miles). It's like the Bahamas (incl. water). Before calculating, I had expected to be more ...

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I agree now, that my current MSFS 'world' is as far as I am concerned...truly,  'as real as it gets'...especially flying over my 'business routes'.   Having said that though...nothing yet, (again, my subjective opinion in play...) beats P3D 5.(x)'s water depiction on 'high' or 'ultra' can't remember right now, how the highest is stated...   Put wind to that P3D water surface...and not ONLY does it looks good, but your plane (floats) or boats react to those waves...and (yes...) I have plowed a number of times, in the past,  burying the pontoons that flipped me over when on 'high/ultra' on a day with winds above 15 knots.   MSFS's water interaction is completely non-existent at this posting...  Non existent.  So....there are certainly elements of both P3D and XP11, and even more the anticipated XP12...that (in my view) one should have all three of the Flight Sim Trifecta...as it most certainly is on my system.  I use all three, in cycles...depending a lot on the thrust of the intended flight...  Again,  nothing touches P3D for water operations, ..that makes you feel you are ON the water...and can be KILLED if you bork the landing....wave/wind/ combo's upon attempted touch down.

Is this P3D v5.3 water: 

To me, the look of MSFS water is still much better than P3D.  The reflections of the clouds off the water in this P3D video look off.  And the lighting on the water also is not good.  I can't say the water for P3D is bad in this video - the water is okay, and of course it's much better than the water of previous flight simulators.  But it's not up to the standard of MSFS water.  If you mean that the planes behave better on P3D water, then perhaps you have a point. But excluding the behavior of the planes on P3D water, if we focus on the actual graphics/looks of the water, MSFS water is better, IMO.

But I guess everyone has their opinion.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

This video of a P3D water scene is worth 10,000 words (or more). The deficiencies (clouds and sun moving with the plane, among other things) are plain to see. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cobalt said:

This video of a P3D water scene is worth 10,000 words (or more). The deficiencies (clouds and sun moving with the plane, among other things) are plain to see. Thanks for sharing this.

Well, if @Sesquashtoo has a better P3D v 5.3 video to show, I hope he can link it.  I just searched on Youtube for a P3D water video, I think I typed the search term "p3d v5 water" in Youtube and this was one of the top videos that was listed.

I don't want to misrepresent P3D v 5.3 either so if P3D water does look better than that, maybe @Sesquashtoo can link the video. Yes, I agree with you, the reflection of the clouds on the water bother me the most in that video.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Yes, MSFS water looks very good.  There are a lot of boat mods for MSFS because a lot of people just enjoy boating in MSFS, mostly because the water looks very good in MSFS.

Now how boats/planes behave on the water in MSFS may be a different story.  But at least for the graphics/looks of the water (not how boats/planes behave on the water), MSFS is still the best simulator for the graphics/looks of the water. But this is just my opinion.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yes, MSFS water looks very good.  There are a lot of boat mods for MSFS because a lot of people just enjoy boating in MSFS, mostly because the water looks very good in MSFS.

Now how boats/planes behave on the water in MSFS may be a different story.  But at least for the graphics/looks of the water (not how boats/planes behave on the water), MSFS is still the best simulator for the graphics/looks of the water. But this is just my opinion.

For a 2 year release MSFS is an extremely versatile piece of tech with land sea and air. I’m amazed by something everytime I fire it up.

Heres one more..

Some deep gorge creek scenery work a dev came up with, can you imagine the terrain and landscapes when we start getting proper river ravine elevation added?😍

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxLJk78MpyQpZyuPkvXLheh-mKrK3Q4y6B

• Like 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Comparing MSFS 2020 to P3D is like comparing a DaVinci to a Bob Ross painting.😏

• Like 2

Considering the praise he gave it, I gotta say that P3D water looks......yikes!

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.