Sign in to follow this  

I think P3D can look somewhat similar in carefully framed stills in certain weather/lighting conditions (ie. on the tarmac, middle of a sunny cloudless day at a payware airport etc.), but it's in motion that the age and limitations of the engine become very obvious very quickly no matter how much payware you throw at it.

And that's not meant to be an insult in the slightest - P3D is old, and new version numbers don't change that it's built on the foundation of an old engine, or that the software itself is fundamentally not focused on consumers.  It's amazing that add-on makers have managed to push it as far as they have, and that's awesome.  I respect it's place in the annals of the hobby.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, abrams_tank said:

...2 people working on a software project does not necessarily mean double the speed of 1 person working on it).

A truism in software dev and a lesson proven time and again from after reading this book 25 years or so ago:

Mythical Man-Month, The: Essays on Software Engineering, Anniversary Edition: Brooks Jr., Frederick: 8580001065793: Books (amazon.com)

• Like 1

Win 11 Pro, MSFS Deluxe, Quest 2.

12 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

I think P3D can look somewhat similar in carefully framed stills in certain weather/lighting conditions (ie. on the tarmac, middle of a sunny cloudless day at a payware airport etc.), but it's in motion that the age and limitations of the engine become very obvious very quickly no matter how much payware you throw at it.

Yup.  If you cherry pick the right angle for a daytime photo, you can make P3D look somewhat okay.  But for a a live video or live stream, where you rotate the camera around the aircraft, that the lighting becomes very obvious and IMO, it's much worse than MSFS.   

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

43 minutes ago, pommy80 said:

You can achieve that exact lighting / shaders in P3D as you can MSFS FYI... well at least on my system.

Both sims have their negatives. Both sims have their positives. This constant "my sim is better than yours" is pathetic now.

You can achieve this spending quite amount of time tweaking Envshade/RDShade/Reshade and/or volumetric clouds config, AS settings, etc. MSFS provides that out of the box - obvious winner here. Let's compare Vanilla P3D with Vannila MSFS then, it will be right comparison.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, pommy80 said:

You can achieve that exact lighting / shaders in P3D as you can MSFS FYI... well at least on my system.

Both sims have their negatives. Both sims have their positives. This constant "my sim is better than yours" is pathetic now.

The problem with those that feel threatened by MSFS is that they can't bring themselve to give MSFS any credit. Those who are able to see that all the major Sims have their respective strong points enjoy all 3 of the major Sims without going on various forums and pulling apart various aspects of the competition. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

FSLabs simulation is very faithful and good as we all know but also very inefficient and demanding, resulting in unneccessarily high hardware requirements. They would have to improve performance of their products significantly to stand a chance against the competition and it will be interesting to see whether they can do that.

Wow...a bit surprised about Rob's rampage....How about we show all the beautiful parts of MSFS? It's always easy to point out the bad.....no sim is perfect today. While MSFS is a work in progress, I believe that it IS the best sim out there today. Wait a bit more and P3D user will be running to MSFS. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

He must have had a conversation with MS/Asobo and was not happy with the outcome. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

4 hours ago, Scottoest said:

On a related note, I'll never get tired of a small subset of old guys who have never used MSFS for so much as 30 seconds pontificating confidently about what it does or doesn't do well.

A curious phenomenon especially around these parts, old and young alike actually.

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

Wow...a bit surprised about Rob's rampage....How about we show all the beautiful parts of MSFS? It's always easy to point out the bad.....no sim is perfect today. While MSFS is a work in progress, I believe that it IS the best sim out there today. Wait a bit more and P3D user will be running to MSFS. 

That's what blows my mind about his comments. It seems so basic and obvious that MSFS, visually, is leaps and bounds better than P3D. Barring something drastic from Lockheed Martin regarding P3D, MSFS is also the future of simming. To say otherwise takes one's credibility away. He's gone off the rails, in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bigt said:

That's what blows my mind about his comments. It seems so basic and obvious that MSFS, visually, is leaps and bounds better than P3D. Barring something drastic from Lockheed Martin regarding P3D, MSFS is also the future of simming. To say otherwise takes one's credibility away. He's gone off the rails, in my opinion.

I agree 1000%....

• Like 1

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

A former CEO of the Bank I worked for in the Netherlands told us:

"It's not a good idea to make marketing for our product at the cost of another product"! 

And I find that a good point. You need to have a vision, mission and USP.....enough strong points interested people a searching for and then you will sell.

Exactly what MS did with MSFS. 

They learned about our complains at existing Sims and did something with it. 

And no need to say anything about comparing them. Two different pieces software with two different lists of weaknesses and strengths

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

And now something related to the title .

I like it when Fslabs are coming with products to Msfs. It expands my possibilities and gives me more choices. Also it's good to have competition for the products to mature and growth (updates or price politics). And of course Fslabs has higher prices at P3D. Because the lack of a real comparable on par product at that platform or simply because there where people who buy this  

What happens at MSFS? I do not know. We have to wait and see what they will deliver and still this may influence the price or even not. 

Will see. But getting an offer from them is never a bad thing. They do not force us to buy. They offer a product. 

That's a good idea I think. 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

On 5/15/2022 at 1:27 PM, lwt1971 said:

And on a related note, I was browsing the FSL forums and came across this amusing thread https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/31978-excellent-news-about-a320neo-and-concorde-for-p3d-first-thank-you/ , a certain someone along with some other acolytes of a certain sim still trying very hard to bash MSFS and failing in embarrassing fashion per usual, similar to what we see in some other parts of avsim 🙂

Oof. I found that quite cringeworthy to read.

The utter delusion is incredible. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rocketlaunch said:

The bashing of Fenix has already begun.

Really? Are they really actively bashing the Fenix team and product?? Wow! 

Distasteful.

• Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471