Sign in to follow this  
Steve Halpern

FSHud - Air Traffic Control MSFS Beta

From my point of view, it has two significant drawbacks at this point, namely:

1) 15 planes at Boston is WAY too little. I wonder if the undertaking of monitoring all AI as well as the user is not too much  in terms of cpu cycles required to control a larger number of planes.

2) At this point in time, ATC is pretty much canned, in that its user defined from start to finish. Basically, YOU are telling ATC how to control YOUR own aircraft. I reckon a mandatory ability of any decent ATC program is  to be to determine dep/arr runways as well as an appropriate procedure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

From my point of view, it has two significant drawbacks at this point, namely:

1) 15 planes at Boston is WAY too little. I wonder if the undertaking of monitoring all AI as well as the user is not too much  in terms of cpu cycles required to control a larger number of planes.

You can set the number of planes on the ground as high as you like, and yes, as with any atc program the more planes it injects and has to control the more taxing on your system it will be.

Mark

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

1 minute ago, Gate99 said:

You can set the number of planes on the ground as high as you like

Are you sure?

If I'm not mistaken the program seems to have a limit on the number of planes it can spawn.

4 hours ago, JasonPC said:

I think you can do this but the problem is that all the traffic that the ATC is managing will be using the wrong runways. I agree this program just isn’t ready. You can complain about an immature SDK but if your program can’t do what it’s meant to do then it just needs to either wait for that SDK or find a proper workaround.

Why shouldn't the AI injected by ATC not use the same runway that I selected? I don't understand that argument. I don't mean to select a last minute runway. It could be selected far ahead. I know better what the weather in MY simulation on MY computer is like than an ATC with no access to the program.

In fact, I got tired of asking that same question to the Traffic Global developers. They just won't listen.

Edited by flyingpauls

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

11 hours ago, flyingpauls said:

Why shouldn't the AI injected by ATC not use the same runway that I selected? I don't understand that argument. I don't mean to select a last minute runway. It could be selected far ahead. I know better what the weather in MY simulation on MY computer is like than an ATC with no access to the program.

In fact, I got tired of asking that same question to the Traffic Global developers. They just won't listen.

Well, one would hope that the AI is using the correct runway given at least local wind, if not local airport procedures or restrictions. If the wind is 270/20 and you elect to land on runway 09 as opposed to 27 then you're doing it wrong. Given FSHud claims to be able to control AI, surely it must also read the wind and assign correct runways based on that wind...which it in turn should assign to you. 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

1 hour ago, KL Oo said:

surely it must also read the wind

That's what you expect but FSHud doesn't do this. It doesn't read the wind as it is in the sim. Afaik it does read METARs (or some online weather source) since an update a while ago but that still might be different weather (and hence wind) from what you have in the same. Things won't be working properly until the MSFS SDK gives access to the MSFS weather data and as it is now, so I am told, this isn't the case yet.

The problem here also is that YOU have to tell FSHud which runways (and procedures) to use (before you start the flight). So if Simbrief assigns runway 09 and you load that into FSHud but the FSHud weather data thinks it should be 27 than you will get into problems. I suppose it should somehow be possible to figure out which runway FSHud is using (listen to FSHud ATIS) and then you'd have to change the Simbriefplan accordingly. Afaik you can ALWAYS change the assigned runways and procedures in FSHud before you accept them.

Edited by tup61

15 hours ago, Gate99 said:

FSHud also gets weather through an online source which should help with runway assignments.

Just so I'm clear -- you now no longer need to install P3D and ActiveSky in order to get weather that isn't CAVOK?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

30 minutes ago, JDWalley said:

Just so I'm clear -- you now no longer need to install P3D and ActiveSky in order to get weather that isn't CAVOK?

This is what I read on their forum. It was just added recently.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

For the time being, I decided not to use FSHud and to go back to the good 'old' PF3.The idea behind FSHud is to control every aspect of traffic, but in my opinion this over-ambitious attempt - at least at the moment - renders the software practically unusable: A.I. aircrafts moving in one-second bursts, sometimes failure to recognise when the holding point has been reached (without being able to 'force' the clearence request), loss (forever...) of connection with the ATC if for example you leave the runway from the 'wrong' taxiway, etc. etc. In my opinion, FSHud has tried to focus too much on total traffic management, and in doing so has left out a fundamental aspect: those who use the flight simulator are primarily interested in the correct interaction between their aircraft and ATC. A 'global' A.I. traffic management may be an interesting addition, but not at the expense of the main functionalities that the software must provide.

Edited by igorbischi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Igor Bischi

The latest FSHUD update -

1.1.49 - June 24, 2022 New – Added direct synchronization with weather server (can now access weather from within the application for more accurate runway and procedure assignments). Improved - Overall application performance (including startup and during flight.

• Upvote 1

Bill  N7IBG     

8 hours ago, tup61 said:

That's what you expect but FSHud doesn't do this. It doesn't read the wind as it is in the sim. Afaik it does read METARs (or some online weather source) since an update a while ago but that still might be different weather (and hence wind) from what you have in the same. Things won't be working properly until the MSFS SDK gives access to the MSFS weather data and as it is now, so I am told, this isn't the case yet.

The problem here also is that YOU have to tell FSHud which runways (and procedures) to use (before you start the flight). So if Simbrief assigns runway 09 and you load that into FSHud but the FSHud weather data thinks it should be 27 than you will get into problems. I suppose it should somehow be possible to figure out which runway FSHud is using (listen to FSHud ATIS) and then you'd have to change the Simbriefplan accordingly. Afaik you can ALWAYS change the assigned runways and procedures in FSHud before you accept them.

Curious are you running the latest update according FSHUD it should be fixed see above... on the fence for this one but still holding off.

Edited by awf
  • Like 1

André

3 minutes ago, awf said:

Curious are you running the latest update according FSHUD it should be fixed see above... on the fence for this one but still holding off.

No, I am also still on the fence. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tup61 said:

No, I am also still on the fence. 😉

Appreciated the feedback now maybe going to try it out.

André

I Bought pilot2ATC, DL windows voicers, just did first flight, Very good, nothing like default. Its was great. Easy to use once you do a bit of homework, never looked at the manual 😜

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip