Sign in to follow this  
DAD

WU IX - Italy/Malta due today 17MAY22

I do wish they would space out these World Updates somewhat so they can be more polished. Too many issues with nearly each one of them due to time constraints:

• The rush to get London working (and it ended up looking horrible).
  • Missing water masks (Baie de Somme, Lucerne) that had to be hotfixed in.
  • Terrible-looking Svalbard, rendering its hand-crafted airport useless.
  • Too many trees in Iceland all-around.
  • Many uncorrected cloud artifacts over Germany imagery.
  • Helsinki and other DACH cities and airports were added with GOTY later.
  • Gibraltar and Lord Howe have been turned to a morphing mess.
  • Iberia World Update had duplicate files (taking up useless disk space).
  • And many instances of poor colour correction, bugs with airports and so on...

I think giving each one of them one more month of work would greatly help towards making these updated areas look a lot more polished and not require future adjustments. Hopefully they will plan out four World Updates each year from now on.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DAD said:

Those having issues with the WU9, don’t  forget to leave your feedback here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/discussion-poll-world-update-ix-italy-1-25-9-0/518393

Here we go again, and again... wanted a world update?, now, you got it!

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

29 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:
  • Helsinki and other DACH cities and airports were added with GOTY later.

Agreed. This also supports what @GSalden noted. Contrary to what I recalled, MS/Asobo do corrections on former WUs which makes it important to report issues (in the proper place). I only visited Rome yesterday, but this will need a rework.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

After visiting ROME I decided to uninstall the region. I experienced stutters, trees everywhere, and crackling sound. Just terrible! They need to update this region pronto.

Update: After deleting the region, now Italy is usable again. WU9 is epic failure IMO.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

15 hours ago, DAD said:

Those having issues with the WU9, don’t  forget to leave your feedback here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/discussion-poll-world-update-ix-italy-1-25-9-0/518393

I took part in the poll. Gave them a 1/10 on the questions relating impressions with SU9.

Would have given a zero but that was not a choice. Seriously, this is horrible. Only 2 hours flying around Italy and all I could think was “word-not-allowed!” Naples and Rome are so much better pre the update. Hopefully they hotfix this hot mess. Else I predict this update is headed for the Recycle Bin.

And yes, they definitely do update (hopefully that means fix) stuff in WU’s. You can see this by watching the names of files being updated during the SU’s. 

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

42 minutes ago, pmb said:

Contrary to what I recalled, MS/Asobo do corrections on former WUs which makes it important to report issues

That's true, several fixes have been deployed to older World Updates over time. However, sometimes they take several months to fix (like the transparent terminals at Nice and Rotterdam), while others like the addition of lower LODs (to comply with Sim Update 5 rules) look like yet another rush job (Gherkin is a good example).

Jörg literally admitted in an interview regarding GOTY that he was disappointed that Helsinki, Freiburg and a few others were not ready in time for their respective World Updates, which makes me wonder, why rush them in the first place? Why not get London looking correct the first time, instead of rushing it and having to redo it later?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MarcG said:

Sure it maybe hard to fly and search every square inch of terrain in a World Update

Sure. But it's Rome. In World Update: Italy (and Malta)... Would think that they would discover this metropolitan-city-overgrown-by-huge-trees-blunder? They must have known. My guess they knew, and pushed the release button anyway. Which sort of even makes less sense. Because... it's Rome. Would think that they would at least want to show off that city in a decent way. 

I'm very tempted to uninstall WU9 now. But before that I'll take some screenshots so that I can compare before and after. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

After visiting ROME I decided to uninstall the region. I experienced stutters, trees everywhere, and crackling sound. Just terrible! They need to update this region pronto.

Update: After deleting the region, now Italy is usable again. WU9 is epic failure IMO.

Does this reset the trees back to normal for you? I have uninstalled WU9 and cleared cache, but my Italian cities are still covered in huge forests. Outside of Italy all seems fine, at least from what I have seen.

EDIT: Other areas outside Italy are affected too. I am seeing the same oversized trees in Brussels. I guess this affects all photogrammetry cities 😞

Edited by Johan217

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

WU9 is epic failure IMO.

I could not say it better!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

London is still a stutter fest ever since it was launched. and has never been fixed. It's probably the worst approach in the world, and it's pretty bad they have never corrected it, despite knowing about it. I can fly into just about everywhere else without issue bar London and EGLL

Edited by Car147
  • Like 4

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Gaya could have done a better job in previous airport sceneries when it comes to runway markings.

Almost every Gaya airport scenery I was interested in missed most of the aiming point and touchdown zone markings.

LICJ Palermo Airport by Gaya in World Update 9 however has got accurate markings and leaves a very good impression overall 👍👍👍

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Sure. But it's Rome. In World Update: Italy (and Malta)... Would think that they would discover this metropolitan-city-overgrown-by-huge-trees-blunder? They must have known. My guess they knew, and pushed the release button anyway. Which sort of even makes less sense. Because... it's Rome. Would think that they would at least want to show off that city in a decent way. 

I'm very tempted to uninstall WU9 now. But before that I'll take some screenshots so that I can compare before and after. 

I agree with you. If you release a World Update for Italy you better make sure that Rome looks like it should. I also read from various others that Naples looks worse now than before. And it already had PG, that people loved. What is the point of giving the PG an upgrade to reflect how the city looks in 2021 if the quality is not the same as it was before? Why do they not test these things thoroughly? 

Checking ALL added PG Cities and adjusting them with terrain fixes to nuke unwanted trees and adjust water polygons should be the least they should do before releasing this to public.

And what I also don't quite understand is why they haven't added any new autogen definitions since Scandinavia. The northern parts in the alps should have a distinct building type you will only find there.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

Anyone having trouble with the AI-traffic at Palermo?

For me they taxi for RWY 07, but they stop at the intersection leading to the runway, and actually never enter the runway.

Then they disappear after a while.

3 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Jörg literally admitted in an interview regarding GOTY that he was disappointed that Helsinki, Freiburg and a few others were not ready in time for their respective World Updates, which makes me wonder, why rush them in the first place? Why not get London looking correct the first time, instead of rushing it and having to redo it later?

A very fair question... unless it's some major milestone date set in stone where a lot of moving pieces need to line up in advance (i.e. the XBox release), they should always be prepared to either delay an SU or WU release to take more time to get it to an acceptable quality for release, or cancel it altogether and wait for the next release. Perhaps they're afraid to disappoint those who rabidly demand them to stick to proposed roadmaps/dates, but they should ignore that crowd if so.  Only release when ready, and don't especially regress functionality/quality! That said, the WU releases are optional free updates for users so at least that's good, i.e. it's not forced upon us.

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Now that i think of it, one of the things i was hoping to see was water masks. At least for places like Sardinia or Sicily considering the beautiful waters we have, but also the tuscan islands..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaIjCjLNJEk/

• Like 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."