Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

2 hours ago, roi1862 said:

Me too. The Fenix is anything but smooth. The PMDG is smooth for me even heavy payware airports. 

However i did checked the FPS and in default airports in the PMDG i am well over 60 fps. In the Fenix around 40. Payware airports are showstopper in the Fenix. 

I just loaded into the gate at FlyTampa CYYZ and I am seeing the exact same results which are a solid 30fps as I did at the Asobo EGLL. I have done around four 3 hour flights now and I am finding the performance to be stellar, even panning around the cockpit is smoother than in the FBW. I did try resizing all the textures in an 8K livery to 2K but honestly it didn't make any difference. I am curious that for those of you running 1080P with much more powerful GPU's than mine could it be that you are really CPU bound and the system is not balanced? (I think that is how it would be at 1080P) I have noticed that with the panel  rendering set to CPU & Quality my i5-9600K is working harder now (around 20% more)  but it now is perfectly balanced with my GPU usage at around 80% in 4K. I have been monitoring the frame times with RivaTuner and they are staying very even, there may be the odd spike here and there but the fps doesn't drop. I am running my 43 inch TV @ 30Hz and locking my frames to 30fps in NVCP along with VSYNC on.

Last night I flew from Glasgow to Toulouse and it was simply magical, I have never seen the sim so smooth. I had to pinch myself as I was cloud surfing descending through FL120, it looked so real. I am starting my upgrade journey soon and will be picking up a 12GB 3080 in the next few days, I know this will totally make me CPU bound until I get an i7-12700K in a month. It will be interesting to see how it performs with just a GPU change. I am almost a little nervous to do this though lol I know the results will not be stellar but I will have some headroom for the future.

I really hope those that are having a bad experience get to the bottom, this bird is simply incredible. Someone else mentioned it is a living and breathing aircraft and I am loving it

Edited by RJC68
  • Like 4

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

29 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

I just loaded into the gate at FlyTampa CYYZ and I am seeing the exact same results which are a solid 30fps as I did at the Asobo EGLL. I have done around four 3 hour flights now and I am finding the performance to be stellar, even panning around the cockpit is smoother than in the FBW. I did try resizing all the textures in an 8K livery to 2K but honestly it didn't make any difference. I am curious that for those of you running 1080P with much more powerful GPU's than mine could it be that you are really CPU bound and the system is not balanced? (I think that is how it would be at 1080P) I have noticed that with the panel  rendering set to CPU & Quality my i5-9600K is working harder now (around 20% more)  but it now is perfectly balanced with my GPU usage at around 80% in 4K. I have been monitoring the frame times with RivaTuner and they are staying very even, there may be the odd spike here and there but the fps doesn't drop. I am running my 43 inch TV @ 30Hz and locking my frames to 30fps in NVCP along with VSYNC on.

Last night I flew from Glasgow to Toulouse and it was simply magical, I have never seen the sim so smooth. I had to pinch myself as I was cloud surfing descending through FL120, it looked so real. I am starting my upgrade journey soon and will be picking up a 12GB 3080 in the next few days, I know this will totally make me CPU bound until I get an i7-12700K in a month. It will be interesting to see how it performs with just a GPU change. I am almost a little nervous to do this though lol I know the results will not be stellar but I will have some headroom for the future.

I really hope those that are having a bad experience get to the bottom, this bird is simply incredible. Someone else mentioned it is a living and breathing aircraft and I am loving it

I have flown a $20 Million dollar sim at an airline training center, and the Fenix is just as smooth. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, vonduck said:

HI guys, im keen to try the integrated graphic setting on the Fenix...when i went to select it i discover i don't have integrated graphics option available! Went into the bios and couldn't find anything! My MOBO website says it supports on board graphics so unsure why i can see it even in device manager! Any ideas? (Asus Z390 - Plus gaming mobo)

** Enabled it in BIOS...der...lol

Same problem here but I didn't find the GPU in the Bios.

Where did you locate it in the Bios?I followed some instructions but not found the gpu under Advanced system etc... I have a Z490.

But, what is more important...:) Did you have an increase in performance?

I'm happy for those experiencing excellent performance.

But it seems clear that the performance reduction is evident for most of the users.

The Fenix is really fantastic, so I hope @Aamir and such great developers will succeed to help us with this "problem" giving us a frame-rate friendly aircraft (at the very begin it was stated the attempt to have a default Cessna-like performance)

PS: I have also to add that MSFS performances, in general, are decreasing during months, update after update. I was an happy VR users and now I have stutters also in 2D mode in the same conditions.

Edited by fra147
editing text

Since when are 30fps „stellar“ or „smooth“? When you have a 144hz+ display, 30fps are far away from a solid and smooth experience. The MSFS starts getting smooth with 70+ fps but not with 30… With the PMDG you can get there but not with the Fenix. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ponymetzger said:

Since when are 30fps „stellar“ or „smooth“? When you have a 144hz+ display, 30fps are far away from a solid and smooth experience. The MSFS starts getting smooth with 70+ fps but not with 30… With the PMDG you can get there but not with the Fenix. 

That's because flight simulation isn't Counter Strike (or whatever young people play these days). BTW: Your nickname is great! Would also fit very well into Counter Strike, if I may say so, but I start to get off-topic.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Has nothing to do with FPs-titels. 30fps is just not smooth. For FPS games you need minimum 165hz and not 70. 

I'd be happy with 30fps! I'm struggling with dips to 20fps or slightly less at heavy airports with traffic. I appreciate my PC is old, but the performance here is just not comparable with the PMDG 737 at this stage.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

2 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

I'd be happy with 30fps! I'm struggling with dips to 20fps or slightly less at heavy airports with traffic. I appreciate my PC is old, but the performance here is just not comparable with the PMDG 737 at this stage.

Your CPU is almost 9 years old at this point and Fenix does require more CPU horsepower.  PMDG 737 is not as demanding on CPU so this is why you are seeing a difference. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 hour ago, Ponymetzger said:

I do not have the latest or greatest hardware so I lock my frames at 30fps to give my CPU & GPU some headroom. I am running on a 43 inch 4K TV that is native 60Hz, By running at 30Hz, VSYNC on & locked 30FPS in the Sim it is buttery smooth, There really is no smoke & mirrors here. I get no stutters when banking, climbing or descending. For the smoothest experience it is all about keeping the frame time as low as possible. I did a lot of testing with my hardware when I upgraded my old 1080P TV and yes by dialing back the settings and using a lower resolution I could hit 60FPS but the sim didn't look that great. 

I have never owned a 144hz + display, I may be wrong aren't these 1080P? I just prefer native 4K and like others have said many times you do not need to be chasing super high FPS in MSFS 2020. I am by no means an expert but does having a super high refresh rate mean you need to have consistently higher FPS for it too be smooth? That is kind of what you are suggesting

Look at the image below, looking out of the left window, obviously you cannot see it but there is no stuttering, the scenery is passing by smoothly

tJ9EoJ1.jpg

And now during a 10 degree bank to the left

mXHrhaW.jpg

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

18 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

I know the PMDG 737 is out only on PC at the moment.
That said, you have an Xbox Series S. Is that not a better option to run MSFS for you?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

No, 144Hz + displays are not only 1080p anymore. You can get them with 4k or ultrawide etc. . I can understand that point but in general 30fps is not smooth compared to 60+ fps. You will see a huge difference. And also in a simulation you will see such things. 

And no, you don't need always 144fps. The 144 (142 for Sync) is the best case, but you will start seeing a difference even with 70+ fps. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

I know the PMDG 737 is out only on PC at the moment.
That said, you have an Xbox Series S. Is that not a better option to run MSFS for you?

As you said so yourself - the selection of aircraft available on the Xbox platform is severely lacking at this moment in time. None of those mentioned here are available yet (if ever in the case of the Airbus) and the aircraft that are available are low in quality in comparison.

It's a shame because hardware wise the Xbox is very capable.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

1 hour ago, Ponymetzger said:

No, 144Hz + displays are not only 1080p anymore. You can get them with 4k or ultrawide etc. . I can understand that point but in general 30fps is not smooth compared to 60+ fps. You will see a huge difference. And also in a simulation you will see such things. 

And no, you don't need always 144fps. The 144 (142 for Sync) is the best case, but you will start seeing a difference even with 70+ fps. 

I totally agree. 30 FPS is not 60 FPS no matter how you turn it, how much you want to believe it, its simply a different experience. Its a shame people have made the "30FPS Vsync locked meta" into the the gold standard of flight sims...

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

3 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

I totally agree. 30 FPS is not 60 FPS no matter how you turn it, how much you want to believe it, its simply a different experience. Its a shame people have made the "30FPS Vsync locked meta" into the the gold standard of flight sims...

If it is smooth and stutter free, that is all you need. Million dollar sims work at 30 FPS, doesn't seem to bother the airline pilots at all. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

If it is smooth and stutter free, that is all you need. Million dollar sims work at 30 FPS, doesn't seem to bother the airline pilots at all. 

Airline pilot don't go to this sims for fun. They go cause they need to do every so often. They will practice some scenarios and call it a day. 

I and i guess lots of other doing it for fun. And i think its safe to say our payware airports sceneries are much more detailed than whatever they got in the Level-D sim.  

Roi Ben