Sign in to follow this  
Brandon01110

Top Gun DLC?

4 minutes ago, BufordTX said:

Asobo can model a scramjet at Mach 9, but a turbo charged piston engine from the 1960s has them completely bumfuzzled. 

Because they can be a little generous about actual scramjet operation than turboprops because there is 99.9999% more turboprop data in the real world we can hold them to vs scramjet data operating in LSO (low space orbit). 😉 

This is a fun plane...not a serious one....kinda like the one that dev that gave us with no cockpit. 🤣

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

17 minutes ago, KL791 said:

I have also been looking into this today splitting the files apart to see if there is something to learn 

What a bizarre arrangement they seem to have. 

It seems like everyone is taking a close look at this. Which is very handy because I don't understand a single byte of it. 

• Like 1

Did they take the TopGun Landing Challenge down?  I can't find it in the Activities section Landing Challenges.  OOPS - gotta keep sliding to the right to find the correct screen.  Sorry, slow learner.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

12 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Compared to what's been available in DCS for several years, this is... comical.  Really surprised MSFS wouldn't have something a little more complete than this.  I guess it's (rightly) not a priority though; MSFS is primarily (almost entirely) intended as a civilian sim.  Still... geez.  

I mean... it's a free promotional thing for a movie, lol.

Any more complete implementation of fighter jets, carriers etc. would almost certainly come as part of an actual expansion the way helicopters are (eventually).

All I wanted from this Top Gun thing was hopefully a decent default carrier they could implement in the game for people to use and land on.  The rest of it was fun for a couple hours and didn't cost me a dime, so... cool?  I can now uninstall it and go back to the Fenix.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scottoest said:

Any more complete implementation of fighter jets, carriers etc. would almost certainly come as part of an actual expansion the way helicopters are (eventually).

All I wanted from this Top Gun thing was hopefully a decent default carrier they could implement in the game for people to use and land on.  The rest of it was fun for a couple hours and didn't cost me a dime, so... cool?  I can now uninstall it and go back to the Fenix.

Exactly. Here comes a free DLC that we can simply opt out of, yet we find ways to complain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scottoest said:

It's such a bad promotion that i'm not interested in the movie anymore either. I just freed up 2,4 GB of drive space for something more usefull.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

3 hours ago, Turpentine said:

Exactly. Here comes a free DLC that we can simply opt out of, yet we find ways to complain.

And harp about realism.

If however, Asobo took that to heart and added a full battle simulation...

I suspect kittens would be birthed throughout the forum, as my years of membership here have shown me that there is little more horrifying to this audience... Than warplanes doing actual war-stuff.

Be thankful then, that Asobo did not go this route with its tie-in:

• Like 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 5/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, Tuskin38 said:

It really isn't. It's for everyone.

Doing the Darkstar challenge, I got the plane to Mach 3.7, but couldn't figure out how to properly engage the scramjets. Flipping the switch is just giving me a warning tone.

Tip if you haven't already discovered, make sure you switch on objectives from the handlebar at the top.  It tells you how to activate the scramjets.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

Into the Blue's take on the Darkstar

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

10 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Tip if you haven't already discovered, make sure you switch on objectives from the handlebar at the top.  It tells you how to activate the scramjets.

I decided after watching a few Youtube videos to re-install the DLC and give the Darkstar another try.  I didn't do it in the mission but rather a free flight from Area 51.  I must say in VR the Darkstar is very satisfying flying out from the desert up to the outer edges of space.  Also figuring out how to get it back to home base and land is great as well.  I'm surprised to say the Darkstar is the high point of this DLC content.  I hate flying planes that don't exist but this one is like a modern SR71 and requires technique to handle.  It's a must try in VR that sends the experience over the top. 

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, Dillon said:

I decided after watching a few Youtube videos to re-install the DLC and give the Darkstar another try.  I didn't do it in the mission but rather a free flight from Area 51.  I must say in VR the Darkstar is very satisfying flying out from the desert up to the outer edges of space.  Also figuring out how to get it back to home base and land is great as well.  I'm surprised to say the Darkstar is the high point of this DLC content.  I hate flying planes that don't exist but this one is like a modern SR71 and requires technique to handle.  It's a must try in VR that sends the experience over the top. 

I agree. I was scoffing at this movie tie-in, but the Darkstar is surprisingly fun to fly around, even without VR. Going at Mach 10 at FL275,000 (MSFS appears hard limited to this altitude) is a very unique experience. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Into the Blue's take on the Darkstar

Quick note - the video isn’t accurate cause he never switches on the scram jets - see the pinned comments. If he had switched it on, he would have gone from Mach 3 -> Mach 10 really fast. As it stands, he’s stuck at around Mach 4 cause the scramjets aren’t online. 

5 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I suspect kittens would be birthed throughout the forum, as my years of membership here have shown me that there is little more horrifying to this audience... Than warplanes doing actual war-stuff.

This gave me a good chuckle. 🤣🤣 Much in the way some are complaining about a completely FREE and OPTIONAL DLC.

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, Tuskin38 said:

Man, landing on the carrier in this is harder than FSX, how is anyone going to do this with an X-Box controller?

1250410_20220525204122_1.png

1250410_20220525204205_1.png

Edit: oops, I forgot to turn off Volanta

Byf8hek.png

Yeah I botched it 3 times in a row at first then had an ugly landing. The key is 119-121 knots all the way down. The problem is it's hard to stay perfectly at 120 kts.  You have to move the throttle around a bit. Also, it's kinda dumb they don't give you the G/S until a half mile then when you do get it your always high if you stay on speed. 

The Dark star word not allowed me off, Like you I couldn't figure out the scramjets, but I pitched down then back up and they turned on?  I don't know.  But it's hard as hell to keep 120k feet and on heading.  I made it all the way to Cape Canaveral. Then as I was turning back to the HODOB waypoint my engines flamed out....  I was like uhhhhh... why did that happen.  

And then Toybee Canyon speed run is baffling everyone, no one can get higher than 1,750,000

21 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I was just ranting/complaining about this kind of publicity stunts which are usually seen in games

MSFS 2020 is a game.

Welcome to the danger zone.

• Like 1