Sign in to follow this  
JRBarrett

PMDG Update June 17th

What I don't get is why is such a big deal that the 737 is currently missing these features. The NGXu had them, all their other aircraft have them, and all of them will have these features in MSFS as well, with the 737 being completed over the summer. It's not like they axed these features. It's temporary.

I find it awkward that the 737 was released without them even if there are good reasons why and I hope that's not going to the case in the future (which it probably won't be), but the minute these are released all of the points about the 737 being subpar and behind will be moot. I fly in VR so no EFB is outright annoying, but I still don't think the situation is this bad and I'm certainly not even going to think about it anymore as soon as the features are out. If they permanently removed them, that would be a big deal in a negative way.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 minutes ago, threegreen said:

What I don't get is why is such a big deal that the 737 is currently missing these features. The NGXu had them, all their other aircraft have them, and all of them will have these features in MSFS as well, with the 737 being completed over the summer. It's not like they axed these features. It's temporary.

I find it awkward that the 737 was released without them even if there are good reasons why and I hope that's not going to the case in the future (which it probably won't be), but the minute these are released all of the points about the 737 being subpar and behind will be moot. I fly in VR so no EFB is outright annoying, but I still don't think the situation is this bad and I'm certainly not even going to think about it anymore as soon as the features are out.

I think there's a perception that the Fenix A320 kinda "showed up" PMDG more than a little bit, as you can track the nosedive in the discourse around PMDG to the week the Fenix came out.

1 minute ago, Scottoest said:

I think there's a perception that the Fenix A320 kinda "showed up" PMDG more than a little bit, as you can track the nosedive in the discourse around PMDG to the week the Fenix came out.

I agree completely. I just don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to use a temporary lack as an argument to say it's behind other aircraft because of this, since it's not meant to be left without. Logically it is behind in this regard right now, but as long as PMDG keep to their roadmap of adding these things I don't think it's much of an issue, even if it's a bit weird for the moment.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

15 minutes ago, rka said:

The FMC does it in case of the 737. I generally agree with you though.

No, it doesnot. You mean v-speeds, but that's only a small part of a takeoff performance. You can easily crash your aircraft by using wrong flaps or wrong n1, no matter if vspeeds are correct.

Just now, threegreen said:

I agree completely. I just don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to use a temporary lack as an argument to say it's behind other aircraft because of this, since it's not meant to be left without. Logically it is behind in this regard right now, but as long as PMDG keep to their roadmap of adding these things I don't think it's much of an issue, even if it's a bit weird for the moment.

It makes a lot more sense than calling an aircraft "on the same level" as Fenix (or better) because eventually something will be added that we don't know yet what it can actually do. It makes a lot more sense judging something by the actual state than judging something by a predicted future state (which as said above is completely unclear also).
The 737 right now IS behind other aircraft, full stop.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

It makes a lot more sense than calling an aircraft "on the same level" as Fenix (or better) because eventually something will be added that we don't know yet what it can actually do. It makes a lot more sense judging something by the actual state than judging something by a predicted future state (which as said above is completely unclear also).
The 737 right now IS behind other aircraft, full stop.

The 737 being behind other aircraft because of certain features missing is literally what I said and I'm not at all saying it's on par because something will be added in the future. The only point I made is it's temporary so not that big of a deal, at least to me.

Edit: I realize the first sentence you quoted is worded in a way that suggests that was my point, but that sentence came out wrong.

Edited by threegreen

2 minutes ago, threegreen said:

The 737 being behind other aircraft because of certain features missing is literally what I said and I'm not at all saying it's on par because something will be added in the future. The only point I made is it's temporary so not that big of a deal, at least to me.

For me either, so I guess we agree 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

No, it doesnot. You mean v-speeds, but that's only a small part of a takeoff performance. You can easily crash your aircraft by using wrong flaps or wrong n1, no matter if vspeeds are correct.

Are you saying you need an efb to tell you which flaps to use?

And yes, I was talking about v speeds mainly. The fmc will also calculate N1, accepts temp entries for that and requires flaps entry.

How did you crash your plane with wrong flaps? Genuinely interested.

• Like 4

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

I don't understand this compulsion to rant at every dev (PMDG in this case) over some details that have already been acknowledged by them.. Ok it does look as if they were not on the ball compared to Fenix. But the aircraft is still pretty word not allowed good, and they have said issues like the EFB, are in progress as we speak.I am sure the texture issues will also be resolved, because if they don't their credability will fall through the floor.

Yes it's great to have the EFB available, making it far less of a choir when calculating V speeds, weight, and FP intigration, but it's not the end of the world. Maybe i am just putting more trust in them to sort the issues?

Edited by Car147
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

12 minutes ago, rka said:

Are you saying you need an efb to tell you which flaps to use?

And yes, I was talking about v speeds mainly. The fmc will also calculate N1, accepts temp entries for that and requires flaps entry.

The FMC does not provide realistic calculations that take into account runway length, runway conditions (ie. wet vs dry), atmospheric conditions (wind speed and direction), or intersection departures.  I believe, and would be happy to be corrected if I’m wrong, that the FMC only accounts for aircraft weight in it’s calculations, but nothing else.

Edited by Gilandred

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

Need to fix the landing gear wont go up issue.

spacer.png

Will be good to see these features implemented, as it is closer to actual airliners obviously.

Meantime, though, on Vatsim you can see loads of 737s flying around quite happily afaik.

35 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

The FMC does not provide realistic calculations that take into account runway length, runway conditions (ie. wet vs dry), atmospheric conditions (wind speed and direction), or intersection departures.  I believe, and would be happy to be corrected if I’m wrong, that the FMC only accounts for aircraft weight in it’s calculations, but nothing else.

if  you  being  using  p2dv4  or  fsx   and  have  still got  Top cat take off  and  landing  calculator tool still installed  you  still  can use  that or  you  could  use  this

http://www.b737.org.uk/vspeedcalc2.htm

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

18 hours ago, Cognita said:

Yea, I thought the other day, "wouldn't it be great if Fenix decided to take the Prosim 738 and develop it out to complement its A320."

Never stop dreaming. Who knows?

Personally I'd rather be able to save flights and use >2x simulation rate with PMDG (cf. Fenix) than worry about an EFB at this stage. Not to mention the better performance! Idk, for me it's more the tone of PMDG employees and management that bother me more than the actual output/aircraft itself. It seems that because the PMDG 737 isn't 'perfect' there is this weird backlash that the product is far more behind the market than it actually is - it's fine! No one is getting ripped off with it. I'm more interested to know if the PMDG backlash might help them think about how they interact with customers rather than re-think the aircraft itself.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2