Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

C414 Speed Issue

Really enjoy the C414 but my cruise speed is way short. All I get is a GS around 160-170 knots. Am I missing something?

Chris Chiozza

Full Rich, then lean out depending on cruise.

Edited by cchiozza

Chris Chiozza

Which flight level, power settings? And please check if you are referring to IAS oder TAS.

For example on FL200 with max settings I will get around 160 IAS but 215 TAS and thats matching the POH (at least to the few numbers we actually have)

Cheers

T.

I usually get 180-190 kts TAS at 6000ft depending on winds. For cruise I use MP 31 and 2300 prop. Mixture leaned. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Make sure you check the true ground speed on your GPS. The speed indicated on the air speed indicator on the dash dial is affected by the wind a lot. For example ... you could see 160 knots on the air speed indicator, but you would fly at a ground speed of 188.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cchiozza said:

Really enjoy the C414 but my cruise speed is way short. All I get is a GS around 160-170 knots. Am I missing something?

Similar episode happened to me IRL in Piper Arrow when my gear stuck half way out. It took me a minute to figure that out. Make sure all your flaps and gear are up!

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, cchiozza said:

What altitude?  What power settings?  MP and RPM?  Weight?

Ground speed depends on wind - if you have a big headwind 160 could be totally normal.  This plane typically does about 210-220 KTAS (knots true airspeed) at FL210.  So you'd see about 150-155 KIAS at FL210 (the speed indicated on your gauge).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

What altitude?  What power settings?  MP and RPM?  Weight?

Yep! but is the first question here "where are you reading your ground speed"?   Then, "...any idea what the winds were at your altitude?"

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Are your cowl flaps closed at altitude?

The developer of the C414 said that if you leave cowl flaps open at high altitudes it can over-cool the engine resulting in lower performance, this may be affecting your ground speed somewhat.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

18 hours ago, Frag said:

Make sure you check the true ground speed on your GPS. The speed indicated on the air speed indicator on the dash dial is affected by the wind a lot. For example ... you could see 160 knots on the air speed indicator, but you would fly at a ground speed of 188.

You have that the wrong way round, its ground speed that is affected by wind not airspeed

Edited by Sceadu

Can you give me a quick description on how to set the power and mixture settings please ?

Something about ........... squared ?

Takeoff power: 41" MP at 2700 RPM

Climb power: 35" MP at 2500 RPM (mixture FULL RICH up to 20,000 feet and cowl flaps open)

Cruise power (20,000 - 21,000 feet): 34" MP and 2300 RPM. Cowl flaps closed, lean mixture to peak EGT, then advance the mixture levers to 75 degrees rich of peak EGT. (Yes, you can run lean of peak, but Continental recommends ROP.)

Descend at 500-1000 fpm, maintaining prop RPM and reducing manifold pressure by 1" per 1000 feet of descent. Keep the cowl flaps closed to avoid cooling the engines too quickly. I typically plan to start the approach at 21" MP and cruise RPM.

• Like 2

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

1 hour ago, Yoda967 said:

Cruise power (20,000 - 21,000 feet): 34" MP and 2300 RPM. Cowl flaps closed, lean mixture to peak EGT, then advance the mixture levers to 75 degrees rich of peak EGT. (Yes, you can run lean of peak, but Continental recommends ROP.)

I've been running 31" MP and 2300 RPM at FL200. But I guess there's no reason why not to choose 34" for a higher cruise speed. I guess it also depends on how economical you have to be in terms of fuel burn. 

EDIT: At the moment I'm getting a TAS of 250 kts with the above settings at FL200. Must have a pretty decent tailwind 🙂

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, Cpt_Piett said:

I've been running 31" MP and 2300 RPM at FL200. But I guess there's no reason why not to choose 34" for a higher cruise speed. I guess it also depends on how economical you have to be in terms of fuel burn. 

Agreed! 34" and 2300 RPM is 75% power for that altitude, which is max continuous power (per the Continental engine manual), and anything below that is purely up to the pilot. Your power setting saves about 13% fuel while sacrificing 4% of the speed...definitely a better choice if you're considering fuel costs. 

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200