Sign in to follow this  
bubbajune

Windows 11 update 22h2 - Beware

Well for me just "destroyed" my msfs. High settings low settings doesn't mater, vr is a mess. Completely impossible to play. Hope they release a fix on these soon...

I9-9900K @3.60GHZ, 64GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080

36 minutes ago, jcpancha said:

Well for me just "destroyed" my msfs. High settings low settings doesn't mater, vr is a mess. Completely impossible to play. Hope they release a fix on these soon...

Have you updated Geforce experience as instructed?  The old version has a bug that causes poor performance with W11 22H2, but the new version is fine. 
I am talking about the Geforce experience app, not the driver.

The easiest way to do it is to get the beta, which is fixed.  Go to your Geforce experience settings and activate 'experimental features', which will download the latest beta.

If this doesn't fix it, then it is a specific problem for your PC or setup, as everyone else is fine after this fix.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Have you updated Geforce experience as instructed?  The old version has a bug that causes poor performance with W11 22H2, but the new version is fine. 
I am talking about the Geforce experience app, not the driver.

The easiest way to do it is to get the beta, which is fixed.  Go to your Geforce experience settings and activate 'experimental features', which will download the latest beta.

If this doesn't fix it, then it is a specific problem for your PC or setup, as everyone else is fine after this fix.

Hi bobcat999, thanks for your feedback, unfortunately no. I have the experimental features on since long time and nothing. Can't really understand if it's from my pc or not. I've already did a fresh install for MSFS as well reverb g2 and nothing. Other games i have no probs, loke for example DCS or XPLANE. Studio driver improved it a bit but it's far from what i had prior to the update, was always a very smooth experience, even on high LOD areas like EGLL, 0 stutters. I'm trying not to make a clean install on the pc but i reckon i have no chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcpancha said:

Hi bobcat999, thanks for your feedback, unfortunately no. I have the experimental features on since long time and nothing. Can't really understand if it's from my pc or not. I've already did a fresh install for MSFS as well reverb g2 and nothing. Other games i have no probs, loke for example DCS or XPLANE. Studio driver improved it a bit but it's far from what i had prior to the update, was always a very smooth experience, even on high LOD areas like EGLL, 0 stutters. I'm trying not to make a clean install on the pc but i reckon i have no chance.

That is a great shame!  I feel so sorry for you. I know it is really frustrating.  I hope you find something or your clean install goes well if you decide to do it.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

56 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

That is a great shame!  I feel so sorry for you. I know it is really frustrating.  I hope you find something or your clean install goes well if you decide to do it.

Just an update after 3 or 4 long days looking for a fix, tried, the holografic shell stop, and man what a change, i'm busting everything on medium to high settings VR DLSS and I have around 50/60 fps with no stutters. If anyone else is having issues try this, Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions. In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@jcpancha  Excellent!  That is a good find.  Glad you sorted it!

On 9/30/2022 at 10:05 AM, jcpancha said:

Just an update after 3 or 4 long days looking for a fix, tried, the holografic shell stop, and man what a change, i'm busting everything on medium to high settings VR DLSS and I have around 50/60 fps with no stutters. If anyone else is having issues try this, Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions. In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’.

Where is Computer Management located? Without knowing that, this method cannot be used.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

28 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Where is Computer Management located? Without knowing that, this method cannot be used.

Type Computer Management in your search bar and when it comes up, run it as administrator.

• Like 1

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

All this just convinces me to avoid installing Win 11 until I have to. I have not seen a single good reason to do it any sooner (and I've asked).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cobalt said:

All this just convinces me to avoid installing Win 11 until I have to. I have not seen a single good reason to do it any sooner (and I've asked).

I installed windows 11.

First I ran the github patch to bring back toolbars on the taskbar. Toolbars is where I store everything  I use, such as every MSFS manual, and so forth.

Next I did the regedit to allow dragging the taskbar from bottom to the top, sides, etc.

Next I  run a batchfile every time I use VR to turn off the holographic Shell (otherwise using a Reverb G2 will cut framerates in half). (Windows 11 turns on holographic Shell every time it boots up in order to what? To eventually seize control of the metaverse from Meta?)

I remind myself to use an extra click when trying to do some things from the right click menus.

I updated the payware Start 10 to Start 11 to get rid of the 'modern' GUI charms foolishness  and make the desktop, Start button, and Control Panel look like Windows  7 again. It's  Windows 11 whose GUI looks like Windows  7.

All of this sort of makes Windows 11 as easy and fun as Windows 10 used to be. Sort of.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

18 hours ago, Fielder said:

I installed windows 11.

First I ran the github patch to bring back toolbars on the taskbar. Toolbars is where I store everything  I use, such as every MSFS manual, and so forth.

Next I did the regedit to allow dragging the taskbar from bottom to the top, sides, etc.

Next I  run a batchfile every time I use VR to turn off the holographic Shell (otherwise using a Reverb G2 will cut framerates in half). (Windows 11 turns on holographic Shell every time it boots up in order to what? To eventually seize control of the metaverse from Meta?)

I remind myself to use an extra click when trying to do some things from the right click menus.

I updated the payware Start 10 to Start 11 to get rid of the 'modern' GUI charms foolishness  and make the desktop, Start button, and Control Panel look like Windows  7 again. It's  Windows 11 whose GUI looks like Windows  7.

All of this sort of makes Windows 11 as easy and fun as Windows 10 used to be. Sort of.

The question remains: what is gained by doing this?

• Like 1

Been using W11 since day one. Installed 22h2 as soon as it was available. It's great. W11 is the best Windows version ever. I really don't understand why people are moaning about Windows all the time. Okay, so some things change... that's life. Just get used to it instead of trying to make every new version of Windows look like W7 or W10. I completely stopped tweaking Windows (just like I stopped tweaking flight sims) a decade ago or so. In the far away past I also did the most idiotic things to make things run better or look different... until I discovered things usually run better and lookt better untweaked, so as intended by the devs. Makes life a lot easier too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cobalt said:

The question remains: what is gained by doing this?

Nothing is gained by 'upgrading' to Windows 11. It's a dumbed down version designed for casual users using simple devices instead of power users. It's bad. But the changes I made above helps to mitigate the damage from everything useful Microsoft tried to take away from us in order to make it look slicker. Microsoft wants windows to be pretty, and to look more like chrome OS. 

MS buried the 'hide the  taskbar automatically' under layers in Settings. "Settings" itself is just a slick sissified replacement for Control Panel. They want the taskbar left visible and right  there on the bottom so that you will see their stuff which they want to constantly throw at you, Cortana, People  Widgets, Chat, Weather and more. It's their way to manipulate you into wanting and using more MS apps and content. 

Same reason that they loaded up more 'word not allowed' on the right click menu, like 'Share with Skype'. So now it's a two page menu. 

Some of this came in even before Windows 11. I hate to think what all is coming next. 

• Like 2