Sign in to follow this  
bubbajune

Windows 11 update 22h2 - Beware

Love Win11...

Wouldn't go back to Win10 - no way !

I'd say it's, after XP, the best version of the MS OS I have used so far.

• Like 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

21 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Love Win11...

OK, I will ask one more time. Please tell me, in simple straightforward language, what is better in Windows 11 compared to Windows 10?

Specifics, please, not generalities. Many thanks.

• Like 1

For me the best thing in Win 11 is that it is much more stable when about to receive updates, which usually turn Win 10 slow and unstable until applied.

In my flight simulators, X-plane, MFS, P3D, IL2, I have experienced a smoother ride with the same settings and addons than in Win 10. This is expressed for instance in XP11 (didn't try XP12 in Win 10) in terms of better and more stable FPS, smoothness and less stutters.

I prefer the GUI in Win 11. Easier and cleaner, more intuitive for me.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

5 hours ago, cobalt said:

OK, I will ask one more time. Please tell me, in simple straightforward language, what is better in Windows 11 compared to Windows 10?

Specifics, please, not generalities. Many thanks.

HDR

I'm not seeing any difference between Win10 & 11 from a performance perspective, visually it's a bit different and there's a few quality of life improvements but to me it's just another OS. 

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

So, the verdict on 22H2 is that it seems to be working ok..? Got the update but haven’t installed it. 🫣

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Windows 11 is becoming more widespread but (as an IT sort) I have to say it remains very much a work in progress. I have deferred upgrading to it on my home machines several times.  I have done so on the grounds that principally it isn't a done thing yet.  New, often "experimental", features are being introduced all the time.  And Microsoft are regularly introducing problems with the rolling feature updates to Windows 11.  This is fine if you're part of a closed beta group but can problematic for members of the public who suddenly hit printer problems or OS features that break.

I've absolutely no doubt Windows 11 can run efficiently executables on modern processors, including MSFS,  and that for some people it serves their needs just fine but the Windows 11 environment is still changing too much for me to commit to it.  I'll await a more feature complete and more mature version than exists now.

If you want an idea on how Windows 11 is evolving (the good and the bad) just keep an eye on this site.

https://www.windowslatest.com/

• Upvote 1

Let us go back on topic.

22H2 works well with the latest NV driver installed…

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Let us go back on topic.

22H2 works well with the latest NV driver installed…

It does, now, but when I pushed it last weekend and started MFS thereafter, I noticed that cloud shadows on water were squares 😞

Also had an error reporting GPU overstress, which didin't make any sense.

I restarted Windows and another Win11 patch / update took place, and after that everything is work fine & smooth as before.

Have tried XP12 and MFS, the last in DX11 and DX12, with DLSS and TAA, no quirks.

I had installed the latest Nvidia driver before the 22H2 update was applied.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

I wish I could run MSFS om Mac/OS, the best operativsystem available. 

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

15 hours ago, jcomm said:

Love Win11...

It's the same cycle as always. When XP first came out. People were trashing it left and right and hoping it died a fast death. "OMG THE INTERFACE".  The hate for XP was astronomical. Then a few short years later people were laying on railroad tracks to defend XP and sign away their lives for it and vowing to never leave it.

• Like 4

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

5 hours ago, Humble Jim said:

I have done so on the grounds that principally it isn't a done thing yet.  New, often "experimental", features are being introduced all the time.  And Microsoft are regularly introducing problems with the rolling feature updates to Windows 11.

Sounds like MSFS. 

• Like 2

FWIW, Win 11 has worked fine on my gaming PC.  I just installed 22H2 and while I haven't done deep testing, I haven't noticed any difference.  MSFS runs exactly the same as it did before (if anything, better than ever, but I think that's the latest game patch which seems to have fixed a lot of my issues). 

I wouldn't have done an upgrade, but my PC was new so I just clean installed 11 and it has been zero drama.  I just put it on my work PC as well to test and again, zero problems.  I would not do an upgrade in place until you have to of course. 

In the past, Windows was just... difficult at times prior to 10.  But 10 and 11 honestly have been great for me.  Between work and home (supporting 60+ laptops), I have yet to have to reinstall the OS to fix an issue, which was all too common with 7 and before.  It has been ages since I dealt with an actual "Windows" problem.  Any recent MSFS issues for me have been either nvidia related or patches causing issues. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Apparently after every update there is a 10 day period where you can roll back to the previous version if there any problems. It is possible to change this time period to 60 days.

I always image my Windows drive regularly and before big updates but this might be of help to those who have not done the 22H2 update yet (me included) 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

6 hours ago, styckx said:

It's the same cycle as always. When XP first came out. People were trashing it left and right and hoping it died a fast death. "OMG THE INTERFACE".  The hate for XP was astronomical. Then a few short years later people were laying on railroad tracks to defend XP and sign away their lives for it and vowing to never leave it.

No hate here -- just asking for info on why I should upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11. So far, what I am hearing amounts to "because it is there". The advocates of Win 11 seem to be straining to rationalize it, but cannot offer any compelling reason. Thanks to numerous posts here and elsewhere, I see no overwhelming urgency to do it now. But I will wait and see.