Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Sim Update 11 beta will begin October 12

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

So far I've disabled all freeware scenery and modded aircraft.

same experience here. something I would hate to give up (fortunately still works with SU11 beta) is obstacles & radio antennas & towers world wide, from we-love-vfr from flightsim.to

https://flightsim.to/file/2605/we-love-vfr-region-1

https://flightsim.to/file/16674/we-love-vfr-region-2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 minute ago, turbomax said:

same experience here. something I would hate to give up (fortunately still works with SU11 beta) is obstacles & radio antennas & towers world wide, from we-love-vfr from flightsim.to

https://flightsim.to/file/2605/we-love-vfr-region-1

https://flightsim.to/file/16674/we-love-vfr-region-2

I'm sorry, I beg your pardon sire, but are you saying the VFR regions work? 😄 I love those addons. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, styckx said:

Oof. I just watched a live traffic plane cruise through Manhattan at like 200ft and flying through skyscrapers. They need to fix that. That triggered some past memories. 

That was bulleted in the release notes of SU11 beta as being fixed. Oh well!

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, JSmith2112 said:

I'm not seeing an option for FSR. Am I locked out because I have a Nvidia card or am I not looking in the right place?

FSR is the AMD version of DLSS. You will not see it with your nVidia card.

I left home yesterday on a visit to Seattle and will not get back home until next Tuesday night. I hope you guys have found all the bugs and asobo has released an update by then. I cant wait to try FSR 2. I have been using FSR 1 with great results since they enabled it a few months ago.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

5 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

FSR is the AMD version of DLSS. You will not see it with your nVidia card.

I left home yesterday on a visit to Seattle and will not get back home until next Tuesday night. I hope you guys have found all the bugs and asobo has released an update by then. I cant wait to try FSR 2. I have been using FSR 1 with great results since they enabled it a few months ago.

It is FSR2 and not FSR, it works on any video card, and you will only see it if you switch to DX12

I've had a really hard time with SU11 so far. First flight yesterday was okay. Tried another this morning and had all kids of problems. AIG not working, GSX doing it's thing, but no vehicles were showing, missing taxi ribbon. I gave up and restarted. Next flight I got off the ground and into cruise, but then the sim just froze up and had to be restarted.

I switched from the Fenix to the PMDG 737 and went through ground services. All was well. Shutdown and restarted with the Fenix, and I'm back into cruise doing fine now.

Somehow, switching airplanes and letting them recompile the WASM seems to make things work. Doesn't make sense, but this is twice now for me that issues right after a new version were fixed by doing this. Weird.  

UPDATE: Yet another flight just completely hung during cruise. Grrr....

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I beg your pardon sire, but are you saying the VFR regions work?

yes my Lord Captain. they are both in my community folder and I haven't crashed since. maybe that's why. 😊

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

So does CFD thermals affect all aircraft (including 3rd party aircraft) or only certain ones?

5 minutes ago, turbomax said:

yes my Lord Captain. they are both in my community folder and I haven't crashed since. maybe that's why. 😊

My liege, that's wonderful. I'll go ahead and throw them right into that folder. 

Btw, now that the clouds are back online, I'm getting some very interesting (in a good way) weather around UK and Ireland. As per the release notes, they haven't done anything with the clouds in this beta. This is Dublin: 

UKcuf0A.jpg

METAR (30 mins ago): Visibility 10km or more. Clouds few 800ft, scattered 3200ft.

METAR (1 hr ago): Visibility 6000m. Light shower rain. Clouds few 800ft, few 1800ft cumulonimbus, broken 2600ft.

• Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

There is definitely some addon crashing the sim for me, and it's not a Carenado plane. Now to the hard work of finding the culprit (same happened with Su10 beta). Disabled half my addons and the sim didn't crash, guess I'm getting closer.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Some people on MSFS forum are saying the sim will load and work properly if certain folders of addons are removed from Official. Others have said they can run the sim with those same folders installed. There is a staggering amount of variety in what Official content has to be removed in one person's installed MSFS but does not apply to another person's.

This is obviously the most buggy and hopeless BETA ever in the history of MSFS. I predict it cannot be fixed by Asobo in a month because there is just too many variables in what works for one person's installed content does not work for another. I think it would take an army of Asobo programmers and testers 3 months to sort through all the permutations and possibilities. 

I predict most of the excellent improvements seen so far in SU11 will no longer be there at the big Anniversary edition on November 11. Some features will have been removed because they are not stable enough throughout the user base. Especially the Xbox users.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

56 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Btw, now that the clouds are back online, I'm getting some very interesting (in a good way) weather around UK and Ireland. As per the release notes, they haven't done anything with the clouds in this beta.

I wonder however given the weather related improvements below and those specifically around METAR-blending/updating, that's bound to result in better live weather/clouds depictions?, at least under certain conditions and circumstances.

Weather

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

28 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Some people on MSFS forum are saying the sim will load and work properly if certain folders of addons are removed from Official. Others have said they can run the sim with those same folders installed. There is a staggering amount of variety in what Official content has to be removed in one person's installed MSFS but does not apply to another person's.

This is obviously the most buggy and hopeless BETA ever in the history of MSFS. I predict it cannot be fixed by Asobo in a month because there is just too many variables in what works for one person's installed content does not work for another. I think it would take an army of Asobo programmers and testers 3 months to sort through all the permutations and possibilities. 

Well, that's really the point of the beta in the first place. There's no way that Asobo can test all the possible permutations of add-ons, but they do have an army of testers at their disposal - us! Unleashing the code on thousands of beta testers, while painful, is the most effective (any only?) realistic way to unearth conflicts like this. But if you are on the battlefield, you need to be prepared to get shot.

It's not a surprise that there are a ton of conflicts and bugs - bugs are proportional to features, and there is a ton of new stuff.

31 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I predict most of the excellent improvements seen so far in SU11 will no longer be there at the big Anniversary edition on November 11. Some features will have been removed because they are not stable enough throughout the user base. Especially the Xbox users.

Certainly possible they'll need to pair a few things back - but you'd be surprised how often a single issue can cause five seemingly unrelated problems, and how quickly those things can all be resolved once the common thread is uncovered. I think I'd rather have them be ambitious and scale back if needed, rather than not attempt these improvements in the first place.

Fingers crossed they resolve as much as possible - with our help!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'm getting some very interesting (in a good way) weather around UK and Ireland

Ahaaa. Excellent!

very nice.

More info on new atmospheric airflow/thermals simulation & visualizations, howto guide, etc: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/guide-how-to-test-the-new-airflow-visualization/549454 .. looks like even more visualizations and data are available when using Options->Debug Weather vs the visualization available from the weather toolbar.

The following affects the rising and falling air

• Position of the sun (Day of year, time of day, location)
  • Temperature
  • Wind speed
  • Clouds
  • Albedo (Colors) of the satellite imagery
  • Trees
  • Water
  • Scenery
  • Terrain slope

The sim calculates the solar radiation in watts (factoring in clouds). It checks the albedo (colors) in the satellite imagery and uses them to determine how much the ground\surface should be heated, which can result in rising air. That rising air is an input into the larger atmospheric flow simulation, along with the wind, resulting in air that is moving in various directions, including downward over cooler terrain. Everything in the scene now affects the wind: Terrain, buildings, trees.

When flying during the summer (or near the equator), you should generally see purple and blue lines over water and open fields, and a combination of teal, green, purple and blue lines over cities. This combination results in thermal turbulence as the air hits the various surfaces of your plane at different speeds and angles.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As the forum post author observes, interesting and cool how the airflow/wind is choppy over the buildings/trees and then smoother out over the gently sloping hills

spacer.png

Another example from OP: In this scenario (manual weather, exaggerated conditions), you can see an extreme thermal example. The air is being pulled down the side of a large hill that is in shadow towards an area that is being heated by the sun:

spacer.png

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD