Sign in to follow this  
elee

Poor Performance with NVIDIA 4090

2 hours ago, GCBraun said:

So, first results with the 13700K and 4090 that replaced my 12700 and 3090 with my usual test-scenario (SU10, DX12@4K@mostly Ultra, KJFK, 31L, 12:00, Overcast, PSTX+RT Traffic, Fenix A320):

12700 + 3090

5FMEkj6.jpg

13700K + 4090

2MFvEnm.jpg

So, without DLSS3 and using SU10, the gains are around 25%, even though I did have more live traffic on my second test.

Other games and benchmarks that I've tested tell a different story (50% and sometimes over 100% increase on performance), so I am quite happy with this upgrade.

I also use PSTX+RT Traffic and my tests are in KJFK. We must recognize that PSTX+RT Traffic puts in real heavy traffic (Real) which causes FPS to plummet to around 20 and 25 without DLSS3. Already with DLSS3 in my case it goes up to double 40 or 50 FPS. But if we remove PSTX+RT Traffic, it goes up to 90 or 120 FPS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

7 minutes ago, elee said:

I also use PSTX+RT Traffic and my tests are in KJFK. We must recognize that PSTX+RT Traffic puts in real heavy traffic (Real) which causes FPS to plummet to around 20 and 25 without DLSS3. Already with DLSS3 in my case it goes up to double 40 or 50 FPS. But if we remove PSTX+RT Traffic, it goes up to 90 or 120 FPS.

Is anyone finally able to record a video? I would like to see DLSS3 with Heavy traffic on heavy airport.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB RAM 5200MHz, Asus Prime B650+, 850W PSU

English is not my first language.

47 minutes ago, GSalden said:

It’s the Live Traffic. Although it is updated 30x per sec MSFS can’t make them appear completely smooth.

The 4090 indeed is more powerful than the 3090. Will give you 7/8% more fps in TAA mode. However when using DLSS 3 it doubles the framerate of the output frames.

My 12900K is now the culprit …

It's like a dog chasing its tail -- and can never catch it tail -- you upgrade the video card, and now you could upgrade the cpu.

A constant FS truism over the year:  We all want flight sim Nirvana and it always seems so elusive...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

39 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Setup=>enable frame rate limiter. Then framerate limit = 120 in the main window. Not getting any of the stutters and stuff that Digital Foundry got with v-sync doing it this way. 

Btw, have you got your 4090 up and running?

Actually, now that we have high frames, I think I will just revert to G-sync, as it gives by far far far the smoothest experience available. I only stopped due to dips below 40fps on my Lg-C1, casuing LFC to kick in, but that should no longer be an issue with DLLS3! So, another win there...! Do not have to mess about fixing frames that way either. DX12 with G-sync and high but even fluctuation frames = heaven. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, altenae said:

Is the stuttering a sync issue (VSYNC etc.) ?

Some fps will also get eaten by the video capture itself. It's not insignificant either, especially if recording at high quality, hi-res, hi-fps. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

49 minutes ago, rutra said:

Is anyone finally able to record a video? I would like to see DLSS3 with Heavy traffic on heavy airport.

Tried, didn't go down too well. Think I've elaborated on it somewhere (just can't remember where, lol). 

Even a 1080p video capture will keep hammering away at the poor mainthread in these already marginal scenarious. I can't make it work properly without an external video card. 

The videos (Fenix, EGLL, KLAX) are in a thread over in the monitor subforum. I think. Just take it with a grain/bucket of salt as the capture introduces stuttering that is not there in the sim. So basically it's pretty useless. 

27 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Actually, now that we have high frames, I think I will just revert to G-sync, as it gives by far far far the smoothest experience available. I only stopped due to dips below 40fps on my Lg-C1, casuing LFC to kick in, but that should no longer be an issue with DLLS3! So, another win there...! Do not have to mess about fixing frames that way either. DX12 with G-sync and high but even fluctuation frames = heaven. 

Yup. G-sync to prevent tearing below max refresh rate, then RTSS frame limiter to prevent tearing above max Hz. I find that's the best solution. IMO of course. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

22 minutes ago, Mace said:

It's like a dog chasing its tail -- and can never catch it tail -- you upgrade the video card, and now you could upgrade the cpu.  A constant FS truism over the year:  We all want flight sim Nirvana and it always seems so elusive...

That is an apt analogy.  I think it is driven by the priorities one has driving their decision processes.  And of course their personal criteria for what constitutes Nirvana for them.  There is a steady supply of software addons and features that people can't wait to install and implement and this taxes their previously capable system to the point hardware upgrades become the main path forward, ad infinitum, more or less.  It's a hobby in itself, much like building forts or playing army with toy soldiers was when I was a wee lad:  the fun was in the building.  Once it was all done, interest began to wane.  For me FS is different in this aspect:  I fly primarily to try my hardest to score well on APLv2's scoring feature, roughly monitoring my piloting skills.  This provides that "purpose" such that it continues to satisfy or frustrate as is the case now w/ this plane as I am having a hard time landing w/ the requisite FPM and g-forces to stop triggering penalties!  

With the current BEST visuals MSFS can offer anyone regardless of hardware, I'm already there pretty much.  Upgrading my CPU is a possibility, and that only to allow better attenuation of perf degradation at arrival airports.  It's a lot better already in this regard but it seems 7900x or 13900K will largely fix this remaining area for me.  If n when Asobo amps up the quality of cloud depiction or satellite imagery that may change the picture for everyone.  I sure hope they do as I would have no qualms about upgrading to the best possible hardware to allow for this.  But that isn't happening now and it is not in sight that I know of.

I have regained nearly 100% flawless stutter-free animation once again after a few months of loss of that.  I already have "smooth" per my perception and the only animations that ever stand out to me are the now rare stutters.  I just now TO at FT's KLAS in the PMDG 738 with a lot of RT online traffic (w/ ST's funky liveries), but it wasn't too heavy for my settings which are maxed save TLOD which was at 100:  I saw maybe 2 really short hitch/stutters from gate to altitude.  They were so subtle as to be irrelevant anyway.   As is always the case landing will be a slightly different story but since it's KRNO it may be flawless, we'll see in a few minutes.

So I'm pretty much already in Nirvana with the only caveat being I'd really like to avoid the frequent but minor loss of perf at the arrival airport.  Right now it's well better than it's ever been and DX12 may be helping with that.  I wonder if there is more optimization of DX12 coming... 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, elee said:

I have setup my amount of parked ac in PSXT in the way that at major hubs with bad weather I stay at 31 minimum.

For EHAM that means 44 parked ac + Live Traffic,

I remember when using my 7940x cpu I had parked ac at major hubs limited to 25 parked ac.

Calculating all AI ac seperately with moving parts put a heavy load on the cpu.

What is good about DLSS3 is that it doubles the frames by putting ai frames between the real frames. That reduces small stutters and jitters by half. So the PSXT ac are moving quiet smooth now.

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Some fps will also get eaten by the video capture itself. It's not insignificant either, especially if recording at high quality, hi-res, hi-fps. 

Have you seen any difference between

DLSS = DLAA or

DLSS = Quality?

I cannot identify any difference between the two. What do you think is the best alternative?

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

11 minutes ago, elee said:

Have you seen any difference between

DLSS = DLAA or

DLSS = Quality?

I cannot identify any difference between the two. What do you think is the best alternative?

TAA = best image quality. Can be combined with frame generation = double fps. 

DLAA: Quite good image quality but jagged edges

DLSS Quality: More blurry than TAA and DLAA

DLSS Performance: Too blurry on my 4K OLED

As I'm not GPU-limited with the 4090, I don't see any need for DLSS. Hence: TAA + frame generation. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

TAA = best image quality. Can be combined with frame generation = double fps. 

DLAA: Quite good image quality but jagged edges

DLSS Quality: More blurry than TAA and DLAA

DLSS Performance: Too blurry on my 4K OLED

As I'm not GPU-limited with the 4090, I don't see any need for DLSS. Hence: TAA + frame generation. 

If I use DLSS + GF Exoeruence filters where I also set sharpness to 10% the framerate stays the same and the image is much sharper…

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

36 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If I use DLSS + GF Exoeruence filters where I also set sharpness to 10% the framerate stays the same and the image is much sharper…

Agree. DLSS quality is not bad at all with a bit of sharpening added. I recommend trying TAA + frame generation though. 

Happy with the 4090 so far? I know, you've only had it up and running for a short while. 

I just configured TAA + Frame Generation. Excellent result. I must update that previously I had to use V-Sync, but I noticed that the stutter continued after a while and I realized that it was all because of an excel file with a macro that runs every minute. It was on my same CPU and after a while it caused tremendous stutters.

I have already removed her from here and now things are very smooth. Anyway. now without Vsync, without limits of FPS, TAA, FG, everything in Ultra.

NOTE: By the way, did you see the problem of the cables of the 4090 that supposedly catch fire? Be careful with that, it seems that it can be from breaking the cable too much from the connector.

• Like 2

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

14 minutes ago, elee said:

NOTE: By the way, did you see the problem of the cables of the 4090 that supposedly catch fire? Be careful with that, it seems that it can be from breaking the cable too much from the connector.

You mean Jayz video? I started to watch it last night but feel asleep at some stage. Ok, so not too much strain on the cable. Have a fire extinguisher nearby perhaps?

Edited by Cpt_Piett

remenber? Smoke on the Water + I'm on fire + The heat is on + The pressure is high - on NVidia:

spacer.png

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-users-report-nvidia-rtx-4090-gpus-with-melted-16-pin-power-connectors

this could be a solution: CableMod 12VHPWR Right Angle Adapter

spacer.png

won't be too long for RTX 4090 rev.2

Edited by turbomax
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.