Sign in to follow this  
elee

Poor Performance with NVIDIA 4090

Hello, guys, with all the enthusiasm in the world, this weekend I have changed my old AMD 5770 xt GPU for the monster of the moment, the Nvidia 4090.

However, the disappointment could not be greater. I don't get adequate performance and I dare say it's almost worse than what I had with my old GPU.

The tests that I have carried out are in factory airports such as KJFK, KBOS, KLAX, with heavy air traffic. And I can't get past 20 FPS. Stuttering is horrible, things I didn't have with my old GPU. When I remove the air traffic from the airports, I manage to get up to 30 FPS, but this doesn't make any sense. Seeing in the headlights the performance of other colleagues with a 4090, they exceed 60 FPS. The strangest thing is that the GPU almost never exceeds 10% load, the temperature stays below 50 C. The CPU also stays below 10% and low temperatures.

Another interesting thing is that it doesn't make any difference to FPS in an Ultra or Low mode. The change of the LOD or Objects between 10 and 400 is not so significant either.

Please, I know you are quite tech savvy and can you help me identify if any of my settings are wrong, eg monitor resolution vs GPU etc.

Software

- MSFS 2020 version 1.29.22.0 (Beta)

MSFS Configuration

- Display Mode = Full Screen

- Full Screen Resolution = 3840x1080

- AA= NVidia DLSS Super Resolution

- NVidia DLSS SR = Quality

-AMD FidelityFX = 50

- V-Sync = OFF

- NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency = ON

- HDR10 = ON

- Directx V. = DX12 (Beta)

-Global Rendering Quality = ULTRA

- Terrain Level = 200

- Item Level = 200

Samsung 49 Inch Curved Monitor

- 3080x1080

- FreeSync = OFF

- Refresh Rate = 144Hz

NVIDIA Gigabyte 4090 Card

- Driver = 522.25 Geforce Game Ready Driver

- IMPORTANT: I have only connected 3 of the 4 power supply connectors. My power supply is 850 W and it doesn't have another additional connector, but I understand that you only need 3 at least and that the fourth one is for OC issues.

Computer hardware I'm not going to go into much detail, but I can guarantee you that everything is state-of-the-art.

- CPU = i9 – 11900k @3.50Ghz

- RAM = 64 Gb

- Power Supply = ASUS 850 W

- Motherboard = ASUS Maximus Hero XIII

Windows

- version 11 Home with daily updates

- Game Mode = OFF

- Virtual memory enabled as per recommended guides

• Like 1

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

I'm at work and don't have time to respond in detail, BUT my main point would be that you are cpu bound.  This will inhibit what top-end you can see.

Also, give it a couple of sessions and see if your performance doesn't improve.  I noticed that with my 1080ti to 3080ti upgrade.  I don't know if shaders get rebuilt or what goes on.

• Like 5

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 minutes ago, elee said:

- IMPORTANT: I have only connected 3 of the 4 power supply connectors. My power supply is 850 W and it doesn't have another additional connector, but I understand that you only need 3 at least and that the fourth one is for OC issues.

Hi, from where do you have this information?

I have the same card and had to buy new power supply as my existing one had also 'only' 850W' but with all four connectors attached. The card slowed down and stuttered periodically when its utilization went above 60%

16 minutes ago, elee said:

However, the disappointment could not be greater

I've said it a million times: throwing expensive hardware at MSFS isn't going to do much. 

People don't believe me. People continue to waste money at overpriced hardware. Nvidia thanks you. 

• Like 18
  • Upvote 6

In my opinion You need a least PSU 1000W. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB RAM 5200MHz, Asus Prime B650+, 850W PSU

English is not my first language.

It's almost invariably the simmers with ultra high-end systems who report all the performance problems, because they overdo all their graphics settings by a mile, believing they shouldn't have to compromise after their expensive purchase.

• Like 17
  • Upvote 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Running a 4090 (or even a 3090) at 1080p is not the best use of this card.  At this resolution, and using the same processor as your previous GPU, I wouldn't expect much of a fps boost.

• Like 4

It's 1080p vertical but double horizontally at 3840 so the 4090 should do just fine.

But this worries me a bit...

57 minutes ago, elee said:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

59 minutes ago, Mace said:

I'm at work and don't have time to respond in detail, BUT my main point would be that you are cpu bound.  This will inhibit what top-end you can see.

Also, give it a couple of sessions and see if your performance doesn't improve.  I noticed that with my 1080ti to 3080ti upgrade.  I don't know if shaders get rebuilt or what goes on.

Can use Disk Cleanup to delete the DX shade cache files.  Yes, CPU bound beyond belief.  Plus, he's at 3.6Ghz and depending on turbo boost.  Why not o/c all cores to 5.0Ghz?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

My GTX 1070 and i7 4790k running at 30 FPS (mostly) is smirking in the corner....

joke

• Like 7

Thomas Derbyshire

It's likely something in your community folder, the plane you are using, and/or SU11 (Beta) having a conflict or bug.

There are three things we need to know to offer you any advice that doesn't involve power supply guesses or NVIDIA bashing.

1. Take a photo of your community folder and post it, or at the least list everything that's in there.

2. Go into the game and once you are in the scenario where you see poor performance turn on Developer Mode (Esc-Settings-General-Developers-Developer Mode ON).  When that screen comes up there are three timings you need to note: Mainthread, rndrthread, and GPU.  Note the miliseconds for each.

3. Open task manager and show us a list of processes that are running while you are in this scenario to make sure nothing is hogging resources. Of course be careful not to screenshot any sensitive or personal information both in your community folder and task manager.

Most likely one of your mods or planes is conflicting but rending 3.3 million megapixels with the 4090 is like driving a Ferrari on the 405 at rush hour and expecting to get your destination sooner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

My GTX 1070 and i7 4790k running at 30 FPS (mostly) is smirking in the corner....

joke

You almost got me HAHA

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

6 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

joke

Same hardware here as @sidfadc. Same smirk. Most people overdo their graphics settings.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.