Sign in to follow this  
CarlHill

2 years in, not many regional aircraft still

21 minutes ago, Doering said:

As a side note - stumbled upon this video a little while back - Incredible foresight Arthur C Clarke predicts the internet in 1964

Some of the great Sci Fi writers were often very insightful and skilled at seeing where technology was headed, but they had a lot of insight partly because they thought about it all the time, it was their job to think about it. That said, that guy was obviously incredibly intelligent.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Floppy disks were too futuristic, I started from tapes.

TI-99/4A Memories -- Loading From Cassette - YouTube

I think I owned that exact model of tape recorder.

Had to put masking tape on the volume control so you wouldn't over or under modulate the sound to get a good load lol. 

The computer looks like a TI-99 which I also had.

Couldn't afford the hard drive that paired with it, I think it was a 40 MB (yes, MB) that sold for $499.

• Like 2

I agree with the OP. Good quality regional airplanes would be great. With the analog king air cockpit, the 1900 would be great.

Lack of regionals, especially turboprop (and DC-3) are the reason no msfs for me for several months. They are all I ever flew in FSX.

Edited by desbean
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CarlHill said:

If FSX was really the base for this, like Asobo claims, then why so hard to convert our beloved FSX/P3D aircraft?

It is not that hard, and the result with a bit of tweaking is usually acceptable as freeware. A good example is the original Grumman Goose port that was freeware.

However the same "converted" aircraft sold as payware will usually get hammered on the main forums for being "too FSX" with sub standard sounds, textures etc etc compared to more modern releases and accused of being a "ripoff".  basically, porting your FSX aircraft to MSFS and then selling it as a payware addon needs a lot more "custom MSFS" development time than you might initially think.

Wait like FSX default planes, or just old payware addon planes?

The FSX default planes were garbage compared to what we have in MSFS.

Who would want to sit on the floor of the FSX Learjet 45 conversion in MSFS?🤣

Developers are just better off tossing those outdated FSX MDLs and starting from scratch for MSFS.🤮

bombardier-learjet-45_9703bc648a56350978

Edited by blueshark747
  • Upvote 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

The -146 is an incredibly good regional airliner.  I just use it on routes it used to fly rather than worrying too much about the small number of current operators.

I’m anxiously awaiting a Q400 though…

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

PMDG 736 will be the best regional you can get in MSFS for a very long time at its price point and what's available. Not even close.

1 hour ago, jbdbow1970 said:

PMDG 736 will be the best regional you can get in MSFS for a very long time at its price point and what's available. Not even close.

I don't know, I've had too many issues with the 737-600 lately. The FMC stops taking my edits, the brake gets stuck, the plane runs out of fuel mysteriously, gravity starts pulling the plane towards the ground when I should have plenty of forward momentum. I re-installed it, but it's the same thing. It doesn't happen all the time, but happens enough. This is with failures turned off.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I dont normally fly anything bigger than a light twin, but Ill probably get the SWS Dash 7 when it comes out, it looks like it will be well done and hand flying into  interesting airfields is something I enjoy. Not really into the modern systems and comprehensive automation.

12 hours ago, Dillon said:

The question in the original thread harkens back to the question we asked about Corporate Jets.  The only long-range corporate jets offered for MSFS since its release is the PMDG BBJ and the Longitude.  Enough already with the short-range jets we need some options with longer legs.  Totally agree with the topic of this thread and as always, some developers are wondering why their products aren't selling.  Do market research and give the people what they want, then you'll make a killing profit wise.:ph34r:

I think they have done their market research and have concluded that there is little viable demand for a long range business jet.

Reluctantly, if you want long range in a biz jet you'll have to use the default (modded) longitude or the BBJ from PMDG.

Ditto in terms of regional airliners.

OTOH, every 5 minutes someone releases another rust bucket.

I'd settle for a Piper Malibu Meridian PA-46 (the M 500 version) with the G 1000 NXi

Or a Piaggio P 180.

Basically, what we are seeing is the boring stuff: Boeing, Airbus, Cessnas, etc.

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 1

I love regionals airliners as they represent my favourite type of flying; doing shorter legs between 45 mins and 2 hours means I'm kept busy. The smaller airports are more likely to have interesting approaches. The lower cruising altitudes (for turboprops anyway) allow more enjoyment of the scenery. Less automation makes for more challenging flying.

Sadly it seems my thoughts are not shared by the majority of the study-level userbase, I think for a few reasons:

1. Not as automated (most regionals lack autothrottle and some don't have VNAV); I think a lot "study level" users lack confidence/ability to fly without full automatics.
  2. Not as common place IRL vs an A320 or 737 and more choice in the size bracket leading to fragmented interest. Fewer people are familiar with E145, E190, Q400, DH8C, CRJ9, AT42, AT72, S340, JS41, Do328, AN-148, SU-100, A220 etc.
  3. Perceived to be "not as cool" compared to heavies like A380 and 747
  4. Lack sufficient range to do longer legs where suer leave the controls to watch a film, cooker dinner, do work etc. Or others who want the thrill of going between continents.

At the moment we've got the Aerosoft CRJ-200 and BAe 146 (soon to be joined by Avro RJ) all of which are being retired now. I think Carenado might port their Saab 340 if they haven't already but will likely lack an FMS. We really are lacking current generational regionals, especially turboprops.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

38 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

We really are lacking current generational regionals, especially turboprops.

At some point, we're apparently going to get both an ATR 42-600 and a 72-600 from Asobo and another set of the same types from Blackbird Simulations (Milviz).
The Avro RJ is on approach from JustFlight. There are still 31 BAe 146s and 42 Avro RJs buzzing around various parts of the World.

Everything else announced that is regional-sized, I consider a little bit suspect. Especially the freeware.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Any high end rendition will be popular. Thing is, as someone said at the very beginning of this thread, that there is nothing to port over from other platforms, hence, it will be a long long time until a beast of this nature will appear in msfs, if one ever will.

@ha5mvo I wish that were true. But you only need to look at the file library at Avsim to see that isn't the case; how many repaint downloads have there been for any payware regional jet vs 737 or A320 on the MSFS/P3D platform? Same goes for any non-current or niche aircraft (such as PMDG MD-11 and JS41, even the Flight1 ATR which is the probably the most common 50-70 seat airliner in service in the West will pale-in-comparison vs PMDG 77W).

Edited by ckyliu
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg