Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

First "Heavy" for MSFS?

3 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

I probably am wrong but how do we determine as what is a long haul, mid haul or a short haul? its never be explained to me that clear. Some folks using MSFS want to fly fore a half of day (and Me too) can't do it yet in MSFS because of lack of planes. QW 787 PMDG 777 where are you.

The best way to determine the difference between the three is to use the most widely accepted definition in the real world.  That's the ICAO and IATA.  I linked the chart summing it up above in page 2 of this thread.  I really would love to see the 777 and 747-400 sooner rather than later also.  787 is a little meh for me however.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

27 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

These planes are awful while using Vatsim going across the ocean. its a complete joke. 747 cost me 60$ U.S. and if I want the 787 (which is bad) another 60$ U.S.

When used with the relevant mods - Saltys for the 747, the Heavy Division Mod for the 787 - neither is "awful". 

15 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

I understand your post but MS bought the A310 from Inibuilds. Loung hauls for me, mean fly from Los Angeles to Dubai (16 hrs) something the A310 did not in real life. but a 777-2 or 787-9 did. Trust me I have not paid for the MSFS premium upgrade until they fix the 787. I enjoy Fenix. PMDG and Maddog Blackbird C310 for now.

If I remember correctly, Air Transat used to fly their A310 planes from Toronto to Madrid - which is a 4,000 mile distance - this is long haul. As others have said, what you mean is ultra long haul, i.el., Singapore to New York, or what not. 

In addition, can someone please correct the misleading thread title?

4 minutes ago, micstatic said:

787 is a little meh for me however.  

Huh , what? the 787 flew further than the 777 and 747 only topped off by the A350 last year in 2022..

Edited by jbdbow1970

I fly the heavies on simulated crew training and engineering/ ETOPS re validation flights up and down the UK, completely realistic.

I’ve done some real world ultra long haul and have no desire to ever repeat the experience either in the sim or real world.

• Like 3

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

11 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Huh , what? the 787 flew further than the 777 and 747 only topped off by the A350 last year in 2022..

meh meaning my interest.  Not the range

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 minutes ago, micstatic said:

meh meaning my interest.  Not the range

Good to know, thank God you are not the majority. 787 is more popular than the 777 and 747 and I love the 777 personal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Good to know, thank God you are not the majority. 787 is more popular than the 777 and 747 and I love the 777 personal.

I like planes that are a blend of the old generation and modern. So often I find the 787 too automatic and easy. But I agree. Most prefer the newest planes. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, micstatic said:

I like planes that are a blend of the old generation and modern. So often I find the 787 too automatic and easy. But I agree. Most prefer the newest planes. 

Good to know I'm not here to argue sir. Good day but we really need something better in MSFs (long range) other than the A310.

4 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I like planes that are a blend of the old generation and modern

Not a “heavy” but I think the upcoming justflight BAe RJ should be right in our shared sweet spot. 

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Just to throw it out there, the max range of the A310 is around 5100nm so it can certainly fly a long way.  It’s also a wide body and classified as a “heavy” for ATC purposes.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

we really need something better in MSFs (long range) other than the A310.

I fail to understand what it is you are waiting for. 

You have, in the default planes section, no less than 3 long-haul planes. Two of those can do ultra long haul. 

I strongly suggest you try those out while waiting for someone to release something in the distant future. 

In short:

Long-haul: Airbus A310

Long-haul/ultra long-haul: 747 with Saltys Mod

Long-haul/ultra long-haul: 787-10 with the Heavy Division Mod

• Upvote 1

If you really want to see what flying a really long haul flight is like ( which I have done back in my FSX days), get a board , apply a couple of coats of paint, and carefully watch the paint dry. 😉

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, Zangoose said:

The next heavy is probably the PMDG 777 - Unless like an early version of the FBW A380 is released to the public before then.

Seeing how struggling PMDG is just to release a 737 variant after having already released three others, I don't see this 777 coming any time soon.

Little has been mentioned, but there's a good chance that TFDi MD-11 will be the first, which already has a planned release date for late September, going early access two months earlier for pre-release buyers.

Also little mentioned, Aerosoft's A330, which may also be released even before the MD-11

I agree that FBW could surprise with the A380 being released before everyone else, but I don't hold my breath for that to happen. People in my community are already starting to treat this A380 as a 'fantasy' and that it will suffer the same fate as 99% of freeware projects.

QW forget it. That 787 has indeed become a fantasy. Now the only way is to hope that another developer appears willing to bring a high quality 787.

Edited by edu2703
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Noel said:

I'm banking on PMDG 777, but the default B78X w/ Heavy Division Mod is decent but not study level at all but the basics work, LNAV/VNAV and I think can autoland though have yet to try it.  And I understand the default B747 w/ the Salty Simulations Mod which installs from the same FlyByWire installer FSLTL uses has become quite good.  I've not used it but am determined to soon!  I'm loathing migrating to Airbus so this may help me postpone that move even more!

Just embrace it and we will be happy to welcome you to the light side of the force. 😉🙃

Edited by BuboBubo