Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

TrackIR

21 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

You can get it to kick in if you really need to.

But to do so you need to also fire up the trackIR mouse emulation app "TIRMouse.exe" from the trackIR folder, and I am pretty sure that means you are using a default profile which is not really suited to flightsims (one of the reason new users struggle is the default profile, downloading the "Seth" profile for flightsims makes a massive difference) .

The only time I close Track IR app is when I restart PC, which is maybe once a week or two. As soon as PC boots up, I click  the Track IR app to start it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you are still trying to decide between TIR and TOBII this hardcore simmer (OVERKILL) is now onboard with the TOBII.:

sp

2 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

If you are still trying to decide between TIR and TOBII this hardcore simmer (OVERKILL) is now onboard with the TOBII.:

sp

As soon as I heard him say you could win a Tobi 5 seconds in to the video, I switched it off. Clearly another biased review. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

As soon as I heard him say you could win a Tobi 5 seconds in to the video, I switched it off. Clearly another biased review. 

He said he really wanted to dislike it.  LOL

I can see why he couldnt because it is awesome.  Im using his settings.

sp

After using TrackIR for nearly 15 years (kudos to their QC, that thing just went on and on!), I switched to Tobii a couple of weeks ago and after going through some teething trouble, I’m loving it.

I think they’re missing a trick on their collaboration though, as the eye tracking would be a great opportunity to introduce foveated rendering and boost performance, but otherwise, it’s a great alternative to TrackIR.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

10 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

If you are still trying to decide between TIR and TOBII this hardcore simmer (OVERKILL) is now onboard with the TOBII.

To be fair, this is a decent review that actually looks critically at some of the features (skip to 14:17 if you don't care about 'unboxing' and how to stick it to your monitor). Crucially, it is the only review I have seen to date that actually demonstrates what eye tracking does in MSFS, although it is frustrating that he spends so little time on this. His settings make the eye tracking component very subtle (90% head tracking, eye tracking sensitivity 35%), but he shows just enough to make me wonder if it actually might add value. I had the Tobii eyeX when it first came out, and back then it used eye tracking only for FSX, which was useless. From the brief demo given here it looks like the eye-to-view algorithm is pretty much the same as the eyeX, but perhaps it makes more sense as a subtle overlay to what is essentially a head tracker.

To answer another question that came up earlier, it looks like the settings are more comprehensive in the Tobii Experience app, which you need to interface to some apps (notably DCS, he says here). It looks like you do have response curves for at least some of the sensitivities, although it also looks like they are simple symmetrical logarithmic curves, rather than completely editable like in TrackIR. But more importantly, it seems we don't have this option in MSFS unless Asobo write it in. (Perhaps there is a way to disable the native MSFS support and use Tobii Experience instead?)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

He also makes the point that these devices are most useful during tax, takeoff and landing.  Not so much when fiddleing in the cockpit.

I fly in external view alot and the Tobii is a good fit because the eye and tracball controll are a great match.

The big con is price but hey its a hobby.

sp

13 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

He also makes the point that these devices are most useful during tax, takeoff and landing.  Not so much when fiddleing in the cockpit.

I fly in external view alot and the Tobii is a good fit because the eye and tracball controll are a great match.

The big con is price but hey its a hobby.

sp

I guess what puzzles me, having used Track IR for well over 15 years, and never found that it couldn't do anything I wanted to do, what would be the point of getting something else. My guess is that the majority of simmers, using head tracking are using Track IR and most likely will continue to use Track IR, unless they just like buying things. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

That’s why the TrackIR pause key is so important.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That’s why the TrackIR pause key is so important.

Yes, without a pause key, a head tracking app  is useless. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agreed. I have my Tobii Eyetracker pause key mapped to a button labelled Start/Stop on the X52 Pro throttle base. To re-centre it, I press the Reset button, just below. Almost made for the job.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

23 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

The big thing about Tobii has nothing to do with TIR.    Its all about tracking the eyss.

sp

From what I have seen it has options to track the eyes or do head tracking. Mine comes in this week and im curious to see if I like it. I have tried track IR in the past but I just hate wearing things. So I sold it and migrated to open track with a web cam, it is nowhere as good as track ir but it does the job (even though you constantly have to reset it). I took the dive in tobii this week and we will see if its better. If not it will go back. If you don't mind wearing things on your head trackir is perfect but I despise even headphones

Edited by charliearon
to put post below the quote

24 minutes ago, Victors Valiant said:

From what I have seen it has options to track the eyes or do head tracking. Mine comes in this week and im curious to see if I like it. I have tried track IR in the past but I just hate wearing things. So I sold it and migrated to open track with a web cam, it is nowhere as good as track ir but it does the job (even though you constantly have to reset it). I took the dive in tobii this week and we will see if its better. If not it will go back. If you don't mind wearing things on your head trackir is perfect but I despise even headphones

Yes, just to clarify - Tobii's eye tracking is based on the eyes moving in their sockets, while the head tracking is based on where the eyes are moved to when the head moves. Think of your eyeballs as being the reflectors, as on a TrackIR hat clip. 🤩

• Upvote 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

If anyone is interested in picking up a Tobii - the Ausflightsimmer YouTube channel has published a review and links to a giveaway for a Tobi eye tracker and has a 15% off deal for subscribers.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick