Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

Is Frame Generation Good For MSFS?

1 hour ago, craigeaglefire said:

very impressive fps results with frame generation on,

does using the frame generation introduce any graphical artifacts/anomalies?

Really only if you don't have a gsysnc compatible monitor.  A few people here said they have 4k tvs but are no gysnc compatible but they did not notice anything.  

When I have a fps that is significantly less than my refresh rate of 144hz I do get some flickers if it's a dark scene like heavy overcast etc.  That typically occurs with lots of intense addons when using TAA.  If I use dlss I rarely see the flickering.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'll be a good test candidate.  I have my 4090.  But haven't had a chance to install it yet.  My screen is a 4K samsung tv that is native 60hz but capable of going down to 24hz.   EDIT: However it is not gsync compatible. 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I'm also considering getting the 4090 soon with a new system but can't seem to nail down a good 4K monitor yet... given that I also do photography I really need a monitor that has good native support or emulation of both wide-gamut and SRGB color spaces, and those monitors all tend to be 60Hz whereas all the good gsync ones don't seem to have these various color modes. Would I still reap the benefits of the 4090 and frame generation with MSFS if I stick to a 60Hz non-gsync monitor? Would I need to enable frames-limiting and/or vsync?

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Would I still reap the benefits of the 4090 and frame generation with MSFS if I stick to a 60Hz non-gsync monitor?

Yes, I would definitely say so. I am using a 55" TV @ 60 Hz exclusively. nobody needs really more than constant 60 Hz for MSFS, just watch the official MSFS trailers: all 60 fps. TV and movies don't run higher than 60 Hz, and MSFS is (fortunately) no ego shooter, where you might  want more than that.

• Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

18 minutes ago, micstatic said:

capable of going down to 24hz.

Why would you ever?! Whatever floats your boat, but that is just headache inducing. 

20 minutes ago, turbomax said:

TV and movies don't run higher than 60 Hz, and MSFS is (fortunately) no ego shooter, where you might  want more than that.

And here is why I disagree. Having tested and used both, at 120HZ the feeling of speed is much more apparent than at 60hz. So, yeah whilst TV and movies may be different, MSFS is no TV or movie 🙂 

In-fact if you look this up, there are lots of papers on it. But it is most definitely perceptible up to around 240HZ before you start to get diminishing returns. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

if you have a 60hz tv the max is 60 with new 120hz ones you see diff.

i have a older 60hz tv and 4090 and i dont see any difference , 

i run TAA- FA  tlod 400 and renderscale 150 , frame 59fps in riva tuner, unlocked the framerate is 80-70 never less then 65

i tune the settings with std 2800mhz gpu clock 1312mhz mem at london to get gpu load to 99% then applay my safe oc 

3100mhz gpu1500mhz mem it lower the gpu load to max 92% the boaed power draw is the same around 300-400W

i have a gpu temp of 38-40c and approx 10% faster card then a STD 4090

Edited by westman

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I'll be a good test candidate.  I have my 4090.  But haven't had a chance to install it yet.  My screen is a 4K samsung tv that is native 60hz but capable of going down to 24hz.   EDIT: However it is not gsync compatible. 

I'm eagerly awaiting your observations. I too use a 4K TV that is native 60hz but not gsync compatible, and I'm almost ready to buy the 4090. Please give us an update when possible about your experience. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

38 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

MSFS is no TV or movie

sure? 😀

what is important here and often overlooked:  if you have ultimately absolute constant frame times of 16.6 milliseconds resulting in 60 Hz I don't know if 120 fps would look noticeably smoother. It might do so only as long as it also keeps frame times constantly lower which at 120 fps it might. But you can run at 120 fps and still have more stutters that an 60 fps:

extreme example:  60 Hz lasts 16.6 milliseconds (1.000 milliseconds / 60)

if:

first frame lasts 2 ms

next frame lasts 31.2 ms  and again so forth

for a total of 2 frames in 33.2 milliseconds = equivalent to 60 fps ON AVERAGE.

and yet this would be awfully stuttering. because the first frame is equivalent to 500 fps, the second frame lasting 31.2 ms is equivalent to only 30 fps. in effect you would be alternating between 500 fps (2 ms)  and 30 fps (31.2 ms). I don't know if MSFS could even provide constant fps of only 8.2 ms = 120 Hz considering the other remaining non-graphic related tasks (atc, ai traffic, weather, flight model, scenery decoding etc).

If all MSFS trailers look absolutely fluent at "only" 60 Hz at constant frame times, there is nothing left to be desired for me.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

My 4090 is now on order and I have a 5K G-Sync Compatible ultrawide capable of 120hz at 5k or 144hz at 4k.  With my 3080 I lock it to 5k/60Hz because otherwise I got g-sync flashing.     

Interested to see what the 4090 does compared to the 3080 and if I land at 5k/120hz or remain at 5k/60 with no FPS drops (in theory...) 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

And here is why I disagree. Having tested and used both, at 120HZ the feeling of speed is much more apparent than at 60hz. So, yeah whilst TV and movies may be different, MSFS is no TV or movie 🙂 

In-fact if you look this up, there are lots of papers on it. But it is most definitely perceptible up to around 240HZ before you start to get diminishing returns. 

This isn't an FPS game.  Things are a lot different in a flight simulator.  Yes I have also spent a substantial amount of time studying up on this subject.  I'm not saying I run at 24hz.  However I've been able to get it to work happily in the past by using samsung judder reduction technology.  I fly airliners.  So I match my hardware to my mission.  I also do not chase frames.  I chase smoothness.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I'm running a Samsung Odyssey G9 since last year, runs great and looks fantastic with a 4090 or a 3090. I always used to chinse on the monitor, after having this one I won't do that again, what a difference. Otherwise, it's like buying a great amplifier and matching it with crappy speakers.

Edited by laserit

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I just completed a new PC build a few days ago aimed at flight simulation. i9 13900k and 4090. I can finally run my triple monitor set up with great frame rates. The 4090 cost me $1700 USD. So far it is worth it thanks to the frame generation. Right now, the CPU seems to be the bottleneck.

I did 2 other flight simulation builds with top hardware at the time. In 2009 and in 2017. This is the first build where I'm truly happy with performance and I think it comes down to the Frame Generations and 40xx series cards.

• Like 3

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

6 hours ago, micstatic said:

In that case you are a very good candidate to perform a particular comparison. Before you install your 4090 please make an observation of your MSFS experience with your 3090 as seen on your 4K Samsung TV with its built in frame generation active at 30hz (this gives you 60fps on screen) with your experience with your 4090 at the same settings, same scenario with DLSS3 active at 60hz (again giving you 60fps on screen). I haven't made such a comparison but my gut feeling based on my own experience and what I've read is that the former is better. Granted the 4090 is a more powerful card than the 3090 by about the usual margin that next gen cards are but I'm confident that DLSS3 is little more than moving the frame generation hardware from TV end of the HDMI cable to GPU end. Granted there is a bit of tweaking involved but I get a perfectly smooth 60fps on screen with virtually maxed out setting in most scenarios (and if not 48fps at 24hz) without reported blurring from DLSS3 on CDU's etc. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a 4090 but know that virtually the same performance leap granted by the 4090's frame generation is available to anyone with a lower generation card if they are using a modern TV with whats called Judder Reduction or something like that in TV settings menu.

If you want some direction in setting it up let me know.

Edited by FBW737

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

I'm also considering getting the 4090 soon with a new system but can't seem to nail down a good 4K monitor yet... given that I also do photography I really need a monitor that has good native support or emulation of both wide-gamut and SRGB color spaces, and those monitors all tend to be 60Hz whereas all the good gsync ones don't seem to have these various color modes. Would I still reap the benefits of the 4090 and frame generation with MSFS if I stick to a 60Hz non-gsync monitor? Would I need to enable frames-limiting and/or vsync?

As i am also Photographer & Visual Artist i strongly suggest this monitor:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3423dw

Best option if you want great results in Photography/Graphic design and MSFS 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition