Sign in to follow this  
cepact

it's been years still no long haul airliner

On 4/8/2023 at 4:57 AM, cepact said:

very disappointed at PMDG I was expecting the 777 last autumn and they didn't even finish the EFB for the 737. what is going on ?

Airbus 310

On 4/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, PBCool1 said:

Anyone who claims that Flight simulation is "Just a game" but yet spends money on study level aircraft...well you have a bit of explaining to do in my opinion.

What does he/she/we have to explain?

I spend loads on DLC and want the most realistic scenery airports aircraft possible but I’m still playing a game.

What's wrong with saying we’re playing a game, I play flightsim because it’s fun and I enjoy it, are you using it to study for a type rating or a sim check in your airline or something? 

I would use it for that but unfortunately it’s not realistic enough. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2023 at 11:05 PM, Stearmandriver said:

Much is made of this... Too much I think.  In the first place, there really isn't such a thing as "daytime" or "nighttime" weather.  Are there conditions that are more LIKELY to occur at a time of day?  Sure?  But many types of dynamics other than daytime heating can cause convective development for instance; there's outflow boundaries etc.  I mean, nighttime thunderstorms aren't unusual.  Neither is daytime fog, as there are more mechanisms than radiative cooling that cause fog. 

Those are just a couple examples of dozens.  There's not really anything "wrong", from a realism standpoint, with having any type of weather at any time of day in the sim.  And I mean, it's certainly easy enough to fix... If you arrive in lighting conditions you don't like for whatever reason, there's a very simple slider for that ;).

Without deviating too much from the topic - it certainly pertains to long haul flights-, I appreciate your statement Andrew (coming from the pro that you are), this flies in the face of a lot of objections raised regarding the absence of historic weather. As a former pilot myself, I can only agree with it.

Back to topic... before we start a storm!

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

On 4/8/2023 at 5:46 AM, Ron Attwood said:

You're supposed to go to bed during a long haul flight.

Just like real-life pilots! 😁

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

On 4/8/2023 at 9:46 AM, Ron Attwood said:

You're supposed to go to bed during a long haul flight.

2 hours ago, JDWalley said:

Just like real-life pilots! 😁

Depending on the airline, going to the sofa would be more realistic 😝

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

You know what guys. Isn't there enough unrest, sarcasm, rudeness, hate and any other negative adjectives being tossed around now?

Here's the deal. Anymore of this disrespect for a friend's site (RIP, TOM) and the hammer will fall. If it appears that I'm a bit out of sorts, you're right. I come here every day as much as an old man can and if you can't play nice then go elsewhere. I'm old, tired, and have had enough of this.

I love our members and Tom's legacy. 

Please be nice to each other and be respectful.

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

It's amazing to me how MSFS has been the buzz kill for long haul airplanes.  Besides the MD11, MSFS eliminated the P3D market; nothing else coming out and no DEV appears to be in a rush (or can figure out how) to get anything out for MSFS.

Besides that, long haul in MSFS stinks because of the broken (I don't care what they call it...it's broken) pause function that causes airplanes to go violently out of control upon resumption and fuel consumption during pause.  

Big deal...I get to buzz my house - sometimes with real WX, sometimes not.  If the server lets me on.

Edited by Dreamflight767

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

On 4/11/2023 at 7:58 PM, PBCool1 said:

Anyone who claims that Flight simulation is "Just a game" but yet spends money on study level aircraft...well you have a bit of explaining to do in my opinion.

I spend thousands of dollars a year maintaining a semi-vintage motorcycle and will happily admit it is just a toy.  I have a friend who spends a similar amount of money on golf. Golf is definitely a game.  Let's not even talk about model trains where just one scale live steam locomotive can cost $US10,000 .

Spending money does not make something a simulation.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2023 at 10:57 AM, cepact said:

very disappointed at PMDG I was expecting the 777 last autumn and they didn't even finish the EFB for the 737. what is going on ?

You won't get much from this community where the same culprits offer unhelpful, redundant solutions like "BBJs, Headwind A339 (with inaccurate flight dynamics, sub 130kt app speeds at MZFW and rocketing out of airports with only 82%N1 at MTOW) or  the monstrosities that are the Asobo's very own 748 and 78X (even after AAU2, still horrendously bad). 

I tried a B748 flight from PANC to YMML last night and scrapped it once I saw 4000fps climb after I cleaned up the flaps at MTOW. Not to mention the sharp and violent pitching up and down when it got to acceleration height. Both aircraft also seem to run into quicksand the moment it meets a turn while taxiing and finally...they still have not incorporated Simbrief integration.

Aside from advising you to do what I am currently doing which is to jump ship to X-Plane 11 or 12...The best suggestion anyone gave you was to try the A310. It is pretty darn good and the best freeware airliner but personally, I have PTSD flashbacks of all the chunky winged, fat, ugly rounded leading edge slats wings whenever I'm almost tempted to fly the iniBuilds A310 and Headwind A339.

If you don't wish to go to X-Plane, best bet is to stick with the SH Fenix or even better, the PMDG 737 family for now and forget the "simulator" exists when you need to scratch that HEAVY Long Haul, commercial operation itch. 

And yes, while the usual, toxic critters on here like to berate anyone who either doesn't share their silly, "put up and shut up" opinions, or openly and rightfully criticise any of the legacy developers for reasonable issues ( watch them crawl out the woodwork to defend these devs with their lives 😏),I too think the that it is bad that after 3 entire years, we do not have one, not one single quality, high fidelity LH HEAVY airliner to fly, let alone Study Level. Admittedly, I have no insight but I would think after years of selling each plane for £60 or more for longer than 15 years in the flight simulator world, certain devs would have increased the size of their teams and perhaps grown to more studios in order to meet the ever growing desperate demand for so many untouched airliners but academic intelligence and being really good at coding and software development doesn't necessarily equate to being business savvy. 

The best developers imho by a margin, are the boys over at FlyByWire who I really hope end up charging at least £50 for their A380.

-They give regular, consistent updates and do not work under secrecy only to scoff at speculation due to their lack of information shared with their own core customer base unlike certain legacy devs.

-Their work looks sublime and until now, far supercede anything I've seen from any legacy developer.

-Unlike most legacy devs, they haven't taken 3+ years to develop one airliner that at least one other dev is doing. 

-They've also decided to challenge themselves due to their genuine love for the community, to undertake one of the most difficult aurliners to model so I am once again even more hopeful and optimistic that they may also give us the first ever A340 to ever grace the MS side of simming.

So, with that said,  I for one will be donating very generously to the FBW team once the A380 has been released and any new developer who decides to challenge the status quo of waiting patiently for unnecessary lengths of time for one plane, only to have a new platform come out and the devs start from scratch all over again.

Can you taste the bitterness? 3 years aye? We won't even get a 747 until...hmm...maybe 2032 at this rate. Such are the Microsoft Theird part legacy devs....meanwhile at X-Plane...they have it all and they didn't need to wait years and years either. See you there? 🫡🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Coolieboy
  • Like 4

Leon Jackson

I just tried out the 78X with AAU2 on a IAD-DEN-EWR run. It's okay for a basic long haul but not much beyond that. The sounds in it leave a lot to be desired and for me, doesn't give me a sense of immersion. It almost sounds like a dishwasher running while at cruise. I've parked it and really don't plan on using it much anymore. Back to my PMDG 737 and FBW A320. I will wait for long haul until something like iniBuilds A300-600, PMDG 777 or the FBW A380 releases. I will have a look at the Aerosoft A330 but yeah.... 

Eric 

15 minutes ago, B777ER said:

The sounds in it leave a lot to be desired and for me, doesn't give me a sense of immersion. It almost sounds like a dishwasher running while at cruise.

FYI, you can always replace the sounds for a lot of the planes in MSFS. FTSim does a lot of sound packs: https://www.ftsimplus.com/msfs2020.html

Of course, FTSim will charge you for it.  But a lot of people were using FTSim to replace the Aerosoft Twin Otter sounds (before Aerosoft updated the Twin Otter sounds) and some people use it for the 787 too.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

13 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I just tried out the 78X with AAU2 on a IAD-DEN-EWR run. It's okay for a basic long haul but not much beyond that. The sounds in it leave a lot to be desired and for me, doesn't give me a sense of immersion. It almost sounds like a dishwasher running while at cruise. I've parked it and really don't plan on using it much anymore. Back to my PMDG 737 and FBW A320. I will wait for long haul until something like iniBuilds A300-600, PMDG 777 or the FBW A380 releases. I will have a look at the Aerosoft A330 but yeah.... 

Agree with what you said.

I really hope Quality wings comes "back" and releases their 787's for MSFS because there is still a lot to be desired with Asobo 78X.

Daniel

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC | CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D  | Memory : Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 | Motherboard : Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX | Win : 11.

8 minutes ago, pommy80 said:

I really hope Quality wings comes "back" and releases their 787's for MSFS because there is still a lot to be desired with Asobo 78X.

Don't count on QW to bring a 787 for any sim in the near future. They have pretty much folded up shop.

49 minutes ago, B777ER said:

If you're measuring it against payware, it's no surprise you've come away disappointed.

The default aircraft in this sim and XP v12 are far and away better than ever.

If you've got the 737, you can fly the BBJ for over 6,000nm. That should scratch a bit of the long haul itch.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Agreed. I hadn't flown the 787 in a long time but decided to give it another go after AAU 2. It lacks a long way behind the 310 in my book. 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs