Sign in to follow this  
davenicoll

Tablet for Navigraph

Hi guys,

Decided I want to take my simming to the next level.

In sim I fly exclusively single/twin GA up to PC12 TBM 850 and the Cessna twins.

I would now like to use one in sim for charts etc

I do not own a tablet so looking for advice on 2 pointers.

1) What is the best tablet/memory size available...I would assume I do not need the latest iPad

2) Which is best for simming Navigraph or foreflight. I am not a real world pilot but do like to make my simming as close as possible.

Thank you

16 minutes ago, davenicoll said:

1) What is the best tablet/memory size available...I would assume I do not need the latest iPad

I use a 10 inch Samsung Galaxy s5e for both simming (running Navigraph) and real world flying (running Garmin Pilot / Skydemon). I believe that tablet was launched back in early 2019 and still holds up great for both purposes. 

Regarding which software is better for "simming", my nod will go to Navigraph (+simbrief combo). You get VFR + IFR charts, sectionals, approach charts etc for a reasonable price.

Foreflight has a bunch of features that extends beyond simming and frankly not worth paying for IMHO.  Also geo-referenced approach charts are not available in the basic Foreflight subscription.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 3

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

You do not need a tablet for charts and routes for realiifelike simming.

Why don't you start with little navmap and sky vector before spending a fortune. You may find you already have all you need.

Even Navigraph and or GNXi750 can be used directly off your computer.

Although having your charts hooked to a tablet is sweet.

Ron

• Like 1

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

2 minutes ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

You do not need a tablet for charts and routes for realiifelike simming.

No, you don't need to but having done so I find it's impossible to go back to not having it. I personally use a small laptop as my navigraph screen and a tablet for checklists. If I didn't have a laptop or a tablet to put navigraph on I would stop flying until I did. That's how much of an improvment I found it. Conincidently, I was looking at cheap new laptops for just this purpose this morning as I don't see mine lasting much longer and I found that I can get a decent one for the job for around £370 which is cheaper than some tablets with less power. Just a thought.

As for Little Navmap..... I gave this a go for a couple of weeks recently when I was too skint to afford to renew my Navigraph subscription. Although it's clearly powerful bit of software, especially for free, I found it clunky and obtuse to use with a terrible UI from the mid 90's. It's just plane ugly and unpleasant to use.

Also, using it on another laptop was problematic because the server part caused this odd stutter now and then in my sim which drove me nuts. Suffice it to say, in the end I stopped flying until I could pay Navigraph. I can completely see Little Navmap has its fans and I'm pleased I got around to trying it but in my opinion the user experience of the two is not even comparible. I couldn't wait to give Navigraph my money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

iPad 10” 128g. That’s what I use for ForeFlight and Navigraph. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I agree with all of that Jazz, but if you are just starting out like the original texter seems to be, it all lot of money and time to set up.

I use TDS GTNXi 750 and that is all I really need, but I have Navigraph that I use with Simbrief and I agree, despite having a 32 inch monitor, I am contemplating getting a tablet for convenience.

I just think he should start slow. There is so much to learn and so much available that is free and with easy access for flight planning and charts.

Ron

• Like 1

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414

4 minutes ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

but if you are just starting out like the original texter seems to be

He's been a memeber here since 2004, buddy. I don't think he's new to this😉

Either that or he's the longest forum lurker in history😁

Edited by Jazz
  • Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

iPads are simple and intuitive enough, but obviously it all depends on your budget. Here in the US you can get the latest generation iPad for $329 right now at BestBuy, but if you catch a sale it can be as cheap as $299. 

I use Navigraph and find it very useful. Can’t really comment on Foreflight since I haven’t used it in 10+ years during my flight training years. 

Edited by alex86

You can use Navigraph Charts via a web browser, so you can likely even get buy with a cheap Fire tablet.

28 minutes ago, Jazz said:

He's been a memeber here since 2004, buddy. I don't think he's new to this😉

Either that or he's the longest forum lurker in history😁

And yet he is just deciding to take simming to the next level.

hmmmm.

Ron

Does anybody know if TDS GTNXi can be used on a tablet as well as in the sim. That would certainly tip me over for a tablet. Reading charts inside the sim is not very user friendly

Writing this, it just came to me that I can use Navigraph Charts outside the sim and combine that with my flight plan in TDS. Makes my wish I had bought the PMS version instead now.

Edited by Ron Lefebvre

Ron

4 hours ago, davenicoll said:

Hi guys,

Decided I want to take my simming to the next level.

In sim I fly exclusively single/twin GA up to PC12 TBM 850 and the Cessna twins.

I would now like to use one in sim for charts etc

I do not own a tablet so looking for advice on 2 pointers.

2) Which is best for simming Navigraph or foreflight. I am not a real world pilot but do like to make my simming as close as possible.

Thank you

1- I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8'' with Navigraph Charts but don't even use it because i have all the Navigraph charts on the PMS50 GTN and also on the in-game Navigraph panel or I can use them on my second monitor. No need for a tablet for me.

2- Go with Navigraph, much cheaper and has all you need.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

18 minutes ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

And yet he is just deciding to take simming to the next level.

hmmmm.

Well, Surely that doesn't mean anything though, Ron, does it? We can't really make any assumptions based off of that. I have been doing this simming thing for well over 30 years and I took my simming to the next level just last week by buying better rudder pedals than my hateful Saitek ones. I could take it to another level by buying VR or an ultra wide monitor or just upgrading the PC. The possibilities to take it to the next level are aplenty no matter how long you have been doing this or however much equipment one has. In my experience, many of us are always looking to improve the experience of this thing we do and we do it one step at a time. It's what I have been doing for all these years and has little, well, nothing to do with starting out.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. I don't wish to derail the thread.

Got an iPhone? Run your charts off that. Saves splashing the cash just before xmas, and you can wait and see what comes up in January. 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Got an iPhone? Run your charts off that. Saves splashing the cash just before xmas, and you can wait and see what comes up in January. 

You must have excellent eyes 🤣

I tried this a while ago. Couldn't see a bloody thing. Not to mention my fists of ham and fingers of butter couldn't press any of the buttons as they were teeny tiny.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Well, Surely that doesn't mean anything though, Ron, does it? We can't really make any assumptions based off of that. I have been doing this simming thing for well over 30 years and I took my simming to the next level just last week by buying better rudder pedals than my hateful Saitek ones. I could take it to another level by buying VR or an ultra wide monitor or just upgrading the PC. The possibilities to take it to the next level are aplenty no matter how long you have been doing this or however much equipment one has. In my experience, many of us are always looking to improve the experience of this thing we do and we do it one step at a time. It's what I have been doing for all these years and has little, well, nothing to do with starting out.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. I don't wish to derail the thread.

Naw, your right. taking it to the next level can mean many things to different people. I just assumed and made an A** out of me as they say.

I am with you for the I-phone. My eyes have a hard time already just trying to read things inside the sim.

Although a couple of years ago, that is what a friend of mine was using when flying a real  Cessna.

Ron

Edited by Ron Lefebvre
  • Like 1

Ron