Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

ActiveSky FS Released

2 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Found the boomer…

Heck man, I stream semi-regularly (firmly gen x here btw.). Over the last couple years I've been ignoring Twitch's increasingly strident suggestions / requests / almost-demands that I turn on affiliate status.  This is a game, a hobby, not a job.  I don't need or want anyone's money lol... All my streams do have charity donations enabled though and the community has been pretty generous, raised a couple thousand dollars for various charities so far which is awful nice to see.  Good folks on twitch.  👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

Posted (edited)

Will buy it just to support you @Damian Clark had a great time with AS in P3D. Good to see you back!

Edited by MikeH99
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have to say so far really enjoying it, the clouds seem to look better than in MSFS native Live Weather. Haven't noticed any annoying transitions.

Only thing is, like someone else posted, I haven't seen any rain so far, even when indicated. Will try to do some more testing in that regard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Damian Clark said:

Damian, is there direct compatibility with software which hook into the pre-existing (e.g. Active Sky Next) API? I am attempting to understand if software like Jeehell FMGS (avionics cockpit builder software) weather radar returns can work. 

Thank you,

Ben (http://www.soarbywire.com)

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I know Active Sky got its prestige from other simulators, when their default live weather was very poor or non-existent. However, MSFS has introduced a revolutionary new way of weather depiction by Meteoblue, which uses combined data from radar, weather stations and several climatological parameters, making this and any other weather addon obsolete.

All this data collected by Meteoblue provides a much more accurate depiction than the traditional METAR to METAR. METAR shows weather conditions in one place. In another place a little further away, the weather may be totally different, but ASFS will show that place as having exactly the same weather as the first place.

I repeat again: METAR deciption will NEVER be more accurate than Meteoblue. You can count clouds, compare with live footage or find that the clouds are more beautiful in Active Sky, but the weather in general won't be more realistic. Meteoblue, with its arrangement of information that goes far beyond what a METAR provides from a single location, has the ability to provide more varied and accurate weather depiction for different locations, even isolated ones, far from an airfield without METAR service. Try flying in an isolated location to see how bad ASFS will handle weather injection.

I know Meteoblue isn't perfect and there are cases of a discrepancy in MSFS live weather compared to the real world weather. It will still be more accurate than Active Sky FS, which will suffer even more from these problems, especially flying in a location far from an airfield without METAR service.

Anyway, I hope anyone interested in ASFS can at least wait for MSFS 2024. From what little is known, MSFS 2024 live weather will even be able to generate a tornado via live weather. This alone shows the great improvement it will have in relation to the current MSFS live weather.

We need to look to the future and not be stuck with solutions from the past, which were useful in their era, but now, we are living in a new era of flight simulation.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, abennett said:

Have to say so far really enjoying it, the clouds seem to look better than in MSFS native Live Weather. Haven't noticed any annoying transitions.

Only thing is, like someone else posted, I haven't seen any rain so far, even when indicated. Will try to do some more testing in that regard.

That's very weird. I've gotten rain in many locations today. It even taught me about the thunderstorms in CB metars setting.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, madman320 said:

I know Active Sky got its prestige from other simulators, when their default live weather was very poor or non-existent. However, MSFS has introduced a revolutionary new way of weather depiction by Meteoblue, which uses combined data from radar, weather stations and several climatological parameters, making this and any other weather addon obsolete.

I know Meteoblue isn't perfect and there are cases of a discrepancy in MSFS live weather compared to the real world weather. It will still be more accurate than Active Sky FS, which will suffer even more from these problems, especially flying in a location far from an airfield without METAR service.

Anyway, I hope anyone interested in ASFS can at least wait for MSFS 2024. From what little is known, MSFS 2024 live weather will even be able to generate a tornado via live weather. This alone shows the great improvement it will have in relation to the current MSFS live weather.

Quite the set of conclusive statements.   And your credentials, please?  (and any affiliations pertinent to this discussion)

BTW, what was your most recent dew point in MSFS live weather?

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 5

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Is anyone out there able to do a side-by-side comparison with REX Weather Force (which is what I'm currently using)?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Installed it, all it says is waiting for simulator, it prompted me for the connector already. Nothing written to my exe.xml file. Is there supposed to be something in the community folder? My msfs is on my D drive, I installed AS on C

• Like 1

Sooo ! glancing through the thread what's peoples initial thoughts on AS MSFS ? there seems to be a mixed bag !

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

3 hours ago, Soulflight said:

AS working fine for me, together with flow. Still experimenting with both live weather modes.

But, my question remains: what about the turbulence additions by other apps, FSRealTurb CAT and the low alt turbulence options of FSRealistic. I used both. What should i better deactivate now? Are there any known conflicts?

Turn them all on and make adjustments. They work fine in the Beta. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Does it matter where you install this program?

Can it be installed on a networked machine like prior versions?

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

18 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Quite the set of conclusive statements.   And your credentials, please?  (and any affiliations pertinent to this discussion)

BTW, what was your most recent dew point in MSFS live weather?

Hey, he has made  6 posts.  He must be an expert....😉

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

19 minutes ago, madman320 said:

I repeat again: METAR deciption will NEVER be more accurate than Meteoblue.

Unless I'm mistaken, ASFS uses the GFS (Global Forecast System) weather forecast model to create weather detail outside of METAR reporting stations' radii. That sounds very similar to what MSFS Live Weather does.

It's a free market and people don't necessarily want to wait 6 months or longer for whatever MSFS2024 may or may not bring i.r.o. the default Live Weather function.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter