Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[11MAR17] PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster for FSX and Prepar3D now in Beta!

Captains,

We have a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes at PMDG of late...  Simultaneous work on three different four engine airplanes.

Can you imagine?

Concurrent with our other announcement regarding the 747, tonight we wanted to let you know that we have moved the PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster for FSX, FSX-Steam Edition and Prepar3D into beta testing!

We still have some work to accomplish here but most of it is down to fine tuning the product and bringing in additional functionality that we are really excited to tell you about.

In the mean time, I have a few images of the old girl in Prepar3D- which I think you will find is a breathtakingly great platform for such a product.  The moodiness of the lighting, the clarity, reflective textures, bump mapping and animation capabilities really bring out the nuance and detail of this absolutely fantastic simulation!

Gallery_5.jpg

We are in the process of moving a number of features from the 747-400 into the DC-6, such as sound processing and mouse handling- and we think these will really make this four engined beast feel like a good, well worn second home for PMDG pilots!

Gallery_4.jpg

While I'm showing you some exterior shots, this one in particular is my current favorite because of the shadow model.  I love being able to see the propeller shadows against the fuselage as she sits on the ramp, waiting for the sun to set so that she can ply her trade across the empty sky as she was designed to do.  More so than any jet, a resting propliner actually appears to be resting, would you not agree?

Gallery_2.jpg

Down below here we have a Freight Dog's Delight...  Is it any wonder how much those engines must weigh when it is acceptable to have a freight door that far aft on the airframe?  Almost looks unnatural.

Gallery_9.jpg

As many of you know, I'm a vintage airplane guy...  I have hundreds of hours flying old airplanes, and I regularly fly a DC-3 around the United States.  That means I get giddy when I see shots like the one below, because the level of detail is simply extraordinary.  Screws, plates, safety wires, lenses, color filters and the like- all of it comes to life in magnificent, animated glory.

One of my favorite aspects of this airplane is the subtle variances between engines and indications.  As in real life, no-two-engines are going to behave exactly the same- and the differences must be accounted for and digested without the incredible digital precision allowed in modern era jets.

Gallery_12.jpg

That isn't to say you can be ham fisted and accepting of inaccuracy- because this is a very complex airliner that you are flying.  Precision becomes the masthead upon which you hang your professionalism- and if you fail to mind the store- the airplane will punish you.  She doesn't tolerate being mistreated.

Gallery_13.jpg

But we know some of you will... intentionally, or through inattention to some needle located just outside of your field of view...  So we are teaching the Virtual Flight Engineer how to work in the world of Prepar3D and eventually FSX as well.

When things still go wrong- you will have the ability to get under the hood and run some maintenance and repairs...  After all- none of us want you getting stranded in Nome without a way home!

Stay tuned for more information and images as beta testing progresses.  These are exciting times here at PMDG...  THREE different four engine airplanes in the works all at once.

Pure craziness, I tell you!

• Upvote 8

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Very cool

Bill Barrette 

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Very cool! Man, I love that airplane! Looking forward for this one! 

Ray "Bones" Lemus

Fantastic!  Been waiting for this one.  Really looking forward to it.

15 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Simultaneous work on three different four engine airplanes.

THREE different four engine airplanes?

Now you've definitely got my attention.

EDIT:  Ah - the third one must be the 747-8.  Sorry - for a minute there I was thinking 707 or VC-10 or DC-8 or Convair 880, something along those lines.

But you know what?  You've still got my attention.

Bring 'em on!

5 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

Fantastic!  Been waiting for this one.  Really looking forward to it.

THREE different four engine airplanes?

Now you've definitely got my attention.

Indeed! Let the speculations begin... 
(Currently, I can only think of two?)

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Alan,

Every time I start talking about a 707, Paul Gollnick wanders by my office and sternly barks:  "NO."

(He worked on them... he isn't a fan...)

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Alan,

Every time I start talking about a 707, Paul Gollnick wanders by my office and sternly barks:  "NO."

(He worked on them... he isn't a fan...)

Understood.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

EDIT:  Glad you got the additional screenshots posted.  Because I thought I was on board with this before, but now?  

Yeah.  Ready and waiting.

Alan,

Have you ever met the guy?  He is completely lacking in the whole "romance of the airplane" thing.

We started having internal discussions about rescuing the DC-6 in namibia (the one used to create this product) and housing her with our DC-3 in Virginia.  He called my wife to set up an intervention.

No romance at all, I'm telling you.  WAY too practical.  He has clearly spent too much time in maintenance!  :cool:

• Upvote 3

Sweet. Yet another classic to add to my virtual hangar! Good times!

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

3 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Have you ever met the guy?  He is completely lacking in the whole "romance of the airplane" thing.

Haven't met him but I can sympathize in a way.  I'm the guy who wanders down to maintenance when I'm car shopping to find out all the real stuff that sales won't tell me about.

Of course, now you've got me reading closely between your (tightly written) lines.  Does the vintage airplane romantic win the argument in the end?  Did the intervention work?

Will be watching this space...

The perfect stablemate of my 377 and L049! I already love the bird in XPlane and as a Douglas nostalgic, this beautiful workhorse will be mine!

PMDG keep up the excellence

Cheers

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

Thanks for the update sir, good to know she is already in beta testing.

On the other side that 707 would be Orgasmic!!!! Maybe mr Gollnick just need some sort of vacation...:gaul:

Thank you 

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Looking forward to this. Flying the classics can be so much more intriguing than flying modern airliners. It brings you back to the basic of raw flying.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer