Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Part II: What do you do in "Real Life"..when you aren't simming?

Guest UAL691

Hi All! I'm 51 and been simming around 20 years. I mostly fly LDS 767 which I hope to buy a skelton cockpit from the scrap heap and turn it into a 767. I'm retired Navy after 30 years go hurt in the current Iraq back in 2004, I base myself mostly out of Philippines. But I now reside in bahrain where i'm trying to spread my wings again and go back to work as Asst Director of Lost Prevention here in Bahrain. I fly mostly to myself. Don't fly online although one of these days I will.I see that most my fellow simmers are well experienced. Maybe somebody can talk me into flying on line.I do have some aviation background. ALWAYS been a frustraited airline pilot. I started in the Navy as ATC type and went onto other things from there. Worked for UAL briefly in the early 90's as Station operations at LAX. I met the famous Clay lacy before he retired. He was flying 747-400's but he did the around the world in a 747sp if I recall correctly. I think HKG ATC messed them up on setting any world records.But I love aviation and simming is the place where i can cruise at FL350 and watch a beautiful sunset or sunrise.Cheers,

Guest aafuss

A software developer-mainly coding in Visual Basic.

I'm 57 years old, and live in rural Pennsylvania USA near the flight 93 crash site. I work as a masonry construction foreman, and do mostly water treatment plants and school additions. Have 2 large dogs and a Les Paul guitar, got hooked on flight sims on a Commodore 64! Also enjoy photography, music and collect postal history from the early days of air mail.

I'm a Student, and when I'm not simming, I'm drawing (a frequent activity of mine), or programming (not as much anymore), playing games such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky, Civ 4, Medieval 2 Total War, Space Empires V, Sins of a Solar Empire, Guild Wars, Europa Universalis 3, or X3 Terran Conflict. I also tend to rock out to songs by Metallica, Rammstein, Fear Factory, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Nonpoint, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, and Disturbed, along with groups like Nightwish, Apocolyptica, Evanescence, Saliva, Dragonforce, Rush, Rob Zombie, and even a bit of MC Hawking. And I'm also doing things such as helping my friends fix their computer issues, and occasionally personal issues. The last thing I do is work on some modding and things such as that.Before anyone asks, my day job is my study for school. I'm taking multimedia design courses, and I feel that my best bet is usually to practice drawing and making web sites.

Guest UAEmirates

I'm an A Level student aged 18. And probably when i am not Simming i am doing my coursework and subject classwork, but i also like to read upon theory for flying, as i am also in PPL training, but hopefully soon to do CPL training in Bournemouth.Am not much of a gaming person, because of how Flight sim is right at the top ;) And i find it more enjoyable than other games, especially when flying online within a great atmosphere.I got into the aviation lifestyle only a few years ago, for when i went on my first holiday to Switzerland, to go to Aarau if you were wondering. It just amazed me of how this could all happen and it just got me straight into it ! Thats when i wanted to be a pilot :).Amazing what the smallest of things can do eh ;)Regards,Ollie

Guest gloryforixseal

I have done a few pages here and there, when challenged to do so by some online source. Never thought about a book, but now you all make me want to. Ro, you comment on "the kids can scrap theyre own life but if I die, who will scrap mine" almost made me cry, because, yes, its true. What an awesome window into YOU to leave. Now I need to add an album to my stack just for me.t

I do death penalty defense consulting and training for Illinois capital litigation lawyers. The death penalty is seldom sought and never carried out, so there is not a lot for me to do. Before that I was in private criminal defense practice, where I specialized in the most disgusting crimes imaginable for reasons I'm still not clear about, other than real criminals couldn't afford me, and well-off amateurs tend to jump right into the deep end.I was a Navy JAG, served in the first Gulf war, where I defended accused lesbians on a certain ship in Manama, Bahrain. I even got an award for it, because my stay at the Manama Holiday Inn (which I highly recommend for the buffet) lasted longer than thirty days and I hear there was shooting going on somewhere in that hemisphere at the time.I have written one novel, am the better part of the way through my second, and there are some small airplaney bits. Imagine Dean Koontz meets John Grisham, if nobody had heard of either of them. (I am waiting until I die to get published, lest I lose my humility. At least that is what I tell myself when I drive past Barnes and Noble.) I have been fascinated with the intersection of the supernatural and the legal system since I defended a witch-cult murderer who talked to Satan via a Magic 8 Ball. I edit a state-wide legal publication and write the occasional review for AVSIM.I live across the river from beautiful St. Louis in a small apartment with my Yorkie and First Officer, Buster, who has long since told me every gladiator movie he likes and knows what everything in the cockpit of a 757 is for.

I'm a 38 year old unemployed political activist/event manager/fundraiser. I guess you could say I'm a "Community Organizer". I am beginning my Master's degree in January in Urban Planning with a certificate in Geographic Information Systems. So for now, simming is my real world:)I am married to a wonderful 26 year old woman who is an attorney. I have a fantastic greyhound named Ike - he likes stuffed animals, sleeping, having his butt scratched and killing bunnies.Been in to simming since FS95.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Not much of anything at age 60. Used to be a golf bum but could only get to 5 hdcp consistently.-Callaway X-14 pro irons, extra stiff graphite shafts, cut to steel shaft length. Various driver's and putters.Used to be a guitar bum but could only get to a 5 hdcp consistently.-Mesa Boogie DC-5 head/2x12 Vintage 30 cab, Yamaha DG-12 1x12, Fender Japanese Strat (83') Sperzels + Seymour Duncans.

Not much of anything at age 60. Used to be a golf bum but could only get to 5 hdcp consistently.-Callaway X-14 pro irons, extra stiff graphite shafts, cut to steel shaft length. Various driver's and putters.Used to be a guitar bum but could only get to a 5 hdcp consistently.-Mesa Boogie DC-5 head/2x12 Vintage 30 cab, Yamaha DG-12 1x12, Fender Japanese Strat (83') Sperzels + Seymour Duncans.
No golf, but I do play a '65 Super Reverb, '97 Japanese Strat Reissue of a '62 complete with noisy single coil pickups.Band members:"What's that annoying hum?"Me:"That's not a hum, that's Rock n Roll."Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Retired now, so life is a blast. Former Yacht builder, for 30 years, after finishing a mediocre education. Latterly, well, for the last 15 working years, a special needs teacher (woodwork).

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Guest raptorrod

Just like the movie "Planes Trains and Automobiles", I have them all covered! I have had my PPL since 1985, my senior year in high school. I gained my instrument rating 2 years later. I also have a high performance/complex endorsment. 3 years ago I completed Cessna's course on flying the Garmin G1000 in a brand new 172. The dual axis auto pilot and XM radio will really spoil you!I work for Union Pacifdic Railroad as a Locomotive Engineer, hence the planes, trains, and automobiles. Besides flying real aircraft and MSFS, I enjoy fishing, camping, pheasant and deer hunting.I have 2 favorite aircraft in FSX. 1st is Flight 1's MD80 Pro, and 2nd, is Wilco Publishing's Cessna Citation X.I am a member of iFlyOnline. We are a terrific community of aviation enthusiasts. Come check us out at WWW.iFlyonline.comRod

Hey, glad i share something in common with you -- The Sinclair ZX Spectrum, quite a machine back then. I too have been tinckering with flight simulators from when they were simply moving green dots!!!To date i have failed to raise money to go to flight school. FS is an excellent alternative in the circumstances.I am an Anaesthesiologist, 37, turning 38 soon, with three sweet daughters of 8, 4 and 2yrs.I double back as an IT techie too (qualified).Located in Uganda

Think I replied in the original thread, but ...I'm 46 (about to turn 47 at the end of December), and I have been noodling around with flight sims since the Timex Sinclair ZX (anyone remember that computer?).I'm a college professor who has a dual role: half of my time at work, I teach people how to write decent essays, and the other half I am the co-chair of my department. The teaching is the fun part of my day; the administration is the challenging part.Anyway, I've been married for 14 years and have two beautiful children, a daughter who's six and a son who's eleven.It is really interesting to read who else is involved in this hobby!