Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ramprat

Free Anti-Virus from Microsoft

Hi All,I just installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free anti-virus program that has been out in beta form since June of this year. After telling it to leave FSX and ASA alone, it seems to be leaving a pretty small foot print. FSX runs as well as it ever did. Has anyone else tried it?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi All,I just installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free anti-virus program that has been out in beta form since June of this year. After telling it to leave FSX and ASA alone, it seems to be leaving a pretty small foot print. FSX runs as well as it ever did. Has anyone else tried it?
Yes, it works wonderful and has very few tentacles in the system - it replaces Defender, so it's both and a/v and anti-spyware. Doesn't do anything else. It's nice to have an a/v solution that sticks to being an a/v solution. My previous solution worked well but got incredibly bloated over the years with stuff I didn't need. Seems to function on any client version of Windows, starting with XP SP3 forward in 32 bit or 64 bit flavors.Ars Technica has an article of it here. Highly recommend thus far.D/L link here: Microsoft Security Essentials

Yep,Works better than wonderful!And I did not tell it to leave anything alone.I just installed it and let it do its thing.

Well I just D/Led and installed it. I was out of my subscription from my last AV, so hopefully this works...

Thanks for the heads up.Too many AV products these days feed on fear with all these fancy things like..."anti root kit surf shield Email link defender"...etc. most often driven by some marketing department.

Yes, thanks for the heads-up from me as well. I just rebuilt my system as a Win7 ultimate 64-bit system, and installed this last night after reading this post! :( Jim

Yes, I installed this right after it was released. It's very good, extremely easy to setup and use. They designed it so a third grader could understand it, and that's not a bad thing. :( Curt

... My previous solution worked well but got incredibly bloated over the years with stuff I didn't need. Seems to function on any client version of Windows, starting with XP SP3 forward in 32 bit or 64 bit flavors.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with XP 64 bit (only XP 32 bit), but does work on Vista 64 and Win 7 64 bit versions. :( Brent

Can anyone using this AV comment on the definition updates, are they separate from Windows update or bundled in like Defender is? Thanks.

If this will provide the same level of security as any top pawayre anti-virus application out there, it'll be a massive slap on the face to all the AV software manufacturers.

If this will provide the same level of security as any top pawayre anti-virus application out there, it'll be a massive slap on the face to all the AV software manufacturers.
Ah, the extremism that keeps permeating our society. I commend Microsoft on the release of what appears to be a very good free product. But I also commend the developers that also provide the alternatives that we have all used, free or not: AVG, Avast, NOD32, etc. I'm sure in this competitive market everyone learns from each others releases. Any new technologies or better user services in Microsoft Security Essentials will serve as competitive challenges to the other providers. David Vega