Sign in to follow this  
Cavemanhead

How Big is FSX?

Building new rig and want to leave enough space for growth. How much does FSX + a fair amount of upgrades take in terms of HDD space? By upgrades I mean 5-7 planes, ground environment, Sky environment, and about 10 scenerys.Can anyone estimate?

Building new rig and want to leave enough space for growth. How much does FSX + a fair amount of upgrades take in terms of HDD space? By upgrades I mean 5-7 planes, ground environment, Sky environment, and about 10 scenerys.Can anyone estimate?
it can get pretty big depending on your addons. currently my fsx directory is 72.1 GBi'm using for scenery: UTX usa/can/eur, GEX usa/eu, ORBx (all 4) + the free vfr airports, REX/ASA/ASX, fsgenesis mesh (world + north atlantic), tongas fjords, a few other landclassfor airplanes:pmdg js4100, md-11, ld 767, majestic q300, flight1 mustang, super80, eaglesoft citation x, aero Twotter, carenado skylane2i don't really use any fancy airports or anything other than the free ones that come with orbxhope the info is usefulcheers,andy crosby

Look at the stuff in my signature. All those FS addons plus the operating system are occupying 159 GB on my 500 GB hard drive and I dont even have FS9 installed.A rule of thumb is to never fill the hard drive more than 1/2 way to capacity. In my case the 500 gb hd really starte with 465 bg of free space, so I figure I don't want to go past about 235 gb of used space. I should be fine with a more addon sceneries and planes. If I was going to to it again I would buy a 1 terabyte hd just to have more space.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've got 63 GB in my FSX folder, plus another 12 GB terain mesh in another directory.I've got 349 entries in my Airplanes folder, FTX, UTX USA EU and Canada.

Mike Beckwith

FSX Main Installation Folder: 86.7 GB, 232,484 files. Includes addons that MUST be added to the main installation folder, like UTX, aircraft, etc.Separate Folder for Other Scenery Addons that I link directly to the Scenery Library: 305.0 GB, 333,575 files. A "few" photoscenery products included here. :( Separate folder for "Utility" addons, like Radar Contact, REX, ASA, FS Commander, etc, etc, etc: 8.9 GB, 113,931 files.TOTAL FSX INSTALL: 400.6 GB, 679,931 files. On a 1-Terabyte SATA. They haven't made a vRaptor drive large enough for me yet. :(The above doesn't include "addons" like GEX USA\Canada and GEX Europe that are installed on a separate external hard drive. I run the "interface" applications from there to install the textures, or re-install the backups they made during the original texture replacements they do. It can get as "big" as your wallet allows. Plan for the future. You can never have enough storage space once you start accumulating addons. :( Rick

Rick Ryan

I have Raptor300 for FSX only. There was the time, that it was filled almost to the end - ~280GB. I do not use anymore FS Altitude, have get rid of some older airplanes, still have REX, GEX, UTX, ORBX and ~50 aircrafts + some tools (FSFK, TSR Autobrake and other tiny apps) and it takes ~150GB of data.Regarding the rumors here, I did not noticed ANY difference in Raptor's performance now and the times, when it was filled up. Benchmarks and FSX loading times are exactly the same. The drawback of filled disk is the defrag and backup takes much more time.Please note You need additional data for OS and another programs if You will need them - i.e. Vista Ultimate + basic apps like Fraps, Norton 360, WinRar etc takes full 32GB SDD disc.

Addons like GEX don't need to be on that Raptor drive. They are just taking up valuable space on it. GEX runs OUTSIDE of FSX BEFORE you run FSX. It simply replaces texture files in the FSX folder on the Raptor. You'd be better off putting things like GEX on an external hard drive or a separate hard drive other than the drive your FSX is on, to free up space on the FSX drive.

Rick Ryan

Addons like GEX don't need to be on that Raptor drive. They are just taking up valuable space on it. GEX runs OUTSIDE of FSX BEFORE you run FSX. It simply replaces texture files in the FSX folder on the Raptor. You'd be better off putting things like GEX on an external hard drive or a separate hard drive other than the drive your FSX is on, to free up space on the FSX drive.
I know you don't mean it, but it sounds like your recommending putting the GEX textures on another drive.Just wanted to makes sure because that would really screw things up.

I know you don't mean it, but it sounds like your recommending putting the GEX textures on another drive.Just wanted to makes sure because that would really screw things up.
How so? I have GEX , GEX Europe, and REX 2.0 all installed on a different harddrive then the one FSX is on. No issues at all, infact I think for GEX it is suggested.

How so? I have GEX , GEX Europe, and REX 2.0 all installed on a different harddrive then the one FSX is on. No issues at all, infact I think for GEX it is suggested.
I was referring to the replacement textures that GEX installs not the app that installs them. Shouldn

I was referring to the replacement textures that GEX installs not the app that installs them. Shouldn

Rick Ryan

I was referring to the replacement textures that GEX installs not the app that installs them. Shouldn’t these textures be on the same drive as FSX? The textures they replace are.
Well after you run the application they are on your fsx drive in fsx scenery. But the huge database which takes up alot of space remains on the other. :(What Rick said

A rule of thumb is to never fill the hard drive more than 1/2 way to capacity. In my case the 500 gb hd really starte with 465 bg of free space, so I figure I don't want to go past about 235 gb of used space. I should be fine with a more addon sceneries and planes.
I fail miserably at that assumption. I have a WD 250GB, with only 35 GB free right now. It has Vista, and all my games, software, photos, music, plus my enormous FSX folders lolMy other HDD used to be external but now is internal, and has over 200GB free, but I mainly keep my photos on it (backup ones) and import files, from school, or payware FS titlesAlso I have a small 36GB WD Raptor in which I have the base FS9 and FSX install folders

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm the opposite. I run a 150Gb Velciraptor and try and keep it as lean as possible (<50Gb). I don't ram every aircraft and scenery onto it that I can see. More bloat, less speed.All these addons that end in X seem to take up lots of space though !

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU