Sign in to follow this  
jcalder

What do PMDG Pilots do in real life?

I live about 30 minutes SW of KABI in my V35B. I pay for my FS by writing and economic research. My aviation career started over 42 years ago in the military. My only claim to aviation fame is flying over 2000 hours in SE Asia. I've flown everything from O-1's to a DC-10's, and H-47's to a SK-65's. My favorite flying job was the 24 months I spent teaching insturments and the U-21 qualification course in the military. Bill Bridges
Dang Bill, I lived in Abilene for 5.5 years!I've been simming since FS5, been in the USAF since 1990. I've been a crew chief on KC-135Rs and Ts at KIAB for 13 years, then cross-trained and became an FE on C-130Es and Hs out at KDYS. I just moved over to the MC-130H and am currently located at KHRT. I love to fly and I love to sim! I have a few hours as a student, was working on my PPL, but then I cross-trained and haven't really gotten back into it. I thoroughly believe that because of FS, I was able to solo and do as well as I did in such a short time. I believe this will be my last assignment before I retire from the Air Force, so it's more than high time I finished my PPL! It's good to read a little bit about all of you, nice idea this thread!

I'm glad I'm not scared of heights, in these pictures you can see me standing on a really small expanded metal platform I welded on for positioning of the pipes for installation. Just another day at the office!173025-original.jpg173026-original.jpgJeff Calder

Jeff Calder

A vehicle mechanic in real life - anyhting from bottle jacks! bikes to tanks and everything in between for the MOD UK :( Always been keen on flight simming though - even had one on a TRS-80. Btw Bill and Dan - one of the next projects for Aerosoft is the OV-10 Bronco (FSX)... funny how some things just crop up.John Ellison
Anywhere near Old Sarum? Just curious with the pic of the Optica.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I'm a 4th year apprentice chef in Sydney, im growing a little tired of working split shifts and weekends so come january next year I will have a career change hopefully into car mechanics or structural aircraft maintainence engineering for qantas. Been keen on simming since fs95 and am enjoying the js-4100. Another hobbyof mine is aviation photography infact I'm sitting next to the runway at yssy right now waiting for a runway change through the magic of the iphone haha, there goes a china eastern a330-200 nowcheers, Luke Stevens

Anywhere near Old Sarum? Just curious with the pic of the Optica.
Yup Gavin, only down the road from me as such :( Love the Optica, worst decision of my life was to turn down a ride in one - or maybe not, as windy lol.John Ellison

Hi allI'm an ATC at LFPG, and a huge fan of PMDG !Can't wait for the 737...Charles

I am a 38 year old 737-800 First Officer for American Airlines out of LAX. The first thing every Captain I fly with that I tell I fly FS asks me is "Don't you get enough of this at work?" Obviously no. Flying these planes in FS gives me a chance to learn about the systems and procedures of planes I will never get to fly at American. I have the PMDG 737 but rarely fly it for obvious reasons. I spend most of my time in the MD-11 and when I'm not flying that I fly my 747 or 767.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Hi allI'm an ATC at LFPG, and a huge fan of PMDG !Can't wait for the 737...Charles
Hi Charles,How much of LFPG traffic does FedEx account for? I believe their European hub is there.Thanks, Bruce.

And here comes the next professional musician... Classical violinist and music teacher, 44 years old. "Classical" doesn't necessarily mean I don't like other music, just before anyone asks. I'm just earning my money with that...

I am from Toronto, Canada. I was born in the city of Vitoria(Victory) in Brazil, I am currently grade 12 in high school and I am studying to become a fighter pilot for the canadian forces since it's a dream since I was 5 and the only way to pursue my dream of flying since my single mother can't afford my education. If I make it I will be really happy to defend the people and the beauty from this amazing country called Canada.

Hi Charles,How much of LFPG traffic does FedEx account for? I believe their European hub is there.Thanks, Bruce.
Hi Bruce,You're right, their european hub is at CDG.Compared with our total traffic, it does not account for a huge amount. The difficult part with FedEX traffic is that they all come at night, and as you said in a hub.During daytime, there are only a few FedEX flight coming in or out of CDG.They arrive between 2300 and 0030 local time. And they leave at around 0400. During a good night, there can be more than 30 flights in the hub.The difficulty is that first, we have strict environmental procedures in CDG, especially at night, and that the aircraft types are not really easy to mix:the feeders have old ATR42,BAe ATP,Embraer Brasilias... that you have to mix with MD11,A300, and A310...On final, the MD11 sometimes has more than 160IAS, whereas prop aircraft can go down to around a 100IAS, so you have to be cautious.And when they depart, those same prop climb at around 170IAS, when some of the MD11 go for example in Germany...which means their performance is round those of an F16 !Hope that answers your question!Charles

Good to see some New Zealanders lurk around on this forum (any one from Dunedin out there?). I'm a 60 year old Kiwi. Been a policeman for the last 37 years in Dunedin. Used to be an instructor in the Otago Gliding Club way back in the 70's and 80's before it shut it's doors. Was the CFI for a while. Have 1000 hours of gliding in my log book.Interesting to see such a wide age group and verious occupations.Bruce RossDunedin New Zealand

Bruce Ross

Yup Gavin, only down the road from me as such :( Love the Optica, worst decision of my life was to turn down a ride in one - or maybe not, as windy lol.John Ellison
My parents live in Boscombe Down, my mother spent most of her working life at A&AEE as it was then know. I did a year's 'work experience' there and managed to wangle myself a trip in the Basset once. Also got taken for a spin by the AAC at Middle Wallop in a Gazelle as a 'thank you' for some work I did for them - that was fun :( Shame you missed out on an Optica trip, but then I can understand the windy bit ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hi Bruce,You're right, their european hub is at CDG.Compared with our total traffic, it does not account for a huge amount. The difficult part with FedEX traffic is that they all come at night, and as you said in a hub.During daytime, there are only a few FedEX flight coming in or out of CDG.They arrive between 2300 and 0030 local time. And they leave at around 0400. During a good night, there can be more than 30 flights in the hub.The difficulty is that first, we have strict environmental procedures in CDG, especially at night, and that the aircraft types are not really easy to mix:the feeders have old ATR42,BAe ATP,Embraer Brasilias... that you have to mix with MD11,A300, and A310...On final, the MD11 sometimes has more than 160IAS, whereas prop aircraft can go down to around a 100IAS, so you have to be cautious.And when they depart, those same prop climb at around 170IAS, when some of the MD11 go for example in Germany...which means their performance is round those of an F16 !Hope that answers your question!Charles
Thanks Charles, very interesting.Bruce.