Sign in to follow this  
dazz

PMDG update, awesome vid + 2D panel screenshot + more...

Looks like it simply was just almost finished, nothing to do with other projects:
With respect, it's pretty clear that the latest flurry of info from PMDG is an effort to divert attention, and customers, away from the ifly product which is close to release.The parts of Robert's email that you highlight actually support this. Until this point there have been repeated statements that the NGX is not in beta - now they say it has been in beta for a month, and it seems to me that they are calling their alpha a beta now (eg, it's in beta, but not the broader beta team). PMDG never give release dates - now they say they will give an 'estimated' release date. Hang on, wasn't there another estimated release date of 2010?I am a long-time PMDG customer, but honestly with all the antics that have been going on around the NGX, I really don't know what we can make of the latest update that PMDG has given except what is abundantly clear, that the intent of that update is some degree of damage control - to divert customers from the iFly release.In some ways this says a lot about the the threat that the iFly product represents to PMDG.Don't be surprised if we get our 'estimated' release date on the day that the iFly product is released (damage control Part II).Regards,Justin
That runway lighting is incredible! Have they actually figured out a way to illuminate fs objects? I wonder if these lights will illuminate other objects such a terminal or other aircraft?
The Aerosoft Airbus X already has this feature. If the NGX lights are like those on the Airbus X, they will illuminate objects.

For the fans/potential buyers of the PMDG, you can thank iFly for making the current onslaught of PMDG news about their NGX a reality... it has nothing to do with what is left to do, it's all about the bottom line... salesIt works like this - string customers along as long as you can to sell... sell what you ask? SELL everything you currently have for sale of course! Can't get the NGX, well here we have 4 other planes you can BUY while you wait .. enjoy ;) Meanwhile just relax and enjoy one of our other offerings while we keep working on our next super release.That is until the dealer across the street offers a brand new similar product for sale BEFORE the one you are waiting for. Then suddenly, as you start walking out the door the salesman grabs your arm with one of those salespeople smiles and says, "wait, just wait I have something to show you - believe me it will be worth the wait!" :( ALL is in good fun folks/fannies don't take this the wrong way :( it's really cool that people waiting for these things will soon get their hands on them!

JusJ, I think Falcon99 started talking about the beta on 23/4. Not officially, but his posts were pretty clear.But in any event - why on earth would PMDG *not* push to compete with the IFly? In business first-to-market is usually going to have an advantage. If PMDG weren't bothering to compete, I'd thing they were nuts.Some of the posts here read like it's vaguely surprising that PMDG should want to react to competition.

Paul Skol

Paul, I'm not saying they shouldn't try to compete with ifly. It's a free market. I'm just saying to those that think otherwise that the latest updates from PMDG are solely for that purpose. I do wish PMDG would play it straight with us though...Kernel32 really hit it on the head in his post. Stringing customers along is what I was implying... but thought may be a bit inflammatory to say

That runway lighting is incredible! Have they actually figured out a way to illuminate fs objects? I wonder if these lights will illuminate other objects such a terminal or other aircraft?
They will illuminate objects. This technology is not entirely new tho, Lotus sim implemented it for their Albatros and Aerosoft did it for their Airbus X as well

With respect, it's pretty clear that the latest flurry of info from PMDG is an effort to divert attention, and customers, away from the ifly product which is close to release.The parts of Robert's email that you highlight actually support this. Until this point there have been repeated statements that the NGX is not in beta - now they say it has been in beta for a month, and it seems to me that they are calling their alpha a beta now (eg, it's in beta, but not the broader beta team). PMDG never give release dates - now they say they will give an 'estimated' release date. Hang on, wasn't there another estimated release date of 2010?I am a long-time PMDG customer, but honestly with all the antics that have been going on around the NGX, I really don't know what we can make of the latest update that PMDG has given except what is abundantly clear, that the intent of that update is some degree of damage control - to divert customers from the iFly release.In some ways this says a lot about the the threat that the iFly product represents to PMDG.Don't be surprised if we get our 'estimated' release date on the day that the iFly product is released (damage control Part II).Regards,Justin
Even if it was a reaction to the IFly inminent release, what's wrong with that? I mean welcome to the real world. The competition is one of the reasons they've kept things to themselves, and as stated before, competition is a good thing for everyone. Personally I would prefer different developers to focus on different planes, but that's not my decision and the 737 is a very popular airliner, so it's no surprise that conflicts like this arise. We'll have the same thing going with the T7Success attracts haters but at the end of the day it's the quality of the product and support what matters. Most of the whiners will be getting the NGX if it's as good as it looks anyway you know. Well, I wish IFly a lot of hate for the future because that will be a good sign for them and for us simmers. I have definitely bookmarked them as a worth to follow dev along with PMDG, Flight Sim Labs, LevelD and Leonardo

Hi,This I absolutely agree with 100%, and I thank iFly and look forward to their release. I'm also looking forward to PMDG's offering as well. I think both companies are going to do well with sales and the only developer than needs to worry is Ariane Design.

For the fans/potential buyers of the PMDG, you can thank iFly for making the current onslaught of PMDG news about their NGX a reality.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I like how PMDG was getting trashed repeatedly for not announcing anything about the 737 NGX only to release a juicy amount of information and immediately they get trashed again. Do you really think PMDG cares or watches the development of iFly's product? Just let the two co-exist instead of making up theories about the timing of PMDG's announcement.

Hi,For some of us, it has nothing to do with the latest batch of information. It's been the lack of info since the beginning of the year and as soon as iFly gives the Gift of Site winners their aircraft, which indicates an almost immediate release, we get all these updates as well as a beta announcement. If they were in Beta a month ago as they state, they could of released the Beta announcement then, but didn't. Guess they didn't realize how far along iFly was with their beta. If you keep your customers in the dark and your competitor releases a good product of the same type, you may lose sales. That's the reason/timing for this flood of info/updates, its an attempt to keep potential customers. If it weren't for iFly, we would still be in the dark and that's what bothers me. It seems as though they could care less about updating their potential customers, but as soon as the possibility exists of lost sales to another company, here comes the info/updates.Personally I think they did a poor job in regards to the release of information throughout the entire build process, but hey its not my company. I do however think its great that I will soon have a decent B737 in my hangar.As far as the "Do you really think PMDG cares or watches the development of iFly's product?" in a word "YES", they would be foolish not to. Its their competition and based on the sudden flood of information because of the soon to be released iFly 737, it would seem they are keeping a very close eye on iFly. Not that I blame them, I know I would, if it were my company.

I like how PMDG was getting trashed repeatedly for not announcing anything about the 737 NGX only to release a juicy amount of information and immediately they get trashed again. Do you really think PMDG cares or watches the development of iFly's product?

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

With respect, it's pretty clear that the latest flurry of info from PMDG is an effort to divert attention, and customers, away from the ifly product which is close to release.
I don't disagree with that sentiment. There can be no doubt that PMDG feels threatened by the impending IFLY release. If the IFLY was just a lite product, there would be no concern. But judging from reviews I've seen of the iFLY FS9 NG, it seems to be as full featured as the PMDG offering, with the right amount of external addon support (FS2crew, Navigraph AIRAC data, TOPCAT compatibility) to ensure that die hard systems fanatics (which used to be the exclusive domain of PMDG and LevelD) are not left out. I am most likely going to pass on the iFLY product and buy the PMDG, since it appears both are going be released about the same time, but I'd have no qualms getting the iFLY FSX if it seemed the PMDG was not going to be ready by summer. I'm guessing now that PMDG's NG will be ready by the end of this month, I'd hate to spend the money on the IFLY only for it go into the hangar once the PMDG bird takes flight.I love the competition going on, and everyone is going to benefit, as both are sure to bring their A game! And it makes for good reading on the forums in the leadup to see who is out the door first. It's truly an exciting time to be a FSX fanatic!

They will illuminate objects. This technology is not entirely new tho, Lotus sim implemented it for their Albatros and Aerosoft did it for their Airbus X as well
Since I don't own either product this is big news to me and a big plus in realism.Thanks for the info Johan!

Looks absolutely stunning, not what I would normally fly, but that is in danger of getting me into the big iron......G
Ditto. This is pretty much a no-brainer purchase for me!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you are the first person to sell hot cakes, then they will sell like, erm, hot cakes. Even if someone promises to be here tomorrow with some different, slightly fancier hot cakes.Although an Ariane FSX NG has been available for a while, to many people because of their perception of Ariane (rightly or wrongly depending on your opinion) that's too much of a risky or costly proposition, and so many regard the iFly and the PMDG NGs as the hot cakes they will consider buying.That being the case, regardless of the iFly and PMDGs relative merits, and I think we can all agree that the PMDG offering is the cake with the extra topping, they are not so different as to further concede that a good many will buy the first one to become available, since it has been such a long wait for this particular cake. iFly do have another ace up their sleeve of course in the guise of a low price tag for anyone who has their FS9 version, which is a tough one to counter unless PMDG offers the same deal. Unlikely I would have thought.Thus it is more than apparent that with iFly looking at the moment like they are going to be first past the post in this particular race, PMDG will want to ameliorate the situation, which is almost certainly the reason for the rash of news. I can't say I blame them either; with four years of development to account for in sales as the payday for all that effort, I'd do the identical thing - and probably more besides - in order to steal iFly's thunder if it was my company which was competing against them for those prospective early adopter sales. That's nothing more than common business sense from a marketing standpoint, and frankly, I'd think less of them as a savvy business if they actually didn't try to do that.A good many people will no doubt buy both, or all three in my case (since I bought the Ariane one too, and I'll be having that CS 200 series as well when that shows up) but not everyone is going to do that. So, short of indulging in downright sabotage, all marketing tactics are acceptable in the battle for sales. Nothing wrong with that.One thing is for sure, there'll be a shedload of digital 737's whizzing around the virtual FSX skies all over the world in the next few weeks. Personally, I'm very happy about that.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi,Al, why did you have to go there?, now I want Hot Cakes..... :(

If you are the first person to sell hot cakes, then they will sell like, erm, hot cakes. Even if someone promises to be here tomorrow with some different, slightly fancier hot cakes.Al

Well, you will note that it does say that's what I like in my forum ID bit under 'interests', so you should note that cake could potentially be mentioned in any post I make. Therefore, avoid reading anything I write if this presents a potential midnight snack risk.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here